Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Would people be happy with Morata as the striker? Him, Giroud, Sanogo and Campbell? I dont know enough about him to judge but going by his Wiki page he hasnt scored a lot for the first team but was banging them in for the reserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

When ya think back rvp, ade, then giroud all great hold up players but not blessed with great pace

His philosophy had changed look even eat sanogo, so I don't think we will get the striker we all crave

Yep I agree but problem is we have had zero success trophywise although there where many other factors.

I love pace in a team but other teams have had huge success without it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Would people be happy with Morata as the striker? Him, Giroud, Sanogo and Campbell? I dont know enough about him to judge but going by his Wiki page he hasnt scored a lot for the first team but was banging them in for the reserves.

I don't know a lot about him but he is definately a one for the future signing more so than a straight up challenge o Giroud.

I would like something better but will take whats given!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

gnfnrhead wrote: »

I watch Madrid a lot as I am married into a family of season ticket holders, he is a class act and a fantastic signing

he is going to be a revelation at Arsenal

mark my words

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Adebayor had loads of pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

So much for a plan B if that rumour is true.

Giroud, Morata and Sanogo all 6'3"+ and all to my eye similar types of players, though I can't comment on Morata too much having only seen him twice for Real. Sanogo has a bit more pace, Giroud is probably technically better with the flicks etc and Morata?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

cson wrote: »
    So much for a plan B if that rumour is true.

Giroud, Morata and Sanogo all 6'3"+ and all to my eye similar types of players, though I can't comment on Morata too much having only seen him twice for Real. Sanogo has a bit more pace, Giroud is probably technically better with the flicks etc and Morata?

I reckon Walcott will be a plan b up top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Still think we are losing out massively by not playing another striker off Giroud. Someone with a bit of pace and more clinical would thrive off having Giroud behind/along side them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

farna_boy wrote: »
    Still think we are losing out massively by not playing another striker off Giroud. Someone with a bit of pace and more clinical would thrive off having Giroud behind/along side them.

I guess Walcott is meant to be that guy. Look at the way he played against City especially in the second half. Theo effectively becomes the second striker.

What I would like to see is back up or similar player to Theo come in to as he is going to be injury prone now. A Pedro or a Tello would work wonderfully well at Arsenal.

Theo is probably a striker option for us for certain games next season.

I guess Walcott is meant to be that guy. Look at the way he played against City especially in the second half. Theo effectively becomes the second striker.

What I would like to see is back up or similar player to Theo come in to as he is going to be injury prone now. A Pedro or a Tello would work wonderfully well at Arsenal.

Theo is probably a striker option for us for certain games next season.

Pedro in this team would be unbelievable id say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I wouldn't be taking Ballagues word as gospel in any case, he's even given himself a pretty major out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Can't see them buying another if that's true especially with Sanogo showing potential. Draxler will be the big money signing.

I'd be happy enough with that Morata and Draxler two big prospects adding to what we already have, ok not the big CF we all want but I would be happy enough with that.

Also look at the defensive side maybe a young DM or RB/CB depending on who departs in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I wouldn't be taking Ballagues word as gospel in any case, he's even given himself a pretty major out.

This is exactly it.

Im sure there is an interest alright but how far along it is anyones guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone believing we will spend big and sign 2 or 3 big players is deluding themselves.
    We might get one. Might not.

Anyone believing we will spend big and sign 2 or 3 big players is deluding themselves.

Draxler would be the big one, Morata the smaller deal were it to happen that is.

This time last year if anyone had said Arsenal will sign Ozil for 40 million we all would have scoffed at the idea.

Ya true but we might see two 15-20 million players though.

I think we will definitely sign a striker of some sort maybe a Morata, Remy type more than a Costa/Cavani size signing.

Still think he will bring in a big midfield signing and with Sagna and Vermaelen situations not looking positive we will be forced into defensive signings.

I think there will be a lot of activity but agree that it won't be two huge blockbuster signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Great to see Joell Campbell whacking one in against united, I've had faith in him for a while! :)

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Great to see Joell Campbell whacking one in against united, I've had faith in him for a while! :)

I don't mean to burst the bubble or anything but was he not originally an out and out striker that has been somewhat shunted to the wing?

Wonderful goal and all last night but overall I wasn't bowled over with excitement about having him back in August?

Maybe I am completely off track?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Yeah, we get all hyped up, like in the summer. All the big names bandied about, that is usually the sum of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Draxler in the summer hopefully I cant see much else coming in tbh

I reckon hernandez of man united is exactly what we need clinical lightening fast and a minute to goal ratio to drool over and he will surely be itching to leave united in the summer.

I agree with earlier poster its a shame walcott is injured again him playing of giroud is exactly what we need right now.
    It really cant be put into words how much were missing theo and ramsey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Giroud is going to tear the **** out of everything next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

gosplan wrote: »

He's scored more than I thought this year, been bad for a few games but I hope he'll finish the season in style :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

TheGunns wrote: »
    He's scored more than I thought this year, been bad for a few games but I hope he'll finish the season in style :D

He's still young for his style and physique. Think Drogba was maybe moving from league 1 at the equivalent age.

Also he's played a rediculous amount this year. Probably as much as any outfield top flight player anywhere.

He just needs the odd game off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

astonaidan wrote: »
    Guess that means Villa wont be getting Young back next season:mad:,

Top class lol

gosplan wrote: »

Especially Page 3 "models"

• Advertisement

Adebayor had loads of pace.

A hungry Ade is a beast of a player

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

he really is - doing well for spurs this season, keeping them in contention for european spots. just about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Id rather go for Griezmann in the summer over Draxler.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Id rather go for Griezmann in the summer over Draxler.

Id b fairly happy with either of them. Pace and goals from wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Well, given that I know next to nothing of either, and Draxler seems to be the one Wenger is interested in despite costing more, I'd take that as a decent reason for preferring Draxler.

• Advertisement

shano_88 wrote: »
    Id b fairly happy with either of them. Pace and goals from wide.

Watching Draxler tonight again he definitely is a number 10 playing wide left. I know this may be unpopular but I would not be happy with us spending 30 million + on him at the expense of other players. As for this idea of converting him into a striker? Could we not spend 30 million....on a striker??

Regarding wide left, he consistently drifts in field a la Podolski or Cazorla so offers little width and pace wise he is not exceptional. Again I know this seems overly critical without meaning it to be - basic point he is a superbly brilliantly gifted footballer who will be a massive success in the 10 position but for me he is not what we need right now given the abundance of options we have in his best position.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

From the press conference: Vermaelen and Ozil are back in the squad, doubts over Monreal and Gibbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Any update on Ramsey?? Still Spurs game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Ah he is only a beast of a player when it comes to new contract time .

All our games in April been shown on sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

All our games in April been shown on sky

Wish I'd seen that before I renewed with BT Sport!

Ah he is only a beast of a player when it comes to new contract time .

Get him on a rolling contract so :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

greendom wrote: »
    Wish I'd seen that before I renewed with BT Sport!

arsenal couldn't have been shown by them again away, they used their quota for arsenal, l'pool & man u too i think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

utter scum some stoke fans are!

imageuploadedbytapatalk1393499429-612182-jpg.465547
    Quite unbelievably, the Stoke fans are planning to applaud on Saturday in the minute Ramsey had his leg broken there, 4 years ago

I don't mind at all if Spurs win tonight. It means they'll be playing away at Benfica 3 days before we go to WHL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don't mind at all if Spurs win tonight. It means they'll be playing away at Benfica 3 days before we go to WHL.

Some dive by Vertongen. Did he get hit by an exocet?

Some dive by Vertongen. Did he get hit by an exocet?

And absolutely no mention of over-reaction from Townsend. He really is an awful pundit. As bad as they get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I don't know which was more embarrassing...the dive or the way they celebrated after hanging on against 10 men from the fourth placed team in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

Yep. Worked out nicely for us alright. Got to go and beat them there now.

Apologies - they play Benfica at home, not away, just before they play us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Stat on Ozil.
    73 - Mesut Özil has created more chances for team-mates than any other player in the top five leagues this season

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/439143040679022592

Despite what people have been saying he's been nothing short of worldclass.

Jaafa wrote: »
    Stat on Ozil.

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/439143040679022592

Despite what people have been saying he's been nothing short of worldclass.

No he hasn't. Iv said before that some of the criticism has been wrong but equally some of the hyperbole and defence of his performances as encapsulated in the above statement are equally ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

No he hasn't. Iv said before that some of the criticism has been wrong but equally some of the hyperbole and defence of his performances as encapsulated in the above statement are equally ridiculous.

Stats can be misleading but for me most chances created of any player in the top five leagues qualifies as world class. If we had someone who could better convert those chances there'd be no argument here.

I think if we don't get anything other than a win at Stamford bridge we won't win the league

• Advertisement

Jaafa wrote: »
    Stats can be misleading but for me most chances created of any player in the top five leagues qualifies as world class. If we had someone who could better convert those chances there'd be no argument here.

Exactly it's easier and more popular to criticize the player who cost big money than the players who haven't got a spotlight shone on them by the media and fans. We have been far to flat recently everytime we attack and one player seems to be taking the brunt of it.

I've said it before but with Ramsey and Walcott playing I think there would be far less criticism of Ozil they give him the options he needs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement