Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an xbmc player

• 25-01-2014 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good xbmc player that will play Netflix etc for my bedroom. I've an Apple TV 2 downstairs with everything on it but want something (max €60) for the bedroom

I was using a neotv 200 but had stopped playing Netflix now

Anyone got any recommendations?
    Was going to get the Apple TV 3 as advertised here in bargains but I'd have no xbmc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

I'm also looking at getting the same thing, but haven't got that far yet so I can't advise if any particular products are better than others..
    Here's what I'm looking at currently:

You can get a raspberry pi with xbmc for around that price. There are variations on the OS, but they all do more or less the same thing. Prices vary, as does the amount of work you have to put into it.

That then led me onto these similar boxes on ebay:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2013-Dual-Core-Android-4-2-Smart-TV-Box-Pro-Media-Player-1080P-WIFI-HDM-XBMC-/131100383851?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Internet_TV_Media_Streamers&hash=item1e86311a6b

They look like they have everything you need, but again, I haven't got one.... yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Just bought one of the following and waiting for it to arrive.....http://www.geekbuying.com/item/T-R42-Quad-Core-Google-Android-4-2-2-RK3188-28nm-Cortex-A9-1-6-GHz-Mini-TV-BOX-HDMI-HDD-Player-2G-8G-BT-RJ45-External-Wifi-Antenna-with-IR-Remote-Controller-Black-317424.html

Worth checking on this website as very good value compared to alot of other website I was looking at....only problem is you could get hit with VAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

I think this is a newer version of the one that Big Nelly recommended
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quad-Android-1-8GHz-Output-HI718/dp/B00E7OSRBE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391088452&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+tv+box

It's from amazon so you won't get stung by customs

• Registered Users Posts: 24 wibbleman

For Netflix I would go for a Chromecast.. Works great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Just bought one of the following and waiting for it to arrive.....http://www.geekbuying.com/item/T-R42-Quad-Core-Google-Android-4-2-2-RK3188-28nm-Cortex-A9-1-6-GHz-Mini-TV-BOX-HDMI-HDD-Player-2G-8G-BT-RJ45-External-Wifi-Antenna-with-IR-Remote-Controller-Black-317424.html

Worth checking on this website as very good value compared to alot of other website I was looking at....only problem is you could get hit with VAT

Did it arrive yet? Can you post up a quick review once you get it?

• Advertisement

Mickalus wrote: »
    Did it arrive yet? Can you post up a quick review once you get it?
    Will do

Hasnt arrived yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

wibbleman wrote: »
    For Netflix I would go for a Chromecast.. Works great

Hmmm...Can't buy it here (easily) AND it doesn't run XBMC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

I've been keeping an eye out the last 6 months for a device to run xbmc off but there doesnt seem to be a perfect one. They all seem to have cons with the pros.

So I was thinking of building a micro server (running windows xp) and leave it connected to my tv (via HDMI) Something small and neat like this :
    viamservs2100sideview.jpg
    I still have to look into the costing of it but I cant imagine it would cost anymore than 300 spondoolas?
    At least with the windows method, I know I wont have any performance issues and I can easily update xbmc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Windows XP - MS are shutting down support for it in April.

I've been keeping an eye out the last 6 months for a device to run xbmc off but there doesnt seem to be a perfect one. They all seem to have cons with the pros.

At least with the windows method, I know I wont have any performance issues and I can easily update xbmc

300 quid just to run Xbmc is mad to be honest, there is loads of systems out there about a third of the price and would be deemed expensive to run Xbmc......

I wont say anything about you having no performance issues with windows:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

300 quid just to run Xbmc is mad to be honest, there is loads of systems out there about a third of the price and would be deemed expensive to run Xbmc......

I wont say anything about you having no performance issues with windows:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Well to run something as simple as XBMC, Windows will be fine I think.
    My friend is already doing this but he has a full size p.c connected to the tv. I want something a little neater.

I'd be interested to hear though about one of the systems you are referring to that can do the job with ease for a fraction of the price..

No it's not. There are different classes of HTPC.

Some people are happy with a slow system that takes 5 seconds to click into their library, 5 minutes to update the library, stutters with high bitrate content, always crashes and has basic playback capabilities.

Other people want something faster, more stable, maybe with HD audio, frame-packed 3D, enough grunt for HEVC when the time comes etc. Something that can run sabnzbd in the background and won't hang if sab is unpacking while they're watching a movie.

It's great that you can get a €50-100 box that will run XBMC but to say that a €300 system is 'mad' is simply wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 wibbleman

I run XBMC on an ION based small PC (ASROCK HD330) and also on an Apple TV v2.. The apple TV works great but the small PC is better (I have a usb tuner plugged in so I can stream live TV around the house). It is all a question of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

If you are after a microserver, you should consider this. No OS and one small HD but lot's of room for expansion. I added a HDMI card and more ram, windows 7 and XBMC, works very well and low power. Very cheap too!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056206048&page=98

So I was thinking of building a micro server (running windows xp) and leave it connected to my tv (via HDMI) Something small and neat like this :
    viamservs2100sideview.jpg
    I still have to look into the costing of it but I cant imagine it would cost anymore than 300 spondoolas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Hi,
    Is this any good and worth the money?
    http://www.donedeal.ie/tv-for-sale/dreambox-xbmc-android-box/6127435
    Any advice appeciated.
    Thanks,
    Woody

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Raspberry Pi with Openelec installed but set to run off a USB rather than SD card (still needed to boot) and away ya go.

I have had many XBMC set ups (ATV2, OUYA, Raspberry Pi) and I must say my current Rpi config is the best.

Woodgate wrote: »
    Hi,
    Any advice appeciated.
    Thanks,
    Woody

Does nothing that a €30ish Raspberry Pi cant do.

degsie wrote: »
    Does nothing that a €30ish Raspberry Pi cant do.

Raspberry Pi costs lot more than € 30ish though. It's more like €100ish

Raspberry Pi costs lot more than € 30ish though. It's more like €100ish

Around €42 from CPC

Around €42 from CPC

Don't you think you need a power adaptor/case/USB-Wireless Dongle etc it's going up to 70 when you add all those, then if you need wireless keyboard/remote it's another 20. so it's nowhere close to €30ish.

• Advertisement

Don't you think you need a power adaptor/case/USB-Wireless Dongle etc it's going up to 70 when you add all those, then if you need wireless keyboard/remote it's another 20. so it's nowhere close to €30ish.

Yea, whatever. You win.

Yea, whatever. You win.

I wasn't looking for win, I'm actually looking to buy one of these XBMC boxes and didn't see anything for 30ish. that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I wasn't looking for win, I'm actually looking to buy one of these XBMC boxes and didn't see anything for 30ish. that's all.

The only thing you really need is the unit itself. It will work perfectly without a case...I used an old sd card I had in the house, an old phone charger (micro usb) and a HDMI lead from the e2 store....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-Pi-Model-512MB-RAM/dp/B008PT4GGC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391764114&sr=8-1&keywords=raspberry+pi
    e34 + shipping to parcel motel free for the first time or about e3

Complete starter kit for about e50 + delivery
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-Pi-100035-Starter-Kit/dp/B00ALW7WWQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391764114&sr=8-2&keywords=raspberry+pi

neacy69 wrote: »
    The only thing you really need is the unit itself. It will work perfectly without a case...I used an old sd card I had in the house, an old phone charger (micro usb) and a HDMI lead from the e2 store....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-Pi-Model-512MB-RAM/dp/B008PT4GGC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391764114&sr=8-1&keywords=raspberry+pi
    e34 + shipping to parcel motel free for the first time or about e3

Complete starter kit for about e50 + delivery
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-Pi-100035-Starter-Kit/dp/B00ALW7WWQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391764114&sr=8-2&keywords=raspberry+pi

I'm not looking for an argument but to make a decent a kit with USB/Wireless dongle and class 10 Sd card/case it'll cost nearly 70 euro's,

I know it works perfectly but I don't wanna leave my kit naked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Woodgate wrote: »
    Hi,
    Any advice appeciated.
    Thanks,
    Woody

What does this device look like?

What about its specifications?

I cannot seem to find much info about it except price and claims about what it can do.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

I got one of these when they were on bargain alerts for €99 +€15 p&p.

Put openelect on it and got a remote for €5 on ebay, it's the business TBH.

Look for something like that or an old laotop that would be low power.

What does this device look like?

What about its specifications?

I cannot seem to find much info about it except price and claims about what it can do.

:(

Here's another similar to it...

http://www.adverts.ie/media-players/dreambox-xbmc-and-vs968-free-mouse-android-box/4415030?notification=56985c5d73c70a08470773fa1d9199aa-1391786270#comment_23749519

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭BubbleBalls

tunner wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good xbmc player that will play Netflix etc for my bedroom. I've an Apple TV 2 downstairs with everything on it but want something (max €60) for the bedroom

I was using a neotv 200 but had stopped playing Netflix now

Anyone got any recommendations?
    Was going to get the Apple TV 3 as advertised here in bargains but I'd have no xbmc

Hi tunner,

So you start this thread stating that Netflix has stopped working. Then, the following day you post the neotv for sale - and in your add you state that Netflix, among other things, works. Again, in PMs, you stated Netflix worked before I met you to buy it. You have stopped replying to my PMs regarding a refund as Netflix Ireland or US does not work on this - the primary reason I bought it, which you were well aware of.

€45 may not be a huge amount of money to some but I am sickened that anyone can post an item for sale knowing that it will not work.

I have never before had a bad experience on this site. Anybody any advice on what I should do here? tunner's phone was BEING REPAIRED so I don't even have a number.

Get on to adverts.ie in the 'talk to..' forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

€45 may not be a huge amount of money to some but I am sickened that anyone can post an item for sale knowing that it will not work.

I have to admit I found it funny initially when you posted what had happened. That said, good for you posting and I too am sickened by tunner's actions. tunner, you are scum.

Getting back to the thread, albeit over €60, is there any reason nobody has recommended the Roku 3 running Plex? Plex as I understand it is a version of XMBC.

Advertisement