Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard drive returns

• 25-01-2014 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

So if you want to securely wipe a hard disk that has the click of death before returning it for warranty, what's the easiest way of doing that? (assume the bios can't see it, because it can't).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Khannie wrote: »
    So if you want to securely wipe a hard disk that has the click of death before returning it for warranty, what's the easiest way of doing that? (assume the bios can't see it, because it can't).

We use DBAN in work and its great. Download it and burn it as a bootable CD. It writes the disc with zeros, you can set how many pass you want it to do as well.

http://www.dban.org/download

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

DBAN is your only man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

If BIOS can't see it, then DBAN is probably out the window.

We use a desgausser in work but I reckon that would probably void your warranty. I'm not even sure if it does anything with the platters, possibly just renders the controller unuseable but a replacement may get it back working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Kinet1c wrote: »
    If BIOS can't see it, then DBAN is probably out the window.

Definitely can't use DBAN, unfortunately.
    We use a desgausser in work but I reckon that would probably void your warranty. I'm not even sure if it does anything with the platters, possibly just renders the controller unuseable but a replacement may get it back working.

A degausser you say? I don't think I could get my hands on one.
    bedlam wrote: »
    Cut your losses and just buy a replacement.

I think I may end up just doing this unfortunately. It has quite a few personal things on it (including one of the copies of all our photos).

Funny fact: I bought the hdd in April 2011 and it cost 68 euro. Today an equivalent sized drive on the same site costs 72.

Cut your losses and just buy a replacement.

I have thought about this some more and I've learned a valuable lesson here. If I'd encrypted everything, this privacy concern wouldn't be a problem. Future course of action here is clear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭theedude27

Hold onto it until some technology appears which allows you to extract all the data from the drive. Another neat addition to your hoarding collection if you have one:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭stupid head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Khannie wrote: »
    I have thought about this some more and I've learned a valuable lesson here. If I'd encrypted everything, this privacy concern wouldn't be a problem. Future course of action here is clear.

What about the hit by bus scenerio, is any one else able to access the encrypted data? Would it wise to have one copy unencrypted and everything else encrypted.

What I was thinking of was a key file on a USB key (with off site encrypted decryption key backup). That would cover the hit by a bus scenario.

I meant if anyone else need to access the data. Non techies wouldn't be able to do it. Family photos, finances etc.

For some people anyway.

• Advertisement

You may as well not have any encrypted versions in that case :)

Depends drive could be secured somewhere like a fireproof box/safe in attic.

Everything that could be stolen or lost, or fail, use encryption.
    Detailed instructions left with your will on how to decrypt data and the password shared in advance with multiple family member via SSSS would take care of that.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Be careful using a degausser if you plan on having kids.

You should have it miles away from anyone and a remote control for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Keyzer wrote: »
    Be careful using a degausser if you plan on having kids.

You should have it miles away from anyone and a remote control for it.
    Is there any evidence that degaussers are in any way dangerous?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

28064212 wrote: »
    Is there any evidence that degaussers are in any way dangerous?

Conflicting evidence I'll agree but I like to take care of my swimmers and err on the side of caution...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Keyzer wrote: »
    Conflicting evidence I'll agree but I like to take care of my swimmers and err on the side of caution...
    "Conflicting"? Is there any evidence that degaussers are in any way dangerous?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

28064212 wrote: »
    "Conflicting"? Is there any evidence that degaussers are in any way dangerous?

Unless you have a pacemaker or other medical implants (CGMs etc)- there are no issues whatsoever in using a degausser. Our wall chart has a warning up solely because we do have people on-site with medical implants on occasion. We also have reminders up, not to leave it on unnecessarily.

I'm not aware that there are any studies on working in magnetic fields- it would be classified as 'non-ionising radiation', and from a health perspective exempt from restrictions. I can't see any issue with it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Unless you have a pacemaker or other medical implants (CGMs etc)- there are no issues whatsoever in using a degausser.
    watch out for magnetic stripe on credit cards and things

Advertisement