Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic on UK plates - vrt?

Options
  • 25-01-2014 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering, if you bought a classic, say, in this case a '73 MG BGT, for instance and it was still on UK plates, what are the VRT rates? Would you be stung with some outrageous bill depending on the amount of time it was in this country but never given Irish plates??

:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

€200

Yes there would be a penalty if they find out it was in the country before ti was 30 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Speaking of Revenue/Customs - heard the DJ on the radio saying she'd had a visit from the customs because she'd bought a car from the UK but hadn't got around to putting the plates on it ( you go thru all the hoops etc, but 'can't find the time' to get 2 plates made up and fitted - :o ) Shows they're out there anyway, whatever about them checking DD ads tho' :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

If you buy the car, get a receipt/invoice from the seller, and together with your driving licence, recent household bill, and proof of your PPSI No. & take it to the N.C.T. centre ( by appointment only ) and they will clear it for you. It will cost you E200 V.R.T. End of Story. I have done this many times. Good Luck with your purchase, I hope you enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

I omitted to include the U.K. Reg. Doc. ( V5 ) and make sure you know where the chassis No. is on the Body, as they will want to check it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Capri wrote: »
    Speaking of Revenue/Customs - heard the DJ on the radio saying she'd had a visit from the customs because she'd bought a car from the UK but hadn't got around to putting the plates on it ( you go thru all the hoops etc, but 'can't find the time' to get 2 plates made up and fitted - :o ) Shows they're out there anyway, whatever about them checking DD ads tho' :mad:
    Yeah, I heard that one too. She thought she'd been ratted out!
    I've no problem with people being slow to get plates - it's the one's who don't pay and drive around for a year before sticking the car up on DD that annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

corktina wrote: »
    €200

Yes there would be a penalty if they find out it was in the country before ti was 30 years old

Your only responsible for her from the date you purchased vthe vehicle,my old landy was in the country 3 years before I bought it and only cost 200..
    I had a hand written note from the guy I bought it from with date price etc..
    This was last year nearly to the day

Advertisement