Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice venue for family gathering meal Leixlip

Options
  • 25-01-2014 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭

Hi People.

Having a 80th bday party in the family and would like a really nice venue in the Maynooth, Leixlip, Celbridge area. Either a small private room or table in nice restaurant. Just family so about 20 guests in total. Any suggestions on where to go or where to avoid gratefully received please. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Becketts in Leixlip - great place.
    If you want to push the boat out then Carton House is the obvious place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

We used the gatehouse in Maynooth for a birthday last year and it was really nice, friendly staff and very accommodating.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Tks guys,

Peppa, have been to Becketts for a communion and had lovely meal but felt the place was overpacked on that particular day anyway,
    Carton very impressive from the outside. Is the restaurant nice do you know ?

Paddy, Where is the gatehouse please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Tks guys,

Peppa, have been to Becketts for a communion and had lovely meal but felt the place was overpacked on that particular day anyway,

Paddy, Where is the gatehouse please?

The Gatehouse is in Maynooth. It's right beside the entrance to the college.

Oh yes, I know where it is now thanks. Had forgotten that little area of Maynooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Stunning - be prepared to pay, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

I have eaten in Carton on 3 occasions and it disappointed every time. The setting is beautiful but the food is poor.

I adore Becketts though.

Went to investigate Carton today. Drive up to it sets up massive expectations I think. Looked up kitchen bar, not suitable for what we want. Then had bite to eat in Courtyard Golf restaurant. Fine but not wow or anything. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Went to investigate Carton today. Drive up to it sets up massive expectations I think. Looked up kitchen bar, not suitable for what we want. Then had bite to eat in Courtyard Golf restaurant. Fine but not wow or anything. Am I missing something?

There is a "fine dining" restuant as well - never managed to eat in it despite staying in the hotel for a few nights. My wife ate there shortly after it opened - good but not great, particularly when you consider the price and the faff over getting a table in my experience.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

I really like the Leixlip House hotel, lovely feel to the place and I've never had a bad meal there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Is that the one on the hill or behind the fire station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

The restaurant in the Village at Lyons maybe, just outside Celbridge. The setting is gorgeous. Only eaten in the café so far but the food has always been great (although the service has been rubbish a couple of times)

http://www.villageatlyons.com/restaurant.html

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

+1 for Leixlip House Hotel.. I eat here a lot.. nice quiet country house style hotel and the food is always beautiful imho.

Actually had forgotten about Leixlip House Hotel. That might suit the bill.

I'ld say the Village at Lyons would cost a fortune to eat there cause it just looks class.

I'm ever so grateful for your suggestions and reviews. Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

beauf wrote: »
    Is that the one on the hill or behind the fire station

Just up the hill, definitely worth checking it out if you haven't been before

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Seems the Leixlip House Hotel function room is €15 a head, and is located up the hill.

I've only ever drank there (it sold some whiskey with the word "Turkey" in it cheaply which my mate drank at the time), but found it to be a very cosy bar. And unless they did it up recently, it did a good job of looking old.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,847 ✭✭✭✭L1011

the_syco wrote: »
    Seems the Leixlip House Hotel function room is €15 a head, and is located up the hill.

I've only ever drank there (it sold some whiskey with the word "Turkey" in it cheaply which my mate drank at the time), but found it to be a very cosy bar. And unless they did it up recently, it did a good job of looking old.

Wild Turkey 81/101.

Had a relatively dissapointing meal in Becketts recently - menu didn't match website, portion sizes all over the place with some mains much larger than others, complete screwup on the bill at the end - don't know if it was a once-off or a trend starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 johnnybegood

Actually had forgotten about Leixlip House Hotel. That might suit the bill.

I'ld say the Village at Lyons would cost a fortune to eat there cause it just looks class.

I'm ever so grateful for your suggestions and reviews. Thanks a million.

Village at lyons is pricy in the restaurant. The cafe is very good value. I think the cafe closes early daily.
    I would check out carton house. Two super restaurants in the clubhouse. Good prices. Restaurant in the hotel in pricy I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Maybe check the Mucky Duck in Celbridge? Was awesome food before it was sold off, but haven't been there since.

Michelangelos, also in Celbridge, do awesome food for a good price. Always packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I had a christening in Carton last year, golf club or restaurant was the same price. The difference between Carton and the others wasn't all that much honestly. We had the restaurant to ourselves, kids running mental all over the place. Adults meals were very good, kids meals were poor, but they eat the stuff anyway. I'd recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Upstairs in the Avenue cafe. Great food and a nice setting for those kind of numbers.

http://avenuecafe.ie/

Advertisement