Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Feel stupid after car accident

Options
  • 25-01-2014 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

So I was taking my final driving lesson around the town today (in my parents car), The instructor was giving me a 'mock' test, something I'd done a few times before and this one was going quite well. We approached a stop sign at a junction on a one way street (traffic was only coming from the right) despite driving on this road a hundred times before, I completely ignored the stop sign and continued on. Seeing a car coming to my right I broke harshly and made considerable contact with another car. Long story short the gards had to come, moderate damage to my car (bumper destroyed) and slight damage to the other car although I won't know the full extent till insurance company comes back with the details. I feel like such an idiot for doing this, I had always thought I was a safe driver but this has hit my confidence hard, I was so shook I could barely drive home. The instructor looked at my is pure disbelief and I don't blame him. It's not like this was a 50/50 accident it was 100% my fault and it could of been much worse. Has anyone ever had an accident early in there driving careers and any tips on how to get over this. Was looking forward to booking my test but now I feel nervous even getting behind the wheel. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jack Bauer Ctu

I wouldn't feel so bad about it. **** happens. On my last lesson with my instructor I brought my parents car to do the final lesson in, this was lesson number 12 of a mandatory 12. It's the car I had been driving away. We go just around the corner, into a busy part of town and I bumped into a parked trailer. Dented the wing of the car. About 200 euro damage. Owner of the trailer just walked off he didn't give a crap because it was a piece of ****. Instructor forced me to continue with the lesson or as he said, If ya don't then you'll never get behind a wheel again. Wasn't funny at the time but I can laugh about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Don't feel bad. Look on it as an opportunity to learn from, that will make you a better driver overall

Look back on today. Think hard about what happened. Did you not see the sign because your windows were fogged up, or were pedestrians blocking your view, or was the sun in your eyes? You can fix all that.

Or did you kind of see it, but you were distracted because you were thinking about something else, or you were chatting to your instructor? You can fix that too.

Or did you see the sign, but you just ignored it due to a 'I'll stop if it suits me to stop' attitude creeping in? All learner driver can be prone to a bit of complacency or over confidence setting in, when they have been driving for a while without any incidents. We have all been there.

So examine what happened. Get some feedback from your instructor too. Figure out what you did wrong. Try to eradicate those mistakes from your driving. Then try to forget about it & move on. It may seem easier said than done, but what else can you do really? Fretting over it too much will turn you into a nervous, overly hesitant driver & that is no good to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

You poor thing, you made a mistake,it could have been serious but luckily wasn't. You accept it was your fault and will probably never forget it...your parents will more than likely bring it up at family occasions for years to come anyway. As long as you remember that you can't lose concentration when driving it shouldn't put you off driving. You clearly have the makings of a responsible drive by acknowledging your mistake and not making excuses. If it's any help my mother overturned her car on the way to her driving test, called the centre to say she would be late (this was in America in 1960), sorted a tow truck, borrowed a car and passed her test two hours later. You will be fine, take it easy and don't postpone the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

A friend I know has had his full driving licence for the last 7 years, he was driving on route to blanchardstown and indicated to turn left from the main road into an estate, but he realised it was the wrong turn and continued on as another driver was pulling out onto the main road and he hit her front driver-side.

What I'm trying to say to you is... it can happen anyone, and this guy I know is a good driver, he just made a bad error of judgement while talking to his passenger at the time.

Learn hard from the experience you had, and you will be fine and more aware as ever from it. Just think, no-one was injured, all is safe. Move on now to your future in learning regarding driving and you will be fine. Don't dwell on it again as it is in the past and all involved are un-injured.

You'll be fine. We all have to learn from the mistakes that we make. Move on and focus on passing your test with confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 spellwoman

Like yourself, when I was 17 driving on provisional license thought I was really good,careful driver.. Was driving my parents car at the time & had an accident under similar circumstances - I genuinely thought I would never get over it and never drive again. Thought it was the end of the world! Anyway, my parents forced me to get into the car the next day & drive it for hours-best thing I ever did! If I didn't do this I don't think I would've driven again.
    I know exactly how you feel & it's awful, but best advice is to keep driving & learn from it - tell yourself you will NEVER let something like this happen to you again. I know its hard to believe it now, but you will look back at that experience and,in a way you'll think it was the best thing that could have happened you as it will make you a better driver in the long run.. I got my fill license first time 6 months after this and TG never had so much as a tip since(13 years).
    Good luck in your test :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Sorry, know exactly how you feel. Had my fair share of mishaps when was younger, (much younger). But its only damaged cars, which can be repaired, most important no one was hurt. And you have learned a very valuable lesson, stop signs MUST be obeyed.

If you had not crashed at the end of the "mock test" your instructor would have, more than likely, told you that you were fine but in the test that you had better watch out for stop signs, otherwise you'd get a grade 3 fault and fail the test. It would not have the same impact. (sorry)

Climbing up on my hobby horse. That is the reason I never did full pre-tests or mock tests. Just ten minutes or so of observing in silence or until the learner was about to make a mistake, which ever came first.

You should claim off his insurance. You were driving under his tuition, he should have stopped you. He allowed you to break the law and put lives at risk. In the UK he could be charged with aiding and abetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Shadow Walker

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry, know exactly how you feel. Had my fair share of mishaps when was younger, (much younger). But its only damaged cars, which can be repaired, most important no one was hurt. And you have learned a very valuable lesson, stop signs MUST be obeyed.

If you had not crashed at the end of the "mock test" your instructor would have, more than likely, told you that you were fine but in the test that you had better watch out for stop signs, otherwise you'd get a grade 3 fault and fail the test. It would not have the same impact. (sorry)

Climbing up on my hobby horse. That is the reason I never did full pre-tests or mock tests. Just ten minutes or so of observing in silence or until the learner was about to make a mistake, which ever came first.

You should claim off his insurance. You were driving under his tuition, he should have stopped you. He allowed you to break the law and put lives at risk. In the UK he could be charged with aiding and abetting.

Aiding and abetting a traffic accident ? Didn't realise there was such an offence

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mrsound

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone, I know mistakes can happen although I was very angry and disappointed with myself for making such an obvious one, the self loathing is beginning to subside! Gladly No-one was hurt, my college fund however will likely take a beating due to one moment of madness. I will try and not let it deter me from driving in the future. Lesson learnt!

Aiding and abetting a traffic accident ? Didn't realise there was such an offence
    Hi,

No, but he allowed the driver under his direct supervision to do something which caused the accident, namely break the STOP sign.

I had first written that the driver would be charged with breaking the sign, but deleted that bit as reckoned they had enough to worry about without adding prospect of penalty points

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

No, but he allowed the driver under his direct supervision to do something which caused the accident, namely break the STOP sign.

I had first written that the driver would be charged with breaking the sign, but deleted that bit as reckoned they had enough to worry about without adding prospect of penalty points

Ah here ! The instructor "allowed" the OP to make a mistake? That is a bit much. All students make mistakes when they are learning to drive. We have all been there. It doesn't mean that our instructors "allowed" us to make our mistakes, or are personally responsible for them. They just happen.

If it was a case of the OP asking if it was ok not to stop at the sign (or some other act of obvious illegality or stupidity) and their instructor told them it was ok, then yeah, the OP would have a case against him and the driving school. But I seriously doubt if that was the case here. Poop as they say, happens.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Ah here ! The instructor "allowed" the OP to make a mistake? That is a bit much. All students make mistakes when they are learning to drive. We have all been there. It doesn't mean that our instructors "allowed" us to make our mistakes, or are personally responsible for them. They just happen.

If it was a case of the OP asking if it was ok not to stop at the sign (or some other act of obvious illegality or stupidity) and their instructor told them it was ok, then yeah, the OP would have a case against him and the driving school. But I seriously doubt if that was the case here. Poop as they say, happens.

Hi,

Sorry, I completely totally disagree. Of course learners make mistakes. Go into 2nd gear instead of 4th, attempt to use the brake instead of the clutch, bring the car to an very abrupt halt, myriad of screaming tyres behind and merely say "Oh I put my foot on the wrong thingy". Not do proper observation checks, (which the instructor will have covered) etc etc. However to allow them to break the law - no way.

When a driver breaks the "law" whilst driving it means that they may have put life and limb in danger. (Or perhaps at the other end of the scale merely inconvenienced other road users).

Whichever, IF there was a cop around and IF motoring offences were actually enforced in ireland they would be charged with dangerous/careless driving and perhaps earn a few penalty points. When a learner driver in a "mock test" break a law they have not just committed something that merely merits a mark on a piece of paper but may have possibly put lives at risk.

These pretest and markings put people in a totally wrong mindset. Extreme case, had a middle aged woman once, she had done nothing but "pretests" failed the real test every time (obviously). On our first lesson, in her car, I had to slam on her handbrake to stop her driving out in fron of a speeding van. Her response, "would that have been grade three ?". Told her she would not have been even marked. "Oh why not ?". Replied that more than likely he would be dead. (Van would have hit his side). She was only thinking in grade fault levels, not in real life consequences. That kind of mindset is fostered by these mock tests/ pretests. .

Doing a "pretest" does not give a driving instructor some type of legal dispensation so that they can sit back and allow their pupil to break the law.

An instructor may not have time to intervene, but if possible they must. However, a good instructor anticipates. takes action before any problem develops. Usually a verbal comment/warning is sufficient. Otherwise the dual controls are used. I must admit, sometimes took pleasure in slamming on the brakes at a stop sign.

Of course this puts pressure on the pupil, instructor gets tagged "He never stops giving out" . Much nicer to have a nice calm silent drive around, doing exactly your own thing, then been told at the end of the "lesson" you'll be fine great driver but watch out for the ould stop signs.

Bottom line, an instructor is responsible for his pupils actions. They are driving under his direction and instruction. Even if he is play-acting as a wannabe examiner they are still under his supervision.

To the OP, your college funds are safe. This is why people pay insurance. In fact you may add to it. You should be compensated for the trauma you suffered.:)

The only possible problem, if the driving instructors insurance company decides he was professionally incompetent and he does not have professional indemnity insurance. But following a case about ten years ago where the driving instructor was sued, successfully, by the parent of the pupil. His insurnce company refused to pay on the grounds that he was professionally incompentent, so he was held personally liable. After that case professional indemnity is automatically included in an instructors policy. At least it was on mine. For a few years it wa an "add on" then incorporated into the policy.

Again to the OP. Contact a solicitor come back and tell us what he says. The insurance may refuse, saying he did not have time to intervene but as I stated above giving a "mock test" does not absolve him from blame.

You are paying him to learn from his training and knowledge so that you do not have to learn from your own experiences and expense

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mrsound

''Again to the OP. Contact a solicitor come back and tell us what he says. The insurance may refuse, saying he did not have time to intervene but as I stated above giving a "mock test" does not absolve him from blame.''

You are paying him to learn from his training and knowledge so that you do not have to learn from your own experiences and expense[/QUOTE]

I won't be taking any legal routes as it was my mistake, the instructor told me to brake once he realised I was going to fast at the the stop sign and in doing so helped make sure the accident wasn't worse. Plus it's not a driving school just one local guy who is a qualfied, Driving instructor.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Feeling stupid will pass. I crashed my car, within 6 months of passing my test, very low speed, slid on ice denting the wing and smashing the headlight.

Dented the confidence a bit as well for awhile, thinking I wasn't the driver I thought that I was, but moved on, car was repaired a week later and I was back behind the wheel, still doubted my self, but everyone said accidents can happen. Since then have moved on, bigger and nicer car, people will quite happily sit on with me, compliment my driving, will put in the odd dig, but most have forgotten about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭vwhead

dont feel bad about it **** happens as everyone says it can happen to the best of people and drivers no matter the expeirence. i have my lisence since september and have 9 lessons done so far and i was doing grand on them all im a confident driver im not nervous or afraid but that got me into trouble on my 8th lesson i was coming up to a roundabout on one of the towns bypasses so i was fairly tippin i was starting to slow down as i approached and a car was coming from the right around the same speed and just slightly further away than i was so i thought i could make it threw infront of him so i kept it lit but then had second thoughts just before i went passed the point of no return and stuck it to the floor ( didnt lock the wheels) but i stopped just about a half a metre from his path and then i noticed that if i had kept going he would of been straight into the side of me or it would have been very close if we didnt hit eachother. i was kicking myself as i was doing great in all my lessons before that as i have alot of experience with cars so i know how to drive just not on the road and i made a very simple mistake that could of got very nasty but luckily i seen it just in time. the mistake i made was my instructer was talking to me when i was approaching and when i was looking at the car coming out i didnt think about how much of a squese i was putting on him and then it clicked as i could tel what was gunna happen if i continued i was gutted and pissed off with myself that i let that happen but i done a few more laps of the bypass afterthat and its safe to say i learned my lesson that day to take a better look at things and think more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Nobody injured, cars can be replaced, take it on board, get back out drivining as soon as you can.

Advertisement