Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5s on billpay or simfree?

• 25-01-2014 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I have an iPhone 4 and its 2 and a half years old. Recently it is running really slow and the apps keep crashing. I am looking at getting the iphone 5s but dont know whether to get the sim free or billpay. At the min I am on the o2 deal where i get free calls to all networks for 20 a month and never spend more than that on credit but then the phone is 650. Other options is to go bill pay 55 a month for 24 months and get the phone for 60, I done the maths and it works out 250 cheaper to pay upfront but would I be crazy to pay that much on a phone just like that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I have an iPhone 4 and its 2 and a half years old. Recently it is running really slow and the apps keep crashing. I am looking at getting the iphone 5s but dont know whether to get the sim free or billpay. At the min I am on the o2 deal where i get free calls to all networks for 20 a month and never spend more than that on credit but then the phone is 650. Other options is to go bill pay 55 a month for 24 months and get the phone for 60, I done the maths and it works out 250 cheaper to pay upfront but would I be crazy to pay that much on a phone just like that?

60? How did you manage to get that figure? I have the Iphone5s after upgrading before Xmas and I had to pay 280euros for it because I was on prepay and I moved over to bill pay. Like you said, Im also on 55euros a month for 24 months and its a fantastic phone but there was nothing cheaper than 280euros even going down that road, and I was a very long term customer for years before that. I think you may have your figures a bit wrong..

Moved from After Hours, please read Apple Devices charted before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭comfortseeker

60? I think you may have your figures a bit wrong..

I don't think so... check the link. I went on to the website and chose the 55 option then selected the phone and it said 60?
    http://www.o2online.ie/shop/view/product/ql_catalog/catdevice/IP5S16GBSILV?tariffType=PAY_MONTHLY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

If you can afford the lump sum, do. Lower monthly bills are always good. To me, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Just work out which is cheaper over the 2 years of the contract. (Initial cost + monthly spend) or (cheaper initial cost + monthly contract). Usually if you get a good deal the contract works out to be decent value. People tend to forget that if they buy the phone outright they still have to pay at least €20-30 a month to use the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

This might sound redundant, but have you tried wiping the phone? Doing a full factory reset?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Just work out which is cheaper over the 2 years of the contract. (Initial cost + monthly spend) or (cheaper initial cost + monthly contract). Usually if you get a good deal the contract works out to be decent value. People tend to forget that if they buy the phone outright they still have to pay at least €20-30 a month to use the phone.

I have a contract free iPhone 5c that I bought from Apple store in New York and I only spend €10 per month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Buying a 4G capable phone with only 2GB of data is madness especially if your going to sign into 2 years. I'd go find some more data friendly price plans if your going to go bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

If you're happy to pay €55 a month then maybe switch to 3. The 5c is free, and you get unlimited data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I don't think so... check the link. I went on to the website and chose the 55 option then selected the phone and it said 60?
    http://www.o2online.ie/shop/view/product/ql_catalog/catdevice/IP5S16GBSILV?tariffType=PAY_MONTHLY

On open 24month @€;55 PM the phone works out at €179.99 I can't see the phone for €60 here's the link

http://www.o2online.ie/shop/view/content/pricePlan;jsessionid=DEC88DE14C77091E0825F3B3B3184FB9.AppNode2?device=IP5S16GBSILV&tariffType=PAY_MONTHLY&journeyType=FTC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

It's €59.99 at €70 per month. Girlfriend got the €179 contract the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Work out how you actually use the phone.

Phone company's offer you bells and whistle these days. But what's the point in paying more if you don't use it.

Buy it from Apple get this Tesco deal for €10 a month. http://www.tescomobile.ie/priceplans/pay-monthly-plans.aspx

Tesco are doing some great deals. Just tell People your with 02 ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

60? How did you manage to get that figure? I have the Iphone5s after upgrading before Xmas and I had to pay 280euros for it because I was on prepay and I moved over to bill pay. Like you said, Im also on 55euros a month for 24 months and its a fantastic phone but there was nothing cheaper than 280euros even going down that road, and I was a very long term customer for years before that. I think you may have your figures a bit wrong..

You got an awful deal.

Advertisement