Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy neutered what do we feed her?

• 25-01-2014 9:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭

Hey

Our puppy was neutered yesterday, just wondering what should we be feeding her.
    We got the can of dog food from the vet, she has that gone and appears to be really hungry, she usually wouldn't be big into food.
    Also, she had to get a tooth removed so has a stitch in her gum, so will need to feed her something soft as I would think her usual dry food might be too hard for her gum if it's tender.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

What sort of tinned food?! Tinned food is only sh1t, wouldn't dream of giving it to my dogs. Put enough nuts to cover tomorrow in a big bowl, pour boiling water over the lot, enough to cover them, leave over night, then tomorrow you will have a bowl of soft nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Boiled or grilled plain chicken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yeah I would soak the nuts over night so they are soft right through and easy to eat then. No hard nuts to chew on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

You could try her with a little boiled chicken, it'll be softer and easy on her stomach as well as on her gum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

Thanks for all the replies

I wouldn't and don't ever give my dogs tinned food, the tinned food I gave her was from the vet, something light and easy on the tummy as advised by the vet.

I'm wondering would the burns food we usually give her be ok, should I stick to the chicken and bit of rice

thanks again for the replies

• Advertisement

SingItOut wrote: »
    You could try her with a little boiled chicken, it'll be softer and easy on her stomach as well as on her gum

Think I'll try this, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

wesf wrote: »
    What sort of tinned food?! Tinned food is only sh1t, wouldn't dream of giving it to my dogs. Put enough nuts to cover tomorrow in a big bowl, pour boiling water over the lot, enough to cover them, leave over night, then tomorrow you will have a bowl of soft nuts.

I wouldn't use boiling water on kibble, I don't know whether there's any truth in it but a rep for one of the companies told me a few years back that it can alter the nutritional composition by slightly cooking the food. In saying that it is a processed food so I don't know what exactly it may alter. If you have to soak it use tepid or regular cold water.

And not every tinned food is muck, there's a few premium brands available (not in your average supermarket) but I'm assuming it's the ID food that the OP got from the vet.

Burns is great! I used to have my jack Russell on it but switched to different food with higher fat content because she was quite underweight at the time.

You can give her chicken and rice for a day or two and then try a little kibble soaked in warm water. As you said boiling water takes out a lot of the nutrional value whereas warm water (don't drain it, it will soak into the food) will retain most of its nutritional value.

Thanks for the replies everyone

Now time to stick on the apron and get boiling!!!!!

Enjoy! I boil rice for my two most evenings, then the other days are sardines . It takes longer to prepare their food than my own :D

• Advertisement

SingItOut wrote: »
    Enjoy! I boil rice for my two most evenings, then the other days are sardines . It takes longer to prepare their food than my own :D

Better fed than ourselves!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

What sort of tinned food?! Tinned food is only sh1t, wouldn't dream of giving it to my dogs.

Steady on!
    I can guarantee you that the tinned food I feed my dogs is significantly better for them than the dry food you have your dog on.
    It's not your average supermarket food, it is damn fine stuff.
    OP, if you're tempted to feed a good quality tinned food, there are a few brands available on zooplus.ie, including Naturediet, Rocco, Rinti and Lukullus. There are other tinned/pre-packed soft foods that may be even better again, but they are a tad pricey :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

tinned food is not all rubbish look at naturediet and rinti from zooplus

http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0119/naturediet-adult

http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0901/rinti-tins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

DBB wrote: »
    Steady on!
    I can guarantee you that the tinned food I feed my dogs is significantly better for them than the dry food you have your dog on.
    It's not your average supermarket food, it is damn fine stuff.
    OP, if you're tempted to feed a good quality tinned food, there are a few brands available on zooplus.ie, including Naturediet, Rocco, Rinti and Lukullus. There are other tinned/pre-packed soft foods that may be even better again, but they are a tad pricey :)

24 x 800g Rocco is €10 cheaper on zooplus atm ;)

OP I often give potatoes to my two if I need something light/bland then mix with chicken/turkey/fish

tk123 wrote: »
    24 x 800g Rocco is €10 cheaper on zooplus atm ;)

I've already availed :p
    OP I often give potatoes to my two if I need something light/bland then mix with chicken/turkey/fish

I think spuds are far superior to rice when it comes to feeding sick dogs, recovering dogs, in fact, feeding fresh food full stop. Rice is pretty benign, but it can cause a reaction in a fair chunk of dogs, whereas spuds are not only very benign, they can help detoxify and purify a sick system. Fish or meat with cooked potato mixed through is a great food imo.
    That's if your dog will eat them. Mine adore potatoes (I think they'd eat them on their own), but some dogs don't go for them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

We availed of the Rocco offer too. :D

Josie loves it and it's not as pongy as the Naturediet. I'm just soooooooooooooooooo lazy about washing out the tins!

boomerang wrote: »
    We availed of the Rocco offer too. :D

Josie loves it and it's not as pongy as the Naturediet. I'm just soooooooooooooooooo lazy about washing out the tins!

I just leave them steeping - we use one 800g tin a day for the pup to bulk out her meaty meals! I still have loads of pink/sensitive ND left - OMG the smell of it!! I wasn't going to get anymore after the blown box of puppy food and they way they handled it but the dogs love it also we can choose amazon vouchers as rewards in work(we actually get thanked for doing our job) so I buy the food out of them! I'm sticking to the most normal smelling one now though - turkey and rabbit! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Just wondering does anyone know where the meat is sourced for Rocco dog food?

I couldn't find the information online. Is it mentioned on the tins?

It's not, no. I think Rocco is zooplus own brand?
    My guess is, because it's made in Germany, that the meat is of European origin, which would mean welfare standards would be relatively reasonable.
    However, maybe drop them an email and ask? It'd be interesting to know!

DBB, I have just sent www.matina-gmbh.de an email. The company seems to be connected with Zooplus.

To emphasize I am sure Rocco dog food is perfectly fine. I am just wondering where the meat comes from.

The reason I am curious is that I used to feed my dog Rocco air-dried treats:
    www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/rocco_dog_treats/chings/151325

There was a thread on boards last year about well known American pet food companies who sold air-dried/jerky type treats. These jerky type treats caused a number of dogs to die. The common factor is that the treats were being made in China with meat locally sourced in China. They still haven't found the exact cause for the deaths.

I contacted matina-gmbh about the treats. I assumed also that the Rocco treats were made in Europe with local or at least European meat. Matina-gmbh told me the product was made in China with local meat. I stopped feeding them.

Again these Rocco treats are probably OK. Zooplus after all is a good company. It is just me being over cautious!

What I don't like is that these companies, under European laws, can label dog food whatever way they want. For example Fish4dogs sea jerky treats are no longer UK ingredients. I had to get an email from Fish4dogs which said that the fish skins come from a number of different countries but they label the packet as 'Made in UK' as it is packaged there.

I give my dog sometimes Burns wet food. I know it doesn't have the highest meat content but he likes it. I also use Terra Canis dog biscuits and they told me their meat comes from Germany - I assume it is the same for their wet food.

My dog got sick last year and I had to change his diet completely. This has made me a bit more aware of the food he gets. As I said Rocco is probably fine as Zooplus is a very good company but I hate these lack of labels!

• Advertisement

That's very interesting odckdo, I have to say, if I thought the tinned stuff was originating in China or anywhere in Asia, I would stop feeding it on ethical grounds alone.
    I'll be interested to know what they come back to you with!

odckdo wrote: »

The reason I am curious is that I used to feed my dog Rocco air-dried treats:
    www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/rocco_dog_treats/chings/151325

Ah no I buy Rocco Chings! :(

tk123, this is the main part of the email I got back last year from service@matina-gmbh.de about the Rocco chings dog treats:

"We would like to answer your question and tell you where the Rocco Chings come from.

The Rocco Chings are made of 100% finest meat, although the products are produced in China. For this reason there are representatives locally who guarantee the quality and the production."

My dog loved these aswell. I searched around and the only treats on Zooplus that I felt comfortable with were: Barking Heads, Terra Canis and Burns Kelties. There is so much choice on Zooplus but they are not labelled where they come from.

My dog loved chewing the Rocco treats so to make up for those we switched to Healthy Hounds fish skins. They are made in the UK and he loves chewing them. Good for his teeth and has some omega in them too. Good value as a 1kg box lasts a long time.

Yeah I get the fish treats as well - 2kgs arrived in the mailroom in work on fri and the guys were slagging me about the smell of them lol :p I use the Rocco a lot for training - because they're long lasting and have really helped with my dog's separation anxiety. I'll stick with them until I find a similar..or invest a dehydrator :p

I got back a reply from Rocco earlier today:

"Rocco dog food is manufactured in Germany. 95% of the raw materials are sourced from Germany. The rest of the raw materials come from the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Belgium, New Zealand and Austria."

So it looks like a good food at a good price!

Phew! I've been worrying about this! That's great to know... It is indeed a great price, the tripe one goes down particularly well here!
    Thanks a mill for that info, that's great news!

Thank god - I've about 30 cans of it lol! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

boiled water in the dry food

Yeah I get the fish treats as well - 2kgs arrived in the mailroom in work on fri and the guys were slagging me about the smell of them lol :p I use the Rocco a lot for training - because they're long lasting and have really helped with my dog's separation anxiety. I'll stick with them until I find a similar..or invest a dehydrator :p

Well guess what I bought :phttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Dehydrator-Adjustable-Temperature/dp/B00FF97SJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402773883&sr=8-1&keywords=dehydrator

I have it loaded up with sweet potato and chicken atm. It'll have paid for itself on it's 2nd outing. 99c sweet potato = a good 5 bags of soopa!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Well guess what I bought :phttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Dehydrator-Adjustable-Temperature/dp/B00FF97SJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402773883&sr=8-1&keywords=dehydrator

I have it loaded up with sweet potato and chicken atm. It'll have paid for itself on it's 2nd outing. 99c sweet potato = a good 5 bags of soopa!

Oh great! lucky you! Lucky dogs!
    Can you provide a full and complete report on progress; quality of the produce, dogs reactions, was the sweet potato v.hard/crisp or that half chewy state (like dried mangos?) that would make it 'tougher' to eat and last longer. What was the consistency of the chicken?? Deboned before dehydrating I assume? Skin on or not? Peeled sweet potato or not? How long did the process take? :o Sorry for all the questions, Ive been mad to try one of these too!!

Advertisement