Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl in Cork City Centre?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

From Cork News piece on Cornmarket opening.

"The Lidl supermarket will have a different layout from its 'typical' stores, with manned express tills for small basket shoppers."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Gummybear2013

Hey everyone i emailed lidl and asked when they opening up in town said 27th feb at 8am yey. I emailed aldi also seeing if there was a aldi coming city centre near the elysian building and waiting on reply from them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Hey everyone i emailed lidl and asked when they opening up in town said 27th feb at 8am yey. I emailed aldi also seeing if there was a aldi coming city centre near the elysian building and waiting on reply from them :)

According to City Council website Aldi does not yet have planning permission, or more correctly O'Flynn construction does not have planning.

http://planning.corkcity.ie/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=1435896

"development comprising the amalgamation of retail units Retail 1A and Retail 2 (as permitted under planning register no. 04/28877 and modified by planning register no. 09/33951) to provide a single unit with a net retail area of 900m2 and the alteration and change of use of the amalgamated unit to provide a discount food store including the sale of alcohol for consumption off the premises; alterations to the elevations including new/revised entrance doors; new signage; and trolley bays including those within the onsite car parking areas, on a site of 0.1727ha"

Received Date: 30/01/2014 Decision Due Date: 26/03/2014

infosys wrote: »
    According to City Council website Aldi does not yet have planning permission, or more correctly O'Flynn construction does not have planning.

http://planning.corkcity.ie/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=1435896

"development comprising the amalgamation of retail units Retail 1A and Retail 2 (as permitted under planning register no. 04/28877 and modified by planning register no. 09/33951) to provide a single unit with a net retail area of 900m2 and the alteration and change of use of the amalgamated unit to provide a discount food store including the sale of alcohol for consumption off the premises; alterations to the elevations including new/revised entrance doors; new signage; and trolley bays including those within the onsite car parking areas, on a site of 0.1727ha"

Received Date: 30/01/2014 Decision Due Date: 26/03/2014

Oh really i must heard wrong someone on this chat said that there will be a aldi coming town as well near elysian building. Lol no harm asking suppose least be lidl great store to :)

Oh really i must heard wrong someone on this chat said that there will be a aldi coming town as well near elysian building. Lol no harm asking suppose least be lidl great store to :)

Yes there is an Aldi coming, to the Elysian they are in the middle of the planning process.

• Advertisement

Yes there is an Aldi coming, to the Elysian they are in the middle of the planning process.

Oh sorry i get you now took up wrong there. Will prob be a good while for them to come town so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Irish Examiner:

"While the €150m Elysian development has had retail planning from day one, the specifics of the Aldi store will need city planning approval, it is believed."

evilivor wrote: »
    Irish Examiner:

"While the €150m Elysian development has had retail planning from day one, the specifics of the Aldi store will need city planning approval, it is believed."

As is confirmed by the planning link above.

evilivor wrote: »
    Irish Examiner:

Decision is due March, all going well would see it open a few months after decision, its in reality just fitting out.

I got a reply back from someone works aldi about the store coming to town its not this year seems below is the email i got this morning.

Dear Ms Reynolds,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us via Facebook regarding our new stores that are opening in Co. Cork. Whilst I’m afraid I don’t know if these locations listed below are in relation to where you’ve heard a store will be opening, I can confirm these are the new stores that will be opening in Co. Cork in 2014.

Glasslinn Road Bandon - Opening 19/06/2014

Cinema Street Douglas - Opening 18/092014

Hazelwood Glamire - Opening 18/09/2014

Sleaveen East Macroom - 03/04/2014

I hope this is of some help to you and possible answers your query.

Yours Sincerely,

Elinor Ireland

Aldi Customer Service

• Advertisement

I got a reply back from someone works aldi about the store coming to town its not this year seems below is the email i got this morning.

Dear Ms Reynolds,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us via Facebook regarding our new stores that are opening in Co. Cork. Whilst I’m afraid I don’t know if these locations listed below are in relation to where you’ve heard a store will be opening, I can confirm these are the new stores that will be opening in Co. Cork in 2014.

Glasslinn Road Bandon - Opening 19/06/2014

Cinema Street Douglas - Opening 18/092014

Hazelwood Glamire - Opening 18/09/2014

Sleaveen East Macroom - 03/04/2014

I hope this is of some help to you and possible answers your query.

Yours Sincerely,

Elinor Ireland

Aldi Customer Service

How can they say when a store is opening, when they don't have planning permission for?

While it seems a deal is done I assume same is subject to planning, so they can not announce an opening date till (assuming they do get it) they are granted planning. Once they get that they can then set a date which could very well be next year.

How can they say when a store is opening, when they don't have planning permission for?

While it seems a deal is done I assume same is subject to planning, so they can not announce an opening date till (assuming they do get it) they are granted planning. Once they get that they can then set a date which could very well be next year.

That true i thought i just ask anyway as i was confused all different people saying stuff lol no harm asking so might be next year mabey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

So Aldi is opening in Hazelwood...interesting...there's a lidl opening by riverstown cross I'm sure - good God, they're taking over the world!! :-P

leahyl wrote: »
    So Aldi is opening in Hazelwood...interesting...there's a lidl opening by riverstown cross I'm sure - good God, they're taking over the world!! :-P

Lol i know really are taking over world haha but i love it great stores to. Where is riverstown cross in that in near city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Anyone visit lidl in cork city by TK Max I believe ?isnt it opening this week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Janedoe10 wrote: »
    Anyone visit lidl in cork city by TK Max I believe ?isnt it opening this week
    I was in there Thursday, the have express checkouts. Such an obvious thing for a lidl to have.
    Was bigger than I thought it would be as well, never occurred to me it was going downstairs :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

The new Lidl is great. The layout is similar to stores I've seen in Germany and Austria where you enter on one side of a horseshoe and pay/exit on the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Was in there on opening day.

Bigger than I thought it would be. Nice layout but it was so busy I didn't buy anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Worth a visit so to check it out . Any deals there considering it's a new shop n'all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

So is it differant to our other lidl stores

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

vince wrote: »

Not really. It is a little smaller than typical and it had express check outs.
    The space for specials is smaller than usual but they still have some of the fun stuff they often have. It has an instore bakery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭KatyBob

What are the opening hours again?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its absolutely jammers in there at 6pm but I couldn't care less not having to go to that horrible tesco in paul street is great. Lidl is a great addition to the city centre and will clean up. Only a matter of time before aldi also open hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

KatyBob wrote: »
    What are the opening hours again?

8-21.00 Monday to Saturday
    9.30-19.30 Sunday

(IIRC)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Poped in today at lunch time nice store and busy went into paul st tesco after and it was unusualy quite for the time of day

Poped in today at lunch time nice store and busy went into paul st tesco after and it was unusualy quite for the time of day

Its a really nice store alright ha i thought the same its very quiet than usual lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Yes,its got some well known brands
    Kerry Gold,Kimberly biscuits and a few other well knowns..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,578 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Yes,its got some well known brands
    Kerry Gold,Kimberly biscuits and a few other well knowns..

Those brands are often in my local Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

about 1000% better than that horid tesco in paul street,, it has a good selection of fruit and veg,, there meat is not the best though.... i go to Aldi in Blackpool for that,,, there meat and poultry is realy top notch,,,,, Lidl's German beers though are pretty tasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Those brands are often in my local Lidl.
    Yeah?,never noticed them before.

Advertisement