Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl in Cork City Centre?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,578 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Yeah?,never noticed them before.

Yes, seen them in a few Lidl's kerrygold butter is on offer this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 User100

Lidl is a normal store... Nothing special about it. Some customers behave in a strange way like they never saw a supermarket before...
    Staff is not really friendly, they are not relaxed. Prices are the same as at other stores and special offers are everywhere else as well. Therefore, nothing to be excited about...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

User100 wrote: »
    Therefore, nothing to be excited about...

If you live in the city centre and don't have a car, it is a big deal to have a new supermarket option. I am thrilled to have a Lidl in the city centre - not because it's any different to any other Lidl but because it is in the City Centre.

I have found the staff very friendly any time I've been in there. But maybe that's because I was friendly towards them.

The opening weekend there was 25% off all fruit and veg - exclusive to that store and last weekend there was 25% off meat and poultry.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

I popped in today for a look. I like the entrance/exit layout; if for whatever reason you have to exit without purchasing you don't have to go through/past the tills as in other branches.

The location suits me as I'm in the city centre most days anyway and only pick up a few items, so it saves me a trip to the Churchfield/Ballyvolane Lidl.

I've always found the staff to be friendly in Lidl and today was no exception.

Lidl is a normal store... Nothing special about it. Some customers behave in a strange way like they never saw a supermarket before...
    Staff is not really friendly, they are not relaxed. Prices are the same as at other stores and special offers are everywhere else as well. Therefore, nothing to be excited about...

Is that you Mr Tesco?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Prices must be the same as other Lidl stores as they're waaaay cheaper than Tesco for example. Granted the selection isn't great and the shelf life of the likes of dairy products is quite short but there's a fair few bargains to be had. I found the staff to be very helpful. The assistant opened a till for me last weekend when I popped in there even though there wasn't even a queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I disagree its a fantastic addition to the city centre. Plenty of people who live in the centre don't have cars so don't have the opportunity to go to Lidl in the suburbs. You wont find many like that Tesco in Paul Street either.

IF you ever worked in Aldi/Lidl you would know why they aren't relaxed, they are constantly on the move and are some of the hardest working staff you will see. They are paid better than Tesco/Dunnes for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

quick question, how do you get to it? Popping into town during the week

quick question, how do you get to it? Popping into town during the week

Well do you know where TkMaxx is?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

thankfully i don't have to venture into that god awful tesco anymore thanks to this new Lidl. I think its a grand place to pop in for a few bits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

evilivor wrote: »
    From Cork News piece on Cornmarket opening.

"The Lidl supermarket will have a different layout from its 'typical' stores, with manned express tills for small basket shoppers."

In there today and they have doubled the number of express tills and have rejigged the layout since it opened, moving the location of the larger till etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Someone told me last weekend that Tesco in Paul Street's takings have plummeted since Lidl opened. I've certainly seen Tesco's own brand products get a 30-40% price reduction in the last two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Someone told me last weekend that Tesco in Paul Street's takings have plummeted since Lidl opened.

well it probably has, it's widely known that Tesco's market share in Ireland and the UK has taken a hit due to the likes of Aldi, Lidl and other stores in the UK like Sainsbury's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Someone told me last weekend that Tesco in Paul Street's takings have plummeted since Lidl opened. I've certainly seen Tesco's own brand products get a 30-40% price reduction in the last two weeks.

Long may it continue, tesco really need to work on there own brand products there is a huge gap in the quality and price of comparable goods in other stores.
    Very often you get something in lidl or aldi and it tastes better than the branded alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Lidl's deluxe range is also often exactly the same product sold in Waitrose and really high-end places in the UK, I can't remember how but someone was able to trace back the barcodes to the same supplier.

Also, I got @lidl_Ireland to follow me on twitter which is gas. Lidl's amazing!

Staff where nice too, wished me a nice day time I was in.

Not as good as one of the red-heads that works in the Clashduv one though, be still my beating heart. One day I will find out her name :/

Advertisement