Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog

• 25-01-2014 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hello
    Lads and ladies.
    I'm wondering if tea is good for a dog.
    I always give my dog the last few drops of tea after I had a cuppa.
    But my wife says it can affect a dogs health and well being.
    What do u think

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I'm not sure about the tea itself someone else will have to help you out with that one but unless you take your tea black with no sugar then I would avoid it. Dogs are lactose intolerant so milk doesn't agree with them and sugar is not good either. It really does depend on the size of the dog though as well. Obviously the above would affect a smaller dog more than a larger one given the quantities. But it's just something I would avoid personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I can't see a problem with tea, but if the tea is sugared then yes. Keep him/her away from relaxing into drinking tea that has sugar in it. No sugar big-time, not good.

Also, never give the dog coffee, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Overmanlyman

Ok but I give my dog milk and she seems to be fine what ya think bout dat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Dogs are lactose intolerant so you shouldn't give your dog milk as it's bad for them. If you really need to give milk then use goats milk but you really don't need to feed a dog milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

I just had a quick google and caffeine is poisonous to dogs. Apparently a few laps of tea wouldn't be enough to do any damage but a used tea bag would be dangerous. Here's a link about caffeine toxicity

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/2011/09/is-caffeine-poisonous-to-dogs/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Overmanlyman

Oh right
    Ya I think I'll just stick to giving my dog apple juice instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Oh right

Full of sugar, just give the dog water, he'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Oh right

Water is what you should be giving your dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

My vet said it was fine to give the dogs milk and they are mad for cheese. They frickin love cheese.
    And I know vets get it wrong but my guy genuinely loves animals so wouldn't think he'd be talking through his arse.
    I'm not saying others should give it but ill be giving it to mine still occasionally as a treat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks,
    I am closing this thread as I have issued a warning to overlymanly for trolling.
    Thanks,
    DBB

@ Mince pie, I don't doubt for a moment that your vet means no harm, but take it from me as a lactose-intolerant mammal, cow's milk is not okay to give dogs. Hard cheese is fine, because the fermentation process removes almost all of the lactose. Ditto yogurt.
    But milk is certainly not okay. It makes me feel crap, though you'd never know unless you asked me :o

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement