Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop keeps typing key by itself

Options
  • 25-01-2014 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭

My laptop has a problem it keeps repeatedly typing "
    " by itself.

It always happens:

1) As soon as I turn on my laptop -
    appears in the password area
    2) After every time I press spacebar - appears
    3) After I press ctrl - appears
    4) After I press the letter b - appears
    5) Sometimes just randomly starts writing

I have already excluded a few reasons as to what it could be. I originally thought that my key may have been stuck and it was a keyboard issue, however this is not the case, because if I change the keyboard layout to German the symbol ß should come up and not - but it is the dash that always comes up regardless of what layout I use therefore it is not a keyboard but an internal issue.

My setup is: Acer k56c, Intel i5, Windows 8.1, 2 years old.

Have googled around and cannot find any similar problems with same laptops.

So what do you think I should do?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

call ghostbusters:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

It is definitely a stuck key. Try lifting the "-" off the keyboard. Alternatively, try bashing the keyboard down across multiple keys while being careful not to do damage.

Smashing the keyboard gently often fixes a stuck key for me, although on a laptop it is safer to remove the keyboard first.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭sob1467

zarquon wrote: »
    It is definitely a stuck key. Try lifting the "-" off the keyboard. Alternatively, try bashing the keyboard down across multiple keys while being careful not to do damage.

Smashing the keyboard gently often fixes a stuck key for me, although on a laptop it is safer to remove the keyboard first.

I have just tried that and it did not work.

I am almost 100% certain that it is not a stuck key because when I turn the keyboard layout to German instead of "-" it should instead be "ß" but it is "-" that is written therefore a stuck key is not the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

Turn it off, turn it upside-down, shake it, turn it back the right way up, wipe the keypad with a cloth (almost completely dry), make sure the keypad is completely dry, turn it on again - should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

sob1467 wrote: »
    I have just tried that and it did not work.

I am almost 100% certain that it is not a stuck key because when I turn the keyboard layout to German instead of "-" it should instead be "ß" but it is "-" that is written therefore a stuck key is not the problem.

If you hold down alt at the same time what key appears? If it's not a stuck key then it must be a faulty switch caused potentially by a liquid spill or something falling into the keyboard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

To help eliminate if it's a windows issue try to boot off a 'live' linux distro and see it it occurs.

ITDept wrote: »
    Turn it off, turn it upside-down, shake it, turn it back the right way up, wipe the keypad with a cloth (almost completely dry), make sure the keypad is completely dry, turn it on again - should be ok.

I done done that but still have the same problem.
    zarquon wrote: »
    If you hold down alt at the same time what key appears? If it's not a stuck key then it must be a faulty switch caused potentially by a liquid spill or something falling into the keyboard

If I press any key eg alt when it is appearing on the screen it stops so if you hold alt it does not appear.

I think it must be a faulty switch because it started at the same time as I spilled water on my laptop. How would you go about trying to fix that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

sob1467 wrote: »

I think it must be a faulty switch because it started at the same time as I spilled water on my laptop. How would you go about trying to fix that?

hmmm....that information would have been useful in your first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

new keyboard to be honest, should get one cheap on ebay

degsie wrote: »
    hmmm....that information would have been useful in your first post.

The reason that i think that it was a faulty switch was because of Zarquon's suggestion which I only learned during the course of the thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement