Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paddling

Options
  • 25-01-2014 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Anyone got any tips on, how i can get stronger at paddling?always seem to burn out after an hour an half or there abouts. The obvious answer would be spend more time in the water, but just don't have the time once a week would be all i get, an the dark evenings dont help. Im a member of a gym an have good upper body strength an would be reasonable fit, but cant find the stamina to keep paddle when im out there. Anything i could do in the gym to help me out ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Bub34 wrote: »
    Anyone got any tips on, how i can get stronger at paddling?always seem to burn out after an hour an half or there abouts. The obvious answer would be spend more time in the water, but just don't have the time once a week would be all i get, an the dark evenings dont help. Im a member of a gym an have good upper body strength an would be reasonable fit, but cant find the stamina to keep paddle when im out there. Anything i could do in the gym to help me out ?

you know the real answer already which is good :D
    if you can't spend time in the water then next best thing is definitely swimming, i swim a lot and my paddle fitness feeds heavily off this.
    i don't think you need huge upper body strength to paddle well some conditioning good though. core strength important for balance when you go get up, i used to do squats on a balance board years ago it seemed to help. are you new to surfing? being smart about how to get into the line up makes things a lot easier, apologies if i'm off track.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Bub34

Could do with tips for been smarter bout getting in the line if you could?? I was swimming a lot my local pool closes for two month, another two weeks an its open again . Ave my balance board down in the gym an use it quite regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 katowjo

Advice is wait on a lull between sets, use a rip and perfect your duck dive...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If you can't get to the pool then a rowing machine is a good second. Drop the resistance and go for a bit longer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Bub34 wrote: »
    Could do with tips for been smarter bout getting in the line if you could?? I was swimming a lot my local pool closes for two month, another two weeks an its open again . Ave my balance board down in the gym an use it quite regularly.

best advice i could give is to watch what the good surfers are doing, the regulars who are out full time. they know the easiest lines out, where the rips are and where not to go. beach breaks can be tough to get out in but rocky reefs etc are predictable and can be much easier to paddle round, my local reef can get big but i always paddle from the same spot round it and into line up. a direct line out just wouldn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭SeanF

Head-up swimming is very good (i.e. front crawl with your head out of the water, facing forward).

Some good links videos in this YouTube channel.

Especially this one, where he talks about the role of the elbow in the paddle.

I've started doing these routines with kettlebells recently, which I hope is helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

If you are beggining to flag after 90 mins but have been fine up to that, it would also be worth looking into stamina training such as long distance running or some such to get the body used to longer periods of activity. Also, at 90 mins, you are likely to be dipping into energy reserves, so might be worth looking at what you are eating before heading out. Foods that give long period energy release are obviously better than the 'mars n coke before a surf' approach. Also make sure you are well hydrated, it does make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Bub34

Thanks for youtube links, swimming with the head sounds good to .Been doing the long distance runnin for the last 3 year, i wud of consider myself fit til i started surfin my main prob is i don't get the time in the water. Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Paddling along a beach helps but you need to work on both endurance and speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

What i used to do (which is prob insane) was just lie flat on my tummy on my kitchen floor with a tin of beans in each hand and just make a paddling motion from my knee to full arm extension. Worked ok for strenght and stamina but of course good technique and duck dives are 10x more effective than grunt

• Advertisement
Advertisement