Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weetabix vs Porridge

Options
  • 25-01-2014 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

What are people's thoughts on which is better? If you like neither what alternatives would you recommend for a healthy breakfast? Thx

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Porridge, Weetabix would be a lot more processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Either. They're both filling and provide slow-release energy.

I like a boiled egg and a slice of wholemeal toast with tea in the morning. That does me, but to be honest I find porridge the most filling.
    I had a bowl today and I wasn't hungry until dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Heard on the radio awhile back that Weetabix is like brilo pad to your stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ingredients of Weetabix:
    Wholegrain Wheat (95%), Malted Barley Extract, Sugar, Salt, Niacin, Iron, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid.

Ingredients of Porridge:
    Oats

That should really tell you all you need to know. Porridge is a slower release energy source, with fewer carbs (as sugars) than Porridge (1.3g V 4.4g), despite having a greater proportion of overall carbs. It's also significantly lower in salt. Weetabix has both sugar and salt added.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Heard on the radio awhile back that Weetabix is like brilo pad to your stomach.
    Sounds like nonsense, sure 5 mins in milk and its total mush.

The other story you hear is "stick a coin in coke overnight and see what it does to it, now imagine what its doing to your stomach". -you mean what it does to my stomach which has hydrochloric acid in it? stick a coin in some stomach acid overnight and it'll come out even cleaner.

Weetabix is a hell of a lot better than many of the other cereals which are specifially marketed as being healthy. I find it odd weetabix is not marketed more in that way. It has very little added sugar compared to the others. The breakfast cereal aisles now have more junk food than the confectionery aisles, esp. now with all these "breakfast bars".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

yep..bought cereal last night and did notice that our cereal aisles are getting very Americanised with the candied cereals and bars. I remember years ago in USA seeing chocolate cookie cereal...and yes we have that....crazy.

BTW weetabix with cold milk or porridge hot..Ill take either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Porridge with cinnamon sprinkled on top, yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Porridge with mashed banana is just amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

I would definitely be in the porridge is far healthier than weetabix camp, but each to their own. Most important thing is that you find a breakfast that is as healthy as possible, but that you enjoy, so that breakfast is a happy positive thing, not a chore! That way the healthy habits will last.

Advertisement