Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home made baby wipes

Options
  • 26-01-2014 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

Has anyone tried to make their own baby wipes? If so how do you find them? They seem to be very popular in the USA. They are meant to be great for newborns! I made a batch tonight. The recipe is mix 500ml of cooled boiled water, 1 tablespoon baby oil, 1 tablespoon Johnson's baby wash in a jug, pour over half a roll of "plenty" kitchen roll. I bought a hard plastic pampers wiped container to keep them in and cut each sheet in half to fit in box. I used full roll but upped the water to about 700ml. They look great but do you think they would be gentle enough?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Do you mean baby lotion? We find the Johnsons products pretty harsh and they bring 2 of the kids out in rashes.
    I just use the Boots sensitive ones or the green or brown huggies ones when they are babies,the Boots ones we usually get for about 75c a packet and the Huggies for 1 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

I'd imagine kitchen roll wouldn't be very soft!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

No the yellow Johnson's baby wash. I tried one on my face and it was lovely! I used whole roll and added 700ml water but think they are very wet so would add 500ml next time! They are soooo soft would you believe. The secret is supposedly in the brand of kitchen roll. The only one suitable is the white plenty one (it used to be called bounty). Some people make reuseable ones and then put them in washing machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

My OH was sent out for a cotton wool roll the other day and came home with these They're great quality and adding the above recipe (or just water, which is what I use) to them would make really good wipes IMO. They are a little pricey tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I used 2 tupperware clip boxes, one with cotton wool balls and one with water, change water daily.

I started using them in the hospital and just never really stopped. It was all runny poo up until they were about 8 months anyway so easy to clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I used 2 tupperware clip boxes, one with cotton wool balls and one with water, change water daily.

I started using them in the hospital and just never really stopped. It was all runny poo up until they were about 8 months anyway so easy to clean.

I have that too but am using it for belly button! I have been using water wipes for his bum. Just made these to try as I thought they would be better than pampers, Johnson's and huggies etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I use Simple wipes, I have always used baby wipes myself for my own skin, and believe me I have tried every single brand, and the Simple ones are a million times "wetter" and more efficient than any other brand.

I suffer from psoriasis myself and have super-sensitive skin, so it was something I was conscious of with the baby. But the Simple wipes are working fine so far, we're using nothing else, no Sudocrem or anything.

Our PHN warned us that Johnsons products are quite harsh on the skin, and to stick to Aqueous Cream and Silcocks Base etc if we really must use anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Cloth wipes are the best of all. All I use is water and a few drops of essential oil for a nice scent and they're far better for mucky bums than any disposable wipes. Better for the environment and the pocket too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

lazygal I'm half considering switching to using cloth wipes instead of disposable ones. I'm just wondering how many you use in a day and what do you with them when you clean a poo nappy? Do you steep them before washing? I wash at 40oc so mightn't be hot enough for really dirty wipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I use cheeky wipes. I use cloth nappies too. I wash the lot at 60 degrees with an extra rinse and use ecosprout detergent. Occasionally I wash them at 90 if I want to really clean them. Poo just washes out. I've no idea how many I use but I've 50 on the go as I've two in nappies. I've a separate set for faces and hands which are way better than disposable wipes too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

im in the middle of making cloth wipes as we speak (type!). i got a clip tupperware container in tkmaxx and 2 packets of multipurpose cloth wipes. ive cut the cloth into squares. for the solution ive made a pint of chamomile and then ill add 2teaspoons of lavender oil and a tablespoon of light coconut oil.
    ill let you know the outcome!!

here's some other ideas:
    http://ecocrazymom.com/homemade-cloth-wipe-solutions-recipes/ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I just cut up a few of the branded promotional baby towels I got at the RDS babyfair when I was pregnant and use those as wipes. I use a spray bottle to spray water on the wipe when I need it. (I wash them with my nappies which I usually do at 40˚c with an EcoEgg instead of detergent.) I find that they work much better than regular wipes as they clean more than wipe.

I also find that the less chemicals I use on his skin the less likely he is to have any sort of rash. Between the cloth nappies and wipes I never have to use any sort of nappy cream, though my son has quite sensitive skin as if for some reason I have to use a normal disposable nappy on him, he gets a nappy rash that looks like raw burns.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Spray bottle is a great idea! If the bottle was small enough the water would be warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

ok so 2teaspoons of lavander was too much....back to the drawing board. :pac:

Advertisement