Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry Playbook

Options
  • 26-01-2014 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hey my sister has a blackberry playbook and because of there very limited stock of app she gets me to put on android games and its a pain, so i was just wondering would you be able to format the PB's drive and install android on it ?

Sorry to people that like Blackberry and all but its a really crap OS !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

Bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭liamtech

As far as i am Aware, it is impossible to alter the Playbook OS - Unfortunately RIM (the manufacturer) went to ENORMOUS lengths to ensure it was impossible to install a different OS on the device - The encrypted the bootloader and no one has managed to crack it. Technically the device would be capable of taking android, as it has a decent spec, but alas it will never be done - i searched EXTENSIVELY on this matter and found a few people managed to run an android launcher as an app, but in all honesty the functionality is incredibly limited - i tried it and eventually removed the app due to poor performance.

RIM had intended to upgrade the Playbook to Blackberry 10 OS which has support for android apps, and is a much better OS (not as good as Android but still) - They actually promised publicly to do so which is one reason i bought one - but RIM went back on there word only a few weeks from the supposed launch date - As such the Playbook is pretty much a dead platform - The reason they made this decision is supposedly due to a lack of RAM, but they knew well the spec of the device when they announced it would be upgraded. Very dishonest.

BB10 supposedly requires 2GB ram which is insane when u consider that KitKat (Android 4.4) wil run on 512mb... I dont expect RIM will last long with this type of mismanagement -

I would never buy another Blackberry device due to their incompetence and dishonesty. i expect im not alone

Sorry, i know its not what u wanted to hear

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

liamtech wrote: »
    As far as i am Aware, it is impossible to alter the Playbook OS - Unfortunately RIM (the manufacturer) went to ENORMOUS lengths to ensure it was impossible to install a different OS on the device - The encrypted the bootloader and no one has managed to crack it. Technically the device would be capable of taking android, as it has a decent spec, but alas it will never be done - i searched EXTENSIVELY on this matter and found a few people managed to run an android launcher as an app, but in all honesty the functionality is incredibly limited - i tried it and eventually removed the app due to poor performance.

RIM had intended to upgrade the Playbook to Blackberry 10 OS which has support for android apps, and is a much better OS (not as good as Android but still) - They actually promised publicly to do so which is one reason i bought one - but RIM went back on there word only a few weeks from the supposed launch date - As such the Playbook is pretty much a dead platform - The reason they made this decision is supposedly due to a lack of RAM, but they knew well the spec of the device when they announced it would be upgraded. Very dishonest.

BB10 supposedly requires 2GB ram which is insane when u consider that KitKat (Android 4.4) wil run on 512mb... I dont expect RIM will last long with this type of mismanagement -

I would never buy another Blackberry device due to their incompetence and dishonesty. i expect im not alone

Sorry, i know its not what u wanted to hear

Yeah it's a joke how poor blackberry is. So there is absalutly no way of running android on the BB not even if you were to completely wipe everything on it and install and different bootloader?? I don't understand how that wouldn't work?? But like you said if it could be done it would be done so there's always something. :p

There have been attempts but there has never been progress - Crackberry and XDA both cite the bootloader as essentially impenetrable - Believe it or not it was possible to run Android Market at one stage - it didnt fully function but it was possible to install many apps from it! - THEN RIM UPDATE THE OS - and removed the possibility of doing this any further

RIM strikes me as a company that behaves childishly and is badly mismanaged - They spend millions on the Playbook - then when it didnt sell as much as they had hoped (it originally cost 500+ so i expect that was the reason) - they reduced the cost, sold off the stock and scrapped the product. they now state publicly that the TABLET MARKET WONT LAST! (More likely RIM wont last)

OS2.1 which is on the PB is a disgrace with very little in the way of development - and BB10 apps (Sparce but at least still being developed) will not run on OS2.

Its insane, they really are disgraceful. They literally lied - repeating there statements for as long as possible that it would be upgraded.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/blackberry-playbook-tablet-will-get-blackberry-10-update/

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/rim-confirms-bb10-is-coming-to-blackberry-playbook-1071018

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/blackberry-playbook-will-definitely-be-upgraded-to-bb10-1128459

THEN!

http://crackberry.com/BlackBerry-CEO-on-BB10-for-PlayBook-toughest-decisions-I-had-to-make

Disgrace - i believe there was a petition to get them to unlock the Bootloader but it came to nothing - RIM/BB have no intention of allowing it- the last few updates to OS2 were to plug possible 'security' issues - thats it -

Dead Tablet - i let my daughter use mine to watch videos and listen to music - its a shame its a lovely piece of kit - but now useless as a tablet

liamtech wrote: »
    There have been attempts but there has never been progress - Crackberry and XDA both cite the bootloader as essentially impenetrable - Believe it or not it was possible to run Android Market at one stage - it didnt fully function but it was possible to install many apps from it! - THEN RIM UPDATE THE OS - and removed the possibility of doing this any further

RIM strikes me as a company that behaves childishly and is badly mismanaged - They spend millions on the Playbook - then when it didnt sell as much as they had hoped (it originally cost 500+ so i expect that was the reason) - they reduced the cost, sold off the stock and scrapped the product. they now state publicly that the TABLET MARKET WONT LAST! (More likely RIM wont last)

OS2.1 which is on the PB is a disgrace with very little in the way of development - and BB10 apps (Sparce but at least still being developed) will not run on OS2.

Its insane, they really are disgraceful. They literally lied - repeating there statements for as long as possible that it would be upgraded.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/blackberry-playbook-tablet-will-get-blackberry-10-update/

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/rim-confirms-bb10-is-coming-to-blackberry-playbook-1071018

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/blackberry-playbook-will-definitely-be-upgraded-to-bb10-1128459

THEN!

http://crackberry.com/BlackBerry-CEO-on-BB10-for-PlayBook-toughest-decisions-I-had-to-make

Disgrace - i believe there was a petition to get them to unlock the Bootloader but it came to nothing - RIM/BB have no intention of allowing it- the last few updates to OS2 were to plug possible 'security' issues - thats it -

Dead Tablet - i let my daughter use mine to watch videos and listen to music - its a shame its a lovely piece of kit - but now useless as a tablet

Yeah thats a disgrace alright. You'd think to make it some bit more popular they would have opened the bootloader. It keeps my sister happy but she's not to into the hole apps and tech like but since she got an android phone she's been why can't I get this on my tablet and all, and I like to mess about with stuff but I haven't found nothing on getting android on the PB but you can get .APK files and convert them to .Bin and then put them on the tablet but it's a very minimal of apps you can use and it annoys me aswell that it's just so limited. Atleast it was on sale when we got it - only cost 160 at the time we got it down from 320 I think and I was like the specs are pretty good like but I completly forgot to look at the Os and see what it was like. And what makes it sickening time we got it the nexus 7 would have been newly out and thats a great tablet and 8-16 gb versions would have been similar price to the PB.

Nah it's a total fail, I'm probley being stupid now but wouldn't formative the drive remove its bootloader??

• Advertisement

As far as im aware you cant alter or remove the bootloader (Unless RIM allowed you to do so which of course they wont)

This site: http://apps.goodereader.com/

It has a lot of Apps which i installed and (some) work perfectly - others are a bit buggy - but i would say if she is into android its only a matter of time before she will get fed up with it! You cant even install the above apps directly - u have to 'sideload' them.

It really is pathetic to be honest - i would give anything to install even Ice Cream Sandwich or even gingerbread on this thing - but there is probably no chance at all - These guys ( http://unlockplaybook.wordpress.com/2013/07/31/android-rom-development-2/ ) have been trying for the better part of a year and although they state that progress has been made there site hasnt been updated in months - in fact they dont even respond to messages at all.

I could be wrong and i hope i am, but id say it will not be achieved - If my daughter tires of it i will sell it - you get 70-90euro for one on Ebay so - then il buy a Galaxy Tab or a Nexus!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

Advertisement