Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

target crowns

Options
  • 26-01-2014 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a Tikka T3 Tactical and its already very accurate.

Would anyone know what type of factory crown is on the .223 1:8 twist?

Also would recrowning a barrel with a target crown give any further improvements in accuracy? Is it worth doing?

I always thought of crowns in degrees and I came across the term target crown a few times recently and was wondering if it was worth doing

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

I had a target barrel with a damaged muzzle that affected the rifling, recrowning made a difference. However unless damaged cannot see a significant difference in a decent quality barrel. Target crown better protects muzzle and rifling though, if you feel them to be threatened.

I guess there is another purpose related to lowering resistence in bullet leaving the muzzle, that may make a difference in accuracy, for my purposes I am doubtful though.

http://riflestocks.tripod.com/targetcrown.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

If your rifle is shooting fine i wouldn't bother as it probably wouldn'd improve accuracy or atleast improve it enough to notice, some gunsmiths recrown a rifle if the are threading them as some factory rifles wouldn't have the crown perfectly centred or alligned with the bore but if its shooting fine i'd leave it as it is, different story if your crown is a bit damaged or corroded from use or from a moderator left on it then a recrown would make a difference

Advertisement