Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it hip dysplasia? What next?

• 26-01-2014 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking for some intermediate advice as I will be contacting the vet tomorrow.

I have a male great dane who will be 5 in October and just today he has started showing signs of hip dysplasia. He has been unwell since yesterday evening with signs of a possible flu, bit of a snotty nose, and when he inhales his nose sounds blocked, and just general lethargy. He has been eating and drinking (although not as much as he normally would) and going to the toilet fine. Because he was a bit under the weather I brought him down to my bed early this morning, around 6am, and he was there until around 7pm this evening. When I went up to the kitchen, where his bed is, he was lying in the middle of the kitchen floor and I wonder now if he fell over?

I was calling him to get up from the bed to go for a wee when he first started showing signs. He tried to get up from the bed but really sagged back on his hind legs. He then lay back down on the bed for a moment and after 3 more attempts he made it down off the bed and when he stood onto the floor he seemed weak in his back legs. Since then he has been mainly lying down on his bed (he has a kuranda dog bed). About 20 minutes ago I let him out for a wee, when he stepped outside the door he swayed on his back legs and i thought he would fall over but thankfully he didn't. He was able to wee but I am concerned about him going for a number 2, if it is a problem with his hips, would it affect his ability to go to the toilet?

Prior to this he has been the picture of health, he has been a great example of the breed, strong and muscly and never unwell, gorgeous coat, teeth and excellent stance. This has literally come on him in the last 24 hours. He has been to the vet twice in his life, once for a rash caused by fox wee/droppings and once for a sort of flu, that was 2 years ago. Nothing since.
    He normally loves his food and his walk (although I couldn't get him out for a walk today, normally all I have to do is show him his collar and he gets excited, today he wouldn't even get up). He's not as interested in playing anymore as he has gotten older but still playful like a puppy at times.

He is my best friend in the world and I am heart broken that he is unwell. He is showing no signs of pain but is it likely he is in pain? Is there a treatment for this if it is hip dysplasia? Could it be something other than hip dysplasia, am I being over cautious? As a great dane he is a big dog but not as big as some danes thankfully, he is between 10 and 11 stone so I'm assuming his size won't help matters. He is a healthy 10-11 stone though, all muscle, not much fat on his body.

At the moment he is lying on his kuranda bed, right next to a radiator which is on (I read heat is good for arthritic pain) and I am just not sure if there is anything else I can do for him in the meantime. If anyone has any suggestions on how to make him most comfortable, I'd appreciate them.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

From what you describe, and given his age, and good muscle tone, it's unlikely to be hip dysplasia, which is normally diagnosed via symptoms much earlier in life. It doesn't tend to suddenly appear like this at his point in life.
    It may be a slipped disc (I'm pretty sure Danes are prone to this), or some other spinal trauma which may have happened if he slipped, or if he over-stretched himself, or if there was a predisposal there in the first place.
    It may be arthritis, although that's unlikely to have such a sudden onset.
    You know yourself OP, there's only so much anyone here can say, but I do understand that you're reaching out for some sort of explanation before you get to the vet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

DBB wrote: »
    From what you describe, and given his age, it's unlikely to be hip dysplasia, which is normally diagnosed via symptoms much earlier in life.
    It may be a slipped disc (I'm pretty sure Danes are prone to this), or some other spinal trauma which may have happened if he slipped, or if he over-stretched himself, or if there was a predisposal there in the first place.
    It may be arthritis, although that's unlikely to have such a sudden onset.
    You know yourself OP, there's only so much anyone here can say, but I do understand that you're reaching out for some sort of explanation before you get to the vet!

Thanks DBB, it's just the first thing I automatically thought of given how common it is.
    Is a slipped disc treatable? Maybe when I found him on the kitchen floor this morning he had suffered a fall or something to cause this.
    I'm just so worried about him, great danes have such short lives but we were hoping to have at least 3 more healthy years together, I just hope whatever it is can be treated or managed and he can still enjoy life, he just looks so hopeless at the moment.

Honestly? I don't know. I'm guessing it would be treated symptomatically.. that's assuming it is a spinal problem (and remember, it might not be a slipped disc, but some other spinal issue).
    Why not give your vet a call? I know it's late, but they should have an out-of-hours number for you to call someone, at least to find out if there's anything you can do to or give him to make him feel better until the morning.

Honestly? I don't know. I'm guessing it would be treated symptomatically.. that's assuming it is a spinal problem (and remember, it might not be a slipped disc, but some other spinal issue).
    Why not give your vet a call? I know it's late, but they should have an out-of-hours number for you to call someone, at least to find out if there's anything you can do to or give him to make him feel better until the morning.

Thanks DBB. I called the vet earlier, this was before he nearly fell over outside, and he said to just keep him rested and comfortable and if it hadn't improved to get back in touch in the morning, which I will be doing.
    Thanks for the replies, I know you can't say much, I suppose I'm just looking for reassurance. He's such a good dog, gentle giant, so happy go lucky, I just hate seeing him like this :(

Oh I know, why do they always bloody well get sick at weekends, huh?
    It is seriously distressing seeing them when they're under the weather, and it's not as if you can pick him up and give him an oul cuddle:o
    I'm sure that having him beside the rad is helping, and try not to worry about the pooping, as he'll be okay until he sees the vet tomorrow.
    Will you let us know how you get on? I'm sure it'll be a restless night for you :(

• Advertisement

Oh I know, why do they always bloody well get sick at weekends, huh?
    It is seriously distressing seeing them when they're under the weather, and it's not as if you can pick him up and give him an oul cuddle:o
    I'm sure that having him beside the rad is helping, and try not to worry about the pooping, as he'll be okay until he sees the vet tomorrow.
    Will you let us know how you get on? I'm sure it'll be a restless night for you :(

I would love to bring him back down to my bed but he's just not able for it. I'm happy that he's comfortable and warm for the night and will ring the vet in the morning. Hopefully it's something easily treated.

I will. Thanks for your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Hope the poor fella gets better, have German shepherd myself always on the lookout for them symptons as there prone to it as well. 6 years so far and thankfully no sign of anything.

Just back from the vet. He's on anti-inflammatories and rest for the week. The vet examined him and said he more than likely slipped somewhere (possibly when I found him on the kitchen floor yesterday morning) but that there is no significant damage, probably just strained something. He put a muzzle on him and examined him, poking along his spine and sure the poor fella was huffing and puffing with the pain :( He said there's definitely no spinal damage, just a bit sore, like a human could be after straining themselves.
    The vet told me to do exercises with his back leg, where I hold his back paws away from his body one at a time and make sure he returns them both to standing position and doesn't let his "knuckles" rest of the floor.

So thankful it's nothing more serious and hopefully once the week is out he'll be back to himself.
    The vet weighed him when he was there and he's 12.5 stone! Couldn't believe it, didn't think he had gotten so heavy, must be the middle aged spread :pac:

Thanks for all the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

thats great news. Always a worry with the giant breeds. Hopefully the rest will help, and he will be back to normal soon.

When someone who hasnt seen my dogs for a good while come to visit, I always ask them if they think the dogs have put on weight or look heavier - when you are looking at your pet every day, you dont notice the weight creeping up.

Advertisement