Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get yeast balls in Dublin city?

Options
  • 26-01-2014 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

As the title suggests, I'm looking to buy some yeast balls. Does anyone have any idea where I can pick some up around Dublin? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Might be running down the wrong road here, but if you mean the type used for fermentation, you might try the chinese supermarkets cause I know they're used for making rice wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

• Registered Users Posts: 24 talking muffin

Thanks for the tips- I'll try the yeast company first. While I'm sure they'll have some there, if not, I'll go on to the Asian supermarkets. I'll let you know if I find any.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

tfak85 wrote: »

Only place I know in Dublin that sells live yeast alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Any Superquinn sells live fresh yeast

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

You'll get fresh yeast in any Polish/Eastern European supermarket. That's where I get mine for baking. They're in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Do not bother with the Irish Yeast company, they dont sell yeast as mad as that may sound.

Its run by an old bloke who has really old cake equipment, strange strange strange shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 talking muffin

Chong wrote: »
    Do not bother with the Irish Yeast company, they dont sell yeast as mad as that may sound.

Its run by an old bloke who has really old cake equipment, strange strange strange shop.

Seriously?? I want to pop in to the Irish Yeast company now just to be rejected with the sentence "we don't sell yeast, sorry" :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

As much as I'd like to make a joke about my personal hygiene regarding "yeast balls", Tesco Clarehall were selling brewers yeast a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Chong wrote: »

Haven't been in there in about 15 years. But they did sell fresh yeast then, but only on a Tuesday(?).

He is an odd man alright, I went in for a silver cake board for my mother. Asked what size - I said "10 inch, I think". He refused point blank to sell me the board as I was unsure as to the size I needed.
    Went off & bought a 10 inch board in Kitchen Complements instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I think I was there about 2 years ago, all ready to pick up my yeast and was greeted by said gentlemen.

I also got similar treatment speedsie, I have never been back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Speedsie wrote: »
    .........He is an odd man alright, ......

Aah no!, just getting on a bit.

I remember him there 40 odd years ago.

Do his cats still snooze curled up in the window on sunny days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

0lddog wrote: »
    Aah no!, just getting on a bit.

My mother said he was odd in the seventies too... The world needs its oddballls. Adds spice to life!

Advertisement