Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike - Shipping Options

Options
  • 26-01-2014 12:50am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone shipped any large packages from NZ to Ireland?

I'm looking to get my bike from Wellington to Dublin, and had originally planned on bringing it on the flight with me as it only cost $30 to get it here from Oz, but Etihad are quoting me at over $800...so yeah.

I'd rather not sell it, but i'm not going to pay anything like that to send it home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm looking to get my bike from Wellington to Dublin, and had originally planned on bringing it on the flight with me as it only cost $30 to get it here from Oz, but Etihad are quoting me at over $800...so yeah.

that can't be right. It's hard to get hold of the right place but it should only cost you something like $90 for the two legs, that's about what I paid. Try and get in touch with someone in Auckland rather than getting bumped to the main Aus office.
    Sports equip is seperated to a second bag, it's detailed on the website too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Turns out i'm actually flying to London with Air NZ, so i may be able to get the bike on the plane for cheaper. Will give them a call later today and see. I'm guessing i'd need to get onto British Airways (for the flight to Dublin) as well, and pay an extra charge with them too?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Kiith wrote: »
    Turns out i'm actually flying to London with Air NZ, so i may be able to get the bike on the plane for cheaper. Will give them a call later today and see. I'm guessing i'd need to get onto British Airways (for the flight to Dublin) as well, and pay an extra charge with them too?

depends, if it's all booked on the same ticket you can get away with it if your bags are booked all the way through. However if you are booking them separately you probably will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I flew with Qantas (+emirates) to NZ and there was no set fee to bring my bike over. It was part of my free checked luggage allowance and if I went over the 30kg limit it was charged normally per kilo at like 50 euro's per kilo.

Hopefully you sorted something out though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Crow92 wrote: »
    I flew with Qantas (+emirates) to NZ and there was no set fee to bring my bike over. It was part of my free checked luggage allowance and if I went over the 30kg limit it was charged normally per kilo at like 50 euro's per kilo.

Hopefully you sorted something out though.

I have a rucksack as well though (with a fair amount of stuff in it), so it needs to be as a 2nd piece of checked luggage. Going to call them tomorrow morning, and find out for sure.

Actually tempted to try and sell it, but will see what happens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement