Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate cyst

Options
  • 26-01-2014 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi I am waiting to start Icsi I got my pelvic scan and they found a large cyst on my right ovary they seem to think an endometrial cyst also known as a chocolate cyst I was just wondering has anyone ever had one and would I need my ovary removed? Any comments would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭starlight1

dh774 wrote: »
    Hi I am waiting to start Icsi I got my pelvic scan and they found a large cyst on my right ovary they seem to think an endometrial cyst also known as a chocolate cyst I was just wondering has anyone ever had one and would I need my ovary removed? Any comments would be greatly appreciated

Hi dh,
    Have you got endometriosis? A chocolate cyst (also known as an endometrioma) is usually associated with endometriosis.

I just had a laparoscopy (keyhole surgery) to remove a large chocolate cyst. I think depending on the size of it and whether it is causing you problems or not they will sometimes remove and sometimes not.

There is a risk that the ovary will need to be removed also but it all depends on exactly where your cyst is and if it has damaged the ovary. Are you scheduled for surgery/follow up?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dh774

starlight1 wrote: »
    Hi dh,
    Have you got endometriosis? A chocolate cyst (also known as an endometrioma) is usually associated with endometriosis.

I just had a laparoscopy (keyhole surgery) to remove a large chocolate cyst. I think depending on the size of it and whether it is causing you problems or not they will sometimes remove and sometimes not.

There is a risk that the ovary will need to be removed also but it all depends on exactly where your cyst is and if it has damaged the ovary. Are you scheduled for surgery/follow up?

I'm waiting for a date to go in and have the cyst removed they haven't said anything about the ovary being removed yet, I am trying to have a baby so I'm hoping I don't need it removed, did your cyst come back? I heard they more than likely come back, I never knew I had endo until I got that pelvic scan yesterday so bit of a shock for me

I'm waiting for a date to go in and have the cyst removed they haven't said anything about the ovary being removed yet, I am trying to have a baby so I'm hoping I don't need it removed, did your cyst come back? I heard they more than likely come back, I never knew I had endo until I got that pelvic scan yesterday so bit of a shock for me

oh I'm sorry to hear that dh and I completely get you on the being shocked thing. Its awful upsetting and shocking news to get.

I only got mine removed 2 weeks ago so I dont know yet about it coming back (Am praying it doesnt). surgeon did say before the op that he may take the ovary as there is a risk they can come back. I was told before surgery I would be asked to consent to cyst removal, possible ovary removal if needed and also possibly open surgery (because of size and location of cyst) but thankfully they were able to do via keyhole.

Between one thing and another I havent had proper follow up with hospital but I do know that my endo is severe and has caused a lot of damage (was expecting an endo diagnosis but not as bad as it is)-everybody is different though so please dont worry-your situation could be completely different. we are also trying to conceive so after I get my head around the diagnosis and have all the info we will probably look at what options are open to us..

do you know what size the cyst is? which hospital are you attending?

oh I'm sorry to hear that dh and I completely get you on the being shocked thing. Its awful upsetting and shocking news to get.

I only got mine removed 2 weeks ago so I dont know yet about it coming back (Am praying it doesnt). surgeon did say before the op that he may take the ovary as there is a risk they can come back. I was told before surgery I would be asked to consent to cyst removal, possible ovary removal if needed and also possibly open surgery (because of size and location of cyst) but thankfully they were able to do via keyhole.

Between one thing and another I havent had proper follow up with hospital but I do know that my endo is severe and has caused a lot of damage (was expecting an endo diagnosis but not as bad as it is)-everybody is different though so please dont worry-your situation could be completely different. we are also trying to conceive so after I get my head around the diagnosis and have all the info we will probably look at what options are open to us..

do you know what size the cyst is? which hospital are you attending?

I am attending the hari unit in the rotunda hospital for my fertility treatment so they found the cyst, it was 11cm very big I have been suffering with pain ages and never knew what it was so I'm kind of glad I know now what the problem is just hope it doesn't cause me problems for my fertility treatment

I am attending the hari unit in the rotunda hospital for my fertility treatment so they found the cyst, it was 11cm very big I have been suffering with pain ages and never knew what it was so I'm kind of glad I know now what the problem is just hope it doesn't cause me problems for my fertility treatment

I hope so too and looking at it positively at least they found it and although Im sure its very upsetting to have an interruption to treatment it's good to have an answer for what was causing the pain and they can sort it incase its something that could interfere with treatment.

Its around the same size as mine and believe me its better to have it out:)

Hopefully they will be able to schedule your surgery soon

on another note how have you found the HARI so far? when i get my head around recent diagnosis it will probably be a route we will have to take

• Advertisement

I hope so too and looking at it positively at least they found it and although Im sure its very upsetting to have an interruption to treatment it's good to have an answer for what was causing the pain and they can sort it incase its something that could interfere with treatment.

Its around the same size as mine and believe me its better to have it out:)

Hopefully they will be able to schedule your surgery soon

on another note how have you found the HARI so far? when i get my head around recent diagnosis it will probably be a route we will have to take

Yea I found them really good and helpful it's a really long process but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end, I hope you have luck with them

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

Hi dh

I have Endometriosis, I've had 2 surgeries so far to remove those cysts, I've had 5 in total, cyst free now thank god, I am too trying to conceive, been trying for 5 years now, starting injections for TSI next month. I still have both ovaries no damage done to them from the surgeries and the cysts were pretty large, the only thing I've been told is that I have a low egg reserve from the Endo, might be no harm to ask them to check that for you too after your surgery its only a simple blood test. Are you long trying?

Hi dh

I have Endometriosis, I've had 2 surgeries so far to remove those cysts, I've had 5 in total, cyst free now thank god, I am too trying to conceive, been trying for 5 years now, starting injections for TSI next month. I still have both ovaries no damage done to them from the surgeries and the cysts were pretty large, the only thing I've been told is that I have a low egg reserve from the Endo, might be no harm to ask them to check that for you too after your surgery its only a simple blood test. Are you long trying?

I have been trying bout 5 years I was bout to start my injections for Icsi when they found the cyst so have to get that removed then hopefully will get the go ahead to start, I got a blood test done awhile ago and they told my I had good egg reserve but that was before the cyst so I'm hoping it's still the same.

Are y doing ivf or Icsi?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

Looks like we're kinda in the same boat then! I'm not doing either of those just yet, starting 3-4 months of the injections that you take on day 4,6 and 8 of cycle then scan on day 10 to see if there is follicles, get another injection then to force the egg to release and at that stage they tell you when to have sex! If those don't work the consultant told me it'll be straight onto ivf, I have a low egg reserve :-( and she said she doesn't know how long they will last

Looks like we're kinda in the same boat then! I'm not doing either of those just yet, starting 3-4 months of the injections that you take on day 4,6 and 8 of cycle then scan on day 10 to see if there is follicles, get another injection then to force the egg to release and at that stage they tell you when to have sex! If those don't work the consultant told me it'll be straight onto ivf, I have a low egg reserve :-( and she said she doesn't know how long they will last

Ah well if I have learnt anything while going throught Icsi it's to just stay positive. I wish you all the best hope you get great results 😊

• Advertisement
Advertisement