Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animation Portfolio?

Options
  • 26-01-2014 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Just a few questions about a portfolio for the BA in animation. I've read the guidelines but I was wondering if everything should be based around animation and "best artworks" should be based around cartoons and comics or should I be including things like still lives, landscapes, portraits or realist works?

Also should storyboards be fully worked drawings or more sketchy?

Should I tend more towards digital art or traditional art?

Is it important to show a wide use of materials?

Thanks for any advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I did Visual Arts Practice myself but I think some of the same things apply. Play to your strengths, include the better works you've made but it'd be good to show you have a range too. A nice eye for life-drawing can be to your credit as well. It might sound trite but showing that you can draw comfortably and confidently and with skill is the most important thing your portfolio can show.

Storyboards are a good thing to include but I would imagine that their content and quality are more important than their finish.

Both traditional and digital sides of animation are covered within the course so showing an aptitude for one or both would be very helpful but don't worry if your digital side is lacking a little, the course is there to give you new skills as well as polishing old ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 siobhaanx

Rhyme wrote: »
    I did Visual Arts Practice myself but I think some of the same things apply. Play to your strengths, include the better works you've made but it'd be good to show you have a range too. A nice eye for life-drawing can be to your credit as well. It might sound trite but showing that you can draw comfortably and confidently and with skill is the most important thing your portfolio can show.

Storyboards are a good thing to include but I would imagine that their content and quality are more important than their finish.

Both traditional and digital sides of animation are covered within the course so showing an aptitude for one or both would be very helpful but don't worry if your digital side is lacking a little, the course is there to give you new skills as well as polishing old ones.

Thank you, this really helps! How ridiculous does it sound to put a portfolio together in a month? Should I forget about it and just take a year out and focus on my leaving cert this year or should I attempt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

siobhaanx wrote: »
    Thank you, this really helps! How ridiculous does it sound to put a portfolio together in a month? Should I forget about it and just take a year out and focus on my leaving cert this year or should I attempt it?

I spent a year doing a portfolio preparation course so I wouldn't know how much time and effort building a portfolio would take away from your studies.

As cruel as it may sound, sacrificing some of your downtime from studies to do your portfolio might work out too, though it could be very tough. If you're anything like me, drawing and working on creative things counts as downtime so it'll be two birds with one stone :) Maybe have a chat with the counsellor in your school (if you have one) about doing so and the art staff too. Even if they can't help you much, speaking your thoughts out loud to someone can help make up your mind.

A portfolio from scratch in a month wouldn't be manageable, I think. Re-arranging existing material into a portfolio and then adding to it in a month is tough but doable.

You could talk to the places near you that offer art portfolio preparation courses as well, they might be able to offer some advice on timing and planning for your submittal. If a month to cobble together a successful portfolio proves too much, they can also inform you about how to apply for the courses they offer. Colaiste Dhulaigh were very helpful when I phoned them up and they assisted me in my application as I was just coming out of another college course and didn't know the first thing about assembling a real portfolio.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 siobhaanx

Rhyme wrote: »
    I spent a year doing a portfolio preparation course so I wouldn't know how much time and effort building a portfolio would take away from your studies.

As cruel as it may sound, sacrificing some of your downtime from studies to do your portfolio might work out too, though it could be very tough. If you're anything like me, drawing and working on creative things counts as downtime so it'll be two birds with one stone :) Maybe have a chat with the counsellor in your school (if you have one) about doing so and the art staff too. Even if they can't help you much, speaking your thoughts out loud to someone can help make up your mind.

A portfolio from scratch in a month wouldn't be manageable, I think. Re-arranging existing material into a portfolio and then adding to it in a month is tough but doable.

You could talk to the places near you that offer art portfolio preparation courses as well, they might be able to offer some advice on timing and planning for your submittal. If a month to cobble together a successful portfolio proves too much, they can also inform you about how to apply for the courses they offer. Colaiste Dhulaigh were very helpful when I phoned them up and they assisted me in my application as I was just coming out of another college course and didn't know the first thing about assembling a real portfolio.

Thanks so much for this! Think I'm going to attempt doing the portfolio and if I don't get in I'll just take a year out to really work on it :) I'll definitely talk to my art teacher about it and I'll look around for portfolio courses, Thanks again :)

Advertisement