Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing up soft poops

• 26-01-2014 2:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering does anyone have any tips on fiming up a cats poops? Dude goes from having normal formed ones to soft little blobs (not quite diarrhoea but not normal) all in one day, there's no change in his diet or anything like that but I just can't get it to firm up. I've tried feeding him all wet for a day, all dry, ID pouches but nothings helping really. I was thinking of fasting him for the day tomorrow then giving him a small amount of something plain like chicken or fish (whatever we have for dinner really!) as this clears up any actual runs when he has them. Does anyone know of anything else that may help? He's fed whiskas wet food and royal canin dry. (Would feed better wet food but parents refuse to let me buy online)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

I was just wondering does anyone have any tips on forming up a cats poops? Dude goes from having normal formed ones to soft little blobs (not quite diarrhoea but not normal) all in one day, there's no change in his diet or anything like that but I just can't get it to firm up. I've tried feeding him all wet for a day, all dry, ID pouches but nothings helping really. I was thinking of fasting him for the day tomorrow then giving him a small amount of something plain like chicken or fish (whatever we have for dinner really!) as this clears up any actual runs when he has them. Does anyone know of anything else that may help? He's fed whiskas wet food and royal canin dry. (Would feed better wet food but parents refuse to let me buy online)

easy for me to say but if tom is off form stomach wise its always boiled chicken for a few days but dude may not be back to himself yet and has sensations In which he thinks he needs to go

control may take a a little more time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

I was just wondering does anyone have any tips on fiming up a cats poops? Dude goes from having normal formed ones to soft little blobs (not quite diarrhoea but not normal) all in one day, there's no change in his diet or anything like that but I just can't get it to firm up. I've tried feeding him all wet for a day, all dry, ID pouches but nothings helping really. I was thinking of fasting him for the day tomorrow then giving him a small amount of something plain like chicken or fish (whatever we have for dinner really!) as this clears up any actual runs when he has them. Does anyone know of anything else that may help? He's fed whiskas wet food and royal canin dry. (Would feed better wet food but parents refuse to let me buy online)
    I wonder would some Acidophilus help?
    After all he's been through and all the antibiotics it might just balance out his intestinal flora... and his poops!
    Check it with your vet, of course, and if you get the go ahead start off with tiny amounts sprinkled on food.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You could go with very very small amounts of psyllium husks powder (we'd talk 2 tea spoons per 1000g kind of small) in his whiskas to help firm things up assuming he's also a drinker (if he don't drink water then the husks are a no go).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll discuss them with my vet and see what they think. He is a great drinker so we may go with the psyllium!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've tried feeding him all wet for a day, all dry, ID pouches but nothings helping really. I was thinking of fasting him for the day tomorrow then giving him a small amount of something plain like chicken or fish (whatever we have for dinner really!) as this clears up any actual runs when he has them.

Changing his food every day won't be helping at all. Pick the best food you can afford and stick to it. You could go for plain chicken and slowly introduce the commercial food over the course of a week. It'll probably take a few days for his tummy to settle down.

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    Changing his food every day won't be helping at all. Pick the best food you can afford and stick to it. You could go for plain chicken and slowly introduce the commercial food over the course of a week. It'll probably take a few days for his tummy to settle down.

We don't change his food every day really, he's always fed the same thing, 2 pouches of wet and 30g of dry but I just left the wet food out one day, and the dry food out another day. The ID was new alright but he's had that before with no troubles after he had gastro. I'm fasting him for the day anyway to see if it will help, he keeps coming up and begging when he sees me reach for anything near where his food is kept :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

We don't change his food every day really, he's always fed the same thing, 2 pouches of wet and 30g of dry but I just left the wet food out one day, and the dry food out another day. The ID was new alright but he's had that before with no troubles after he had gastro. I'm fasting him for the day anyway to see if it will help, he keeps coming up and begging when he sees me reach for anything near where his food is kept :pac:

they have a great way of making you feel guilty the little schits :p

Ive fasted him for 12 hours so I decided to scramble him an egg, little brat won't touch it but he's begging the rest of us for our fried eggs :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

When we got Ruby she had soft poop all the time, it also stank so bad if she used the litter tray upstairs in the bathroom, we could smell it downstairs like it was done beside us! (Even the dog used to move away from her if she farted)
    I tried changing foods, natural yogurt, chicken and rice, even got the ID food. None of this has made much difference, getting her onto the grain free food has firmed it up a bit, and reduced the smell, but I've yet to get her to normal firm poop all the time.
    If you find something that works, let me know!

Well he's constipated today :pac: he just can't make his mind up!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Well he's constipated today :pac: he just can't make his mind up!!

Oh no! Hope he's sorted out soon :)

Advertisement