Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best butchers in Dublin?

Options
  • 26-01-2014 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

I like splashing out on good steak and meat for Sunday roasts. What butcher in Dublin would you recommend - the kind that supplies top end restaurants.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Got a feeling that the Mods are goin' to put this one the Dublin Forum :(

But before the Mods descend :)

A local family butcher will have the access to same wholesale meat suppliers that the top end restaurants have. Some country butchers might even have their own abattoir and could well be able to do a "field to fork" type process.

My suggestion is build up a good relationship with your local family butcher and tell them what you are looking for, if they don't respond, shop around!

I know this not the answer you really want, but it works out much better in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

Lawlors Upper Rathmines Rd for me,have their own beef ageing room,do some interesting cuts(bavette,jacob's ladder)good marbling and very tasty.Fantastic free range pork as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

you will want dry aged meat and good steak restaurants will dry and age the meat themselves but your local good butcher may do it to if you ask. I believe it can take at least two weeks of dry aging to get the desired effect. Talk to your local butcher and you'll be surprised what they can do for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Pat Dunne wrote: »

But before the Mods descend :)

*descends*

This works better in the Dublin City forum OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Bit of a predictable answer but FXB on Moore St always has great quality meat.

Ennis butcher in Rialto is lovely, craft butcher.

Pat Whelan - the writer of the "Irish Butcher Shop" and "Irish Beef" cook books is the head butcher for Avoca, I've never been out to their premises in Malahide but it's supposed to be fantastic - I follow him on twitter and he shares some lovely pics!

The butcher in Fallon and Byrne is great, they always have a great mix of fresh meats, if you get chatting with the staff there they'll really sort you out!

I got a couple of really nice Irish steaks in M&S recently, cuts of sirloin but called Ranch and Flat Iron, really nicely marbled, incredibly tender and great value - two good size steaks for about 8e!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

It would be Peakin's on Leonard's Corner for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

For a special occasion - Fallon and Byrne's, expect to pay top dollar though. I got a bit of a shock the last time I got rib roast on the bone. :eek: €€€ I find FX Buckleys a bit hit and miss, get a good look before you buy. Could be my imagination, but I find the one on Talbot/North Earl street to have better quality than the one on Moore St. Clynes butcher in Ringsend is good. Curtis butcher in East Wall is good... very traditional, but he's a proper butcher, sides of meat hanging on hooks instead of vac packed meat being delivered.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

George King in Barton, Rathfarnham. Like the place mentioned by John Rambo, no vac pac, regularly see the sides of meat being delivered and hung in the fridge. I've a feeling the beef comes from his brother's farm in Wicklow. Very good quality but quite pricey (but worth it). If you're heading there, ask for Ray. He knows his stuff and is great for tips and advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Lawlors in rathmines for me. Outstanding beef on all cuts.

Also they are 1 of the few places that sells free range pork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I asked this question a while back. FX Buckleys was mentioned (theres one in Nutgrove) and although I've only been there once or twice, as they are open on Sundays, their meat isn't a patch on Wilsons Butchers in Rathfarnham. I'm never going anywhere else for meats.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

O'Toole's and Downey's in Terenure are both excellent. Got superb venison and boar for Christmas dinner from Downey's.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭greengold9999

Dunnes Butchers in Donnybrook are fantastic, great variety and quality, his steaks are amazing, and really good prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

+1 for Ennis Butchers in Rialto. Not cheap but good quality and a great range. They're also lovely guys to deal with!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭olly_mac

I can add to the rep of Ennis in Rialto. A bit on the expensive side but worth it. There is a butcher up on Errigal Road in Drimnagh too, Burkes (?), and he has his own dry room too. I only used him a few times, but his t-bones were good.

When I lived over Cabra way a few years back I used to go to O'Connor's on Immal Road for traditional cuts, but there is Ethersons on The New Cabra Road too. He does some nice speciality cuts, and will dry age on request.

Is Peakin's still going :) ? I used there a good bit when I lived in the area. Lovely staff there.

But as some other poster said, try as many as you can and you will spot the quality. Or as I do, different shops for different cuts. If a butcher gets to know you he or she will do the best for you. They like repeat business.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Clynes in Ringsend for me.

Advertisement