Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loo routine

• 26-01-2014 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Is this a good routine to outdoor toilet train my 10 week old pup.
    I bring him out for 5 mins every hour on the hour.
    Then bring him in weather he goes or not.But praise him loads and give him a treat if he goes.
    When he goes the loo in the house I was then scooping him up and bringing him outside until he went again (sometimes 45 mins waiting. I am sure he forgot why I put him out there.)
    Should I do the piece above in bold?
    If not what should I do?
    I feel sorry for him because this morning I had him out for 25 mis and he was freezing cold but I did not want to bring him until he went.
    Am I doing it wrong.

Thanks for taking the time to read the above

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

You're *meant* to mildly scold the pup if you catch them in the act, with a "no", then pick them up and bring them out.
    In reality, I don't feel this works so well. If you catch them in the act and scold, this may make some puppies worried and anxious about peeing when you're about. Not good.
    When you catch them, chances are that they have substantially emptied their bladder, and standing outside with them at this stage is a waste of time, and puppy isn't learning anything particularly useful.
    To my mind, if you catch the pup in the process of actually peeing, it's too late to do anything other than chalk it up to experience, and know that you'll need to get pup out again within the next 30-60 mins... I think that many 10 week old pups need to get out more often than every hour.
    The only time that I would say a calm "no" and scoop the pup up to go out would be when I saw him preparing to pee, so just as he begins to squat, but hasn't actually started to pee.
    Many pups will tip you off by suddenly breaking away from what they were doing, often walking away with rreasonable determination. They'll often get a faraway look in their eyes (which may be fleeting... You have been warned!), and they often start sniffing the floor, suddenly and out of context. Some pups will circle, but I wouldn't use this as a reliable predictor unless you know your pup does it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Thanks DBB. I understand what your saying about the pup not learning anything after they have gone and then bringing them outside.
    Its great to get someone's in the know view.Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Are you using a word/phrase when the pup goes to the loo outside? Try that as well as the praise and it won't take long until you can go out, say the word and the pup will know it's time to get down to business. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

tk123 wrote: »
    Are you using a word/phrase when the pup goes to the loo outside? Try that as well as the praise and it won't take long until you can go out, say the word and the pup will know it's time to get down to business. :)
    That's exactly what I am saying when he is out the back (Luis do your business)and when when he goes I give him loads of cuddles and give him a treat and say( that's your business)
    I am sure the neighbors think I am gone mad

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

When I'm trying to cope with this I generally think of it as training a dog to ask to go out. This is why I think puppy pads or newspaper are a waste of time and energy, and a very short term solution. With my hand on the door handle I wait until I have the dog's attention, then say a phrase like "do you want to go out?" If the dog reacts at all I open the door and accompany the dog outside so he doesn't see it as a banishment. If he does his jobbies outside I make a bit of a fuss, nothing major. (If he slips up indoors I try to interrupt with a sharp "AH AH!". If I don't catch him in the act there's no point reacting at all.)
    If I catch the dog looking at the door at all, or loitering in the general vicinity, I open it immediately and we go out together. If an hour or so has passed I'll try the phrase "do you want to go out?" and if he rushes to the door then I know the battle is won.
    It's important to keep in mind that banishing a dog outside alone is often counterproductive. I want him to want to go out, not to think of 'out' as a cold and lonely place where bold dogs go.
    Of course, all this effort and intense scrutiny of a dog's weewee habits takes place over a couple of days, and done properly it means you hardly have to think about such matters again for the rest of the dog's life.
    Having said that, even now, after all these years of model behaviour if we go to a strange house, somewhere we have never been before, I usually say "do you want to go out?" within ten minutes of arriving. That give me a chance to show them where 'out' is, and after that they know how to ask.

• Advertisement
Advertisement