Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegas wedding

Options
  • 26-01-2014 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All,

We got married in vegas about 2 years ago in a wedding chapel. a few friends we had made over in the US came and it was what we wanted at the time.
    we are both irish citizens born and bred.
    the problem is I really want a big wedding day here in Ireland. would this be possible or would it just be a blessing? if can only be a blessing is there any way we can change anything so that we can have a proper service not a blessing in the local church?
    I don't think people would be as bothered attending our 'wedding' if it was just a blessing? maybe I am wrong but a few of my friends I have mentioned it to are saying stuff like '' sure why are you doing that aren't you already married?''
    any suggestions or if anybody who is an authority on these matters would be great.
    I am off to the citizens advice tomorrow for their opinion.
    thanks Katie.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I would imagine if you got married in Vegas then it would not have been a religious wedding in a catholic church? Therefore you would not be married in the eyes of the church so a traditional church wedding is still completely possible? I could be wrong though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

that horse has already bolted

Catholic church will not marry you if you are already married

you might get vow renewal ask your local parish priest

most people will not want to go to a vow renewal

I would not even for family

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Do you really want a church wedding? (Having asked that, I wonder why you would bother getting married first to get married again, since the church part would have to be the actual wedding if what you wanted is to walk down the isle of a church.)

If what you'd like to do is vows in front of family and friends in Ireland and a party after, then you could always hire one of those marriage celebrants. They do ceremonies that are not legal weddings but are often usually for those that get hitched at the registrar's midweek and then have a ceremony of choice at the weekend, e.g. intimate or outdoors.
    If I was being invited to a vows renewal, I'd go if I could and enjoy the party, but I wouldn't consider it a wedding.

Advertisement