Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

covering a wall idea

• 26-01-2014 1:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭

Hi. I've removed ivy from the wall and attached a trellis. There's a path at the base of the wall. Im wondering should I try and make the Virginia creeper and Boston ivy reach over from the following garden or get some kind of vessel to plant at the wall. Ideas welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't think you will need both on that much wall and neither of them need trellis, they will tend to pull the trellis down. They are closely related to each other. Whether you get the plants to come from round the corner depends on which way the wall is facing. If the longer part of the wall gets more sun than the side where the soil is, then the plants will grow round onto the long side. If the side is facing, say, south, you may find it difficult to get the plants to go round the corner. I would not put either of them in a pot, could you make a hole in the concrete path?

Having said all that they are both fairly easy going plants and I would suggest planting them in the soil and letting them go round the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hi. I've removed ivy from the wall and attached a trellis. There's a path at the base of the wall. Im wondering should I try and make the Virginia creeper and Boston ivy reach over from the following garden or get some kind of vessel to plant at the wall. Ideas welcome.

As a matter of interest why did you remove a self clinging evergreen climber with 2 deciduous climbers which require support (trellis)? Apart from a few weeks of red leaf, the deciduous will require more work to control and keep tidy.
    There are several evergreen flowering (some with scent) climbers Summer + Winter flowering Jasmine, Clematis Apple Blossom and Honeysuckle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

As a matter of interest why did you remove a self clinging evergreen climber with 2 deciduous climbers which require support (trellis)? Apart from a few weeks of red leaf, the deciduous will require more work to control and keep tidy.
    There are several evergreen flowering (some with scent) climbers Summer + Winter flowering Jasmine, Clematis Apple Blossom and Honeysuckle.
    The ivy was wrecking a fence and crawling pervasively everywhere even along the ground. It also had managed to root into the seal around my pvc windows. I wanted something that climbs rather than roots.

The ivy was wrecking a fence and crawling pervasively everywhere even along the ground. It also had managed to root into the seal around my pvc windows. I wanted something that climbs rather than roots.

Sorry to disappoint you but you're going to have not dis-similar trouble and perhaps more trouble with the other 2 (Boston Ivy /Virginia creeper) which actually spread more rapidly.

Thanks for the other options. I'm rethinking now. I have a large wall at the back, maybe the climbers can go there and I can look at your other options for my trellis.

• Advertisement

One needs to be very careful with most climbers as many are invasive and can get quickly out of control unless regularly maintained (not to be underestimated). Of the few names I mentioned, winter jasmine is probably the least troublesome. Others worth considering include Pyracantha (very prickly), Rambling Rose.

For a slower but beautiful finish, you should look at Euonymus 'Emerald and Gold' which is a shrub but when planted against a wall will climb for superb results.

For a slower but beautiful finish, you should look at Euonymus 'Emerald and Gold' which is a shrub but when planted against a wall will climb for superb results.

My mother had one of those, years ago, which took it upon itself to create a spectacular effect by climbing up a fence. I took several cuttings and rooted them and planted them in various places over the years. Not one has shown any inclination to climb anywhere! There must be a secret to it :D

looksee wrote: »
    My mother had one of those, years ago, which took it upon itself to create a spectacular effect by climbing up a fence. I took several cuttings and rooted them and planted them in various places over the years. Not one has shown any inclination to climb anywhere! There must be a secret to it :D

Usually little trouble so long as the plant is planted close to the wall and at a slight angle/leaning tilt will help. Plant will naturally bush and spread as ground cover but by selectively removing outer shoots only it will encourage new growth up the fence/wall. Once established it can be cut tight and neat to produce a very impressive, space efficient and trouble free display. ;)

Usually little trouble so long as the plant is planted close to the wall and at a slight angle/leaning tilt will help. Plant will naturally bush and spread as ground cover but by selectively removing outer shoots only it will encourage new growth up the fence/wall. Once established it can be cut tight and neat to produce a very impressive, space efficient and trouble free display. ;)

:) I have no doubt at all that you are entirely correct. Hers however was planted randomly in a bit of - space - a metre or so away from a scruffy fence. It was then totally ignored, grew across the metre of garden and took off wildly into the assorted confusion of things that were already growing there, and created a huge display maybe three metres across and the same high. My last surviving specimen (I got bored with the others) is still, many years later, still sitting there being a bit of maybe 2 ft by 2 ft healthy but boring ground cover!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,589 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm a fan if growing veg. Why not grow a few runner beans?

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    I'm a fan if growing veg. Why not grow a few runner beans?

Unfortunately the wall will only get an hour of direct light a day or so.

Advertisement