Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather Ban

Options
  • 26-01-2014 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

I was banned from the weather forum for 3 days for the following reason:
    You did not obtain advance permission for starting this "Discussion on the rules" thread from a Weather mod, This, and your earlier in-thread discussion of moderation has resulted in a 3- day ban

This was following posts I made Friday http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057012575&page=154

Posts that were on topic of winter weather were deleted and no-reason given then weathering posted http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88644938&postcount=2297 and was banned without anyone stating there was ban on thread.

After my posts a mod pistolpetes11 posted
    Id say if you speak nicely to Lumi she might open the forum feedback thread now and you's can air your dirty laundry there
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88646318&postcount=2309

I said this to Lumi in a PM she never replied I waited until this morning and then started a discussion on rules thread similar to the one politics have, the thread was deleted and then I was banned for 3 days.

The weather forum has lost a lot of good members over the past few years and even in recent days due to several issues and I think a thread discussing rules and modding would help ensure that doesn't continue to happen.

I don't think my ban was in any way fair or will help the forum.
    Cheers for your time.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Hi Villain. Please be advised that I will review your DRP 3-day ban appeal during this weekend and post results here. Sincerely, Black Swan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Hi Villain,
    The wording of your "A discussion on the rules" OP for which you received a 3-day ban reads very much like what a mod would post for the forum, but you are not a Weather moderator.

It may or may not be useful to have "A discussion on the rules" thread in Weather someday as exists in Politics, unfortunately you acted on your own to create one without authorization by Weather mods, charter, FAQ, or boards.ie Terms of Use. In doing so, it very much appeared as if you were backseat modding the forum, which had been the primary justification for your 3-day ban.

Had you done this on most forums within boards.ie odds are your OP would have been deleted, and you would have been infracted or banned. You did have options to air your concerns. As with most boards.ie forum charters, you were asked to PM the mods, and if you did not reach a resolution within a reasonable period of time, you could PM the Cmods, Admins, or start a thread in Feedback to have "A discussion on the rules" regarding the Weather forum. Even Politics, which has its own dedicated "A discussion on the rules" thread, also has had such discussions in Feedback over the years.

In reviewing the above, as well as the exchange of PMs between you, the mods, and myself, I have not found compelling evidence to overturn your 3-day ban, consequently it stands. You may accept this decision and move on, or you may ask for Admin review. Please advise.

Sincerely,
    Black Swan

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Thanks Black Swan for your time.

The only issue I have with what you said is
    you were asked to PM the mods, and if you did not reach a resolution within a reasonable period of time

I sent a PM on Friday and up to Sunday morning when I started the thread I hadn't received a reply if I had received a reply in relation to a feedback thread I wouldn't have started the thread however Lumi was not willing to discuss it.

I don't see any breach of charter that warranted an instant ban, an infraction could have been used if the mod felt I was in breach of charter. I didn't just go and start the thread I raised the idea in a thread another mod said I should ask nicely of Lumi to start one I said it to her and she didn't reply for two days, I think a ban for that is over the top.

I would like an Admin to review the case as much to raise the current issues on the Weather Forum as to review my case, I don't think the heavy handed banning and deleting of posts/threads is helpful to the forum.

Villain wrote: »
    I would like an Admin to review the case...

REQUEST TO ADMIN:

Please review. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Any update?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Villain wrote: »
    Any update?

I'll nudge the admins on this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Apologies for the delay.

Villain, you were told in no uncertain terms by the forum mod your options for voicing your issues with the forum.

1. Wait for the impending feedback thread.
    2. PM Lumi and ask if an existing thread can be reopened.

You then opened a thread without waiting for a response from Lumi. If there had been a unacceptable delay then there *might* have been cause to bring the issue up again with pistolpetes11 - but never to start a feedback thread as a user. As it was, you PM'd on a Friday and didn't even give the mod the weekend to respond.

It's not okay for forum users to randomly start feedback thread in a forum, and it's even worse when they've already been told where feedback is acceptable.

I have no problem with this ban.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement