Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know an AU / VST plugin to control a "wah" effect in real-time?

Options
  • 26-01-2014 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just learning about filters and how they work at the moment, in the context of built in filters that are part of most software synth generators.
    The problem I'm having is that I'm trying to apply a wah-like effect to an entire track (starting off muffled and opening up to a wide-open crescendo, a bit like the start of Avicii's "Wake Me Up" or Calvin Harris' "I'm Not Alone"), whereas the filters included in the instrument generator itself tend to be applied individually to each note. As the wah I want would be a slow build over three or four chords, the filters which reset with each new note press are useless in this context.

With that in mind, I'm looking in to filters which are applied as insert effects to the entire track. Ideally I want one in which the frequency can be controlled directly in real time, for example with a modulation wheel - does anyone know of an effect like this? I'd like to be able to draw an automation curve myself for the wah instead of having to rely on a pre-set automation, it just never sounds as cool.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I'm just learning about filters and how they work at the moment, in the context of built in filters that are part of most software synth generators.
    The problem I'm having is that I'm trying to apply a wah-like effect to an entire track (starting off muffled and opening up to a wide-open crescendo, a bit like the start of Avicii's "Wake Me Up" or Calvin Harris' "I'm Not Alone"), whereas the filters included in the instrument generator itself tend to be applied individually to each note. As the wah I want would be a slow build over three or four chords, the filters which reset with each new note press are useless in this context.

With that in mind, I'm looking in to filters which are applied as insert effects to the entire track. Ideally I want one in which the frequency can be controlled directly in real time, for example with a modulation wheel - does anyone know of an effect like this? I'd like to be able to draw an automation curve myself for the wah instead of having to rely on a pre-set automation, it just never sounds as cool.

Are you saying that filter resets at the start of every note? I've never come across this problem, unless the filter is tied to an LFO which is set to retrigger.
    What DAW are you using? It should have its own filter which you place in an insert and control the cutoff frequency with automation, bypassing the VST filter.

Advertisement