Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

criminology career prospects

• 26-01-2014 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi I am a sixth year student applying for the BA in criminology in UCC, I was wondering if to work in the criminal justice system in Ireland do you know if you have to be registered with the psi (psychological society of Ireland?) Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭auskid

Ill give you a tip...I am currently doing a social science degree and one of my modules is crime and deviance which is run by the course director of criminology. Allthough it is very interesting the lecturer in question is pretty arrogant while being a nice guy...to be honest i was thinking of doing the masters in criminology but now having done this module and met the people involve it very much turned me off. I spoke to the man himself and he could not answer the question on job prospects...basically said it will help you get into the guards easier...Also dont be fooled by the fancy name...it is very much theory based and not at all as exiting as it seems....its basically a kind of sociology which is the study of crime and its causes and effects on society...its not CSI or anything like that.....hope that helps

also in order to register with the psychological society of Ireland you would have to study actual psychology as a degree course in order to qualify for a masters in one of the psychological fields which then you would be able to register.....the ba in criminology is basically a sociology degree like arts or social science which limits the masters prospects of such things you mentioned...to be honest to work in the criminal justice system your going to have to do a law degree of some sort......a degree in criminology will open the postgraduates in the arts section of uccs postgraduates....with this degree you will not have the entry requirement for any psychology or law masters.....Unfrotunately these are the facts...hope i didnt cause any dissapointment...im open to correction but i am currently on the postgraduate trail myself and i am very much investigating all angles available to someone with an arts degree such as social science or in your case criminology

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Aoifesomers96

Oh thank you! This is really helpful! As I've actually been considering changing my mind and doing arts with pyschology and this has certainly confirmed all my doubts so thank you very much! Really helpful!

Just to let you know you might not be able do a post graduate in psychology which will allow you to register with the P.S.O.I you will need to do a ba in psychology http://www.ucc.ie/en/ck106/ because the psoi require this degree to register see this linkhttp://www.psihq.ie/accreditation for their requirements...the ba honours applied psychology is 500 points...the ba honours studies in psychology arts is 335 points but i dont think they will accept that...but it might qualify you to do a post grad which they might accept ....hope this makes sense....basically if I were you I would email the psychology dept. in Ucc and ask them if the arts psychology is accepted to do a one of their post grad in psychology

Advertisement