Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best royalty option to go for on Amazon?

Options
  • 26-01-2014 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I have recently finished my first novel and the time has come to self-publish onto Amazon kindle. Is there anyone out there who has taken these steps already, who can offer me some advice on the situation? I'd really appreciate it.

At first glance, the 70% option seems like a no-brainer. But when you look at all the small print, that's not necessarily always the case. A lot needs to be considered.

In my case, I've written a fantasy novel of 386,00 words - roughly 700 pages. And after studying the fantasy line on Amazon, I see that many people charge £3 and up for their work. Would that be the way to go?

Then again, the 35% royalty option - even though it pays less - doesn't charge a delivery fee, and there are a few less strings.

I'm completely caught on the fence here, with not a clue of what to do? Is there anyone out there who can help me?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

There's a good few articles on optimal pricing of e-books for the Kindle. I read a number of them through the portal site sfsignal.com although a (very) cursory search didn't immediately reveal them. I know that a number of authors tried pricing the same book at different values to work out what the best return was. Seem to recall that $0.99 was too low - not enough profit but some people would also assume that, at that price, the novel couldn't have been good. Conversely, no higher than about $6 because people wouldn't think it could be good enough!
    Have a poke around on the site to see if you can find the articles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Would you not try and go through a publisher (assuming you haven't already)? I'd immediately be put off paying anything for a self published novel tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Try the Creative Writing forum. I think EileenG, who is a mod on there, has published books on Amazon so might be able to give you some good advice.

Advertisement