Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grange Castle or Elm Green Golf?

Options
  • 26-01-2014 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

Which is better Grange Castle or Elm Green golf course as I'm hoping to join in 2014?
    I took a quick look round both, no time to play yet.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,157 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

cd1 wrote: »
    Hi,

Which is better Grange Castle or Elm Green golf course as I'm hoping to join in 2014?

Thanks,

Depends on a lot of things really.
    I'm a member of Grange Castle and there's no doubt which one I would pick.

If you are new to golf then Elm Green is good as it's short and I think it's far easier. (To back that up, there was someone posting here that the got a HC of 16 in Elm Green when they were previously off 23 in another club)

If you're looking for more of a challenge then I think GC offers that way more. Most of the challenge comes from its length. The comps are off the blues at circa 6,750 yards. It'll force you to bring on your long game. Driver & then a hybrid can be required on 6/10 of the par 4's.
    Being honest, I think it's a bit too long week in, week out. Another short Par 4 or two would be ideal.
    But i would certainly take that over Elm Green, some of the par 4's are drivable, or a good drive will leave you a chip. I'm not gone on that tbh.

GC seems to becoming very popular for their target market, I'm slowly beginning to notice this on the timesheet. 2-3 months ago I never had an issue, it's certainly getting harder to get out now.

I'm sure Elm G is similarly busy for members comps but best to ask a member.

Outside of members time, both courses will be busy in the summer with casuals.

The best thing I see with Elm G is the playing rights in Corballis. If you can make it out there 2 or 3 times a month over the winter then that's a massive plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

I recently joined GC myself as my first club . Its litreally on my doorstep and at 750 for me it will be worth it as i could be around there 4 times a week when longer evenings come in .

I played EG twice before Xmas and couldn fault it but i mark a card of 28 so even a short course is a challage for me .

I suppose it depends on how far you have to travel and how much you plan on getting out each week . I know i wouldn fancy the drive to EG on a midweek evening .

Since iv joined i found it hard to get a casual weekend round but thats to be expected as comps are run both days .

Plus GC have a practice 7 hole course you can arrive up anytime and play . This was a real big plus for me

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cd1

Hoping to play 1 week day and weekend.
    25-30 min drive.
    My handicap is low 20's having started at a handicap of 36 so looking for a bit of a golf challenge on a decent course.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

GC is the better course but off a 20 handicap I think either would be fine and will give you scope to improve even more. I'd go for whichever is more convenient but the access to Corballis is a plus for EG - if you are likely to use it - just to get a flavour of links golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Gc for your handicap.Generous fairways for 20 handicap.
    Shorter courses can be tight so not always easier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭markpauldunne

I had the same thing between Black bush and Ashbourne, went with proximity in the end (Ashbourne is 4 mins from my house BB was 15-20) Now I can nip out for a few holes at the drop of a hat. So what are your travel times to each ?

I had the same thing between Black bush and Ashbourne, went with proximity in the end (Ashbourne is 4 mins from my house BB was 15-20) Now I can nip out for a few holes at the drop of a hat. So what are your travel times to each ?

Proximity is a huge factor. I'd just pick the one I'm most likely to play or practice at most often. Neither are top-notch courses but plenty good enough for someone who by the sound of it is at the stage where they mostly need to get out as often as possible and see where that takes them.

I'm not running either of them down - they are pretty good value and well looked after. EG has a decent range as I recall and GC has the practice holes so can't really go wrong either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Hoping to play 1 week day and weekend.
    25-30 min drive.
    My handicap is low 20's having started at a handicap of 36 so looking for a bit of a golf challenge on a decent course.

Thanks,

Will you have to cross the westlink to get to the courses? The cost of the tolls could be a deciding factor if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chazz_7

Hi,

Thanks,

Wouldn't recommend grange castle because from a personal point of view, the course is a piece of ****. Greens are generally horrific

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Chazz_7 wrote: »
    Wouldn't recommend grange castle because from a personal point of view, the course is a piece of ****. Greens are generally horrific

Must be a long time since you've played Grange Castle.

• Advertisement

Welcome to boards.ie
    Greens aren't that bad, when did you play it last?

PARlance wrote: »
    Welcome to boards.ie
    Greens aren't that bad, when did you play it last?

Month ago, know from experience what it's like though, they seem to get over excited pole forking too

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Must be a long time since you've played Grange

Just making the point the greens are pretty pretty slow and bobbly :)

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Must be a long time since you've played Grange

Just making the point the greens are pretty pretty slow and bobbly :)

Sounds like you had a bad day on the greens.

Month ago, know from experience what it's like though, they seem to get over excited pole forking too

My general rule is that if I think a course is deserving of an expletive, I don't go back again.

Greens aren't great in comparison to top courses, but they certainly don't stand out as being horrific.

Did you lose an away match? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

I heard the greens are that way because its a public course and the traffic they get.
    Played the course plenty of times and greens are always just ok

Advertisement