Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contention with other providers

Options
  • 26-01-2014 5:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

I was a former Eircom customer and now have decided to return to Eircom to see could I ever get near a working broadband service again.

I was an Eircom customer up until February 2013 and had a 3mb service which worked perfectly but it had a pathetic 30GB Download allowance. I moved to Sky for the unlimited allowance and the speed increase.

Thus I moved to Sky and it worked for the first month. Then afterwards the speeds totally collapsed and Sky clearly have backhaul contention issues. I argued this with them and they refused to accept it, eventually they sent out an Eircom technician on two different occasions who both tested the line and verified it was working perfectly and well capable of receiving the 7mbps as per the DSL profile assinged to the Sky Modem. I would get the full 7mbps up until around 4pm each evening and it would then drop to 1mb-1.5mb until around 2am at night when the speed would come back. Sky refused to admit to the contention issue but admitted the problem could not be fixed and I was released from contract early. As I was on a really cheap package from Sky for €27.50/month for everything and so I continued out the lenght of the contract until it expired this month and doubled in price.

Last week I moved from Sky to Vodafone and I have gone from bad to even worse.

I am getting 2mbs 24/7 on Vodafone now compared to Sky who would at least give me the full speed at least up until 4.00pm each evening. I have reported the issue to Vodafone who have logged it as a fault and are awaiting the results of the technician before they will release me from the 18 month contract early.

I am coming back to Eircom this week and all I want is a working service, not this useless crap that Vodafone and Sky are peddling. All I want from Eircom is the truth that they could provide me with a service because if Eircom can't provide the speed and bandwidth I will just cancel the landline service entirely as there is no point in me paying nearly €60/month if I can't get a proper broadband service, for €20/month I could have a Three stick which would give me something almost usable compared to pathetic service I have been enduring the last year from Sky and now Vodafone. I am not interested in a Landline for call service and only need it for Broadband, obviously I use it but will not continue with a landline service when the quality of broadband is so bad. 

I'm coming back Eircom all is forgiven.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Stinicker wrote: »
    I was a former Eircom customer and now have decided to return to Eircom to see could I ever get near a working broadband service again.

I was an Eircom customer up until February 2013 and had a 3mb service which worked perfectly but it had a pathetic 30GB Download allowance. I moved to Sky for the unlimited allowance and the speed increase.

Thus I moved to Sky and it worked for the first month. Then afterwards the speeds totally collapsed and Sky clearly have backhaul contention issues. I argued this with them and they refused to accept it, eventually they sent out an Eircom technician on two different occasions who both tested the line and verified it was working perfectly and well capable of receiving the 7mbps as per the DSL profile assinged to the Sky Modem. I would get the full 7mbps up until around 4pm each evening and it would then drop to 1mb-1.5mb until around 2am at night when the speed would come back. Sky refused to admit to the contention issue but admitted the problem could not be fixed and I was released from contract early. As I was on a really cheap package from Sky for €27.50/month for everything and so I continued out the lenght of the contract until it expired this month and doubled in price.

Last week I moved from Sky to Vodafone and I have gone from bad to even worse.

I am getting 2mbs 24/7 on Vodafone now compared to Sky who would at least give me the full speed at least up until 4.00pm each evening. I have reported the issue to Vodafone who have logged it as a fault and are awaiting the results of the technician before they will release me from the 18 month contract early.

I am coming back to Eircom this week and all I want is a working service, not this useless crap that Vodafone and Sky are peddling. All I want from Eircom is the truth that they could provide me with a service because if Eircom can't provide the speed and bandwidth I will just cancel the landline service entirely as there is no point in me paying nearly €60/month if I can't get a proper broadband service, for €20/month I could have a Three stick which would give me something almost usable compared to pathetic service I have been enduring the last year from Sky and now Vodafone. I am not interested in a Landline for call service and only need it for Broadband, obviously I use it but will not continue with a landline service when the quality of broadband is so bad. 

I'm coming back Eircom all is forgiven.

Hi Stinicker

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear of the issues you have had recently. I would like to be transparent with you and advise that eircom will not be able to guarantee that you will not experience congestion like issues at peak times. There are a number of issues of which can attribute to what you have experienced with the other providers and it would be unfair to tell you that this would definitely not happen with eircom. Eircom broadband is sold and provided on the terms of 'up to' and you may not get the full speeds at all times.

Should you wish to still sign up with eircom please contact eircom broadband sales on free phone 1800503303.

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

Taken from eircom's website

"We say "up to" because the broadband speeds your line can receive may vary - this can depend on factors such as how far you are from your local exchange. With our uncongested Broadband you will not share your broadband connection with other internet users in your area - even at peak hours of the day! This ensures you will always receive the fastest speed your line can support and delivers a consistent online experience for you"

Advertisement