Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ableton Live - Strange issue when importing an audio clip! Help?

• 26-01-2014 5:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Greetz all...

I've just started work on a college assignment, which requires me to produce a five minute news bulletin for radio, complete with my scripted narrative, music bed and a few audio clips thrown in.

I did the whole thing live on the college radio station, only to find that the recording software that records all on-air output decided to go on the blink that day. So, I got all the separate parts, re-recorded the narration (dry) in the studio, and headed on home to stitch it together in live.

Funny thing is, when I import the news bed music into Ableton, the waveform is solid, and it distorts unbearably. It's like Ableton turned up the gain to 11 on import! None of the other audio clips have done this, and it's never happened before in my two years of using Live to manipulate audio clips.

I opened the file in Audition, Windoze media player and VLC player,and they all play the file with no problems.

I'm baffled, here's a screen of the issue -

Ableton news bed issue.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

Bit Depth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

^^ only thing i could think of too but still bizzare that it would be that much different.

or possibly a corrupt project file. maybe try importing it to a new project. (but thats a very long shot).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Cool, how would I go about checking?

SamAK wrote: »
    Cool, how would I go about checking?

right click file, check properties. create session with matching bit depth. although id be surprised if that was it.

can you upload a portion of the file that we could download and do a little investigation on?

can you upload a portion of the file that we could download and do a little investigation on?

Sure! It's probably something silly but.....i'm not immune to being silly on occasion!

Soundcloud is the only way, but as far as I know, SC converts and compresses?

• Advertisement

SamAK wrote: »
    Sure! It's probably something silly but.....i'm not immune to being silly on occasion!

Soundcloud is the only way, but as far as I know, SC converts and compresses?

just use www.uploaded.to

its free and we can download full quality

"You're trying to upload a copyrighted file to our platform and therefore your file hasn't been saved, please read and respect our ToS."

WHUT?!

wut???? hahahaha ive never seen that before and i use it to send audio everyday!

stick it in a .rar file and name it test.rar - it should work then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Out of interest and purely as an exercise, if you open the 'news bed music' in Audacity and convert it to mp3 then import that into Ableton will it do the same thing? Not saying you should work with mp3's here but just curious as to what Ableton will do.

I've never had the same problem but have occasionally had freaky situations where I import a group of field recordings all made on the same day on the same recorder and fine in Audacity and Ableton decides to single one of them out and not display it properly. If I take the offending file and just Save As an identical file format in Audacity it opens fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

^ yes, along the lines of this suggestion- you've said that it opens in Audition w/o any problem - open it again and try to 'save as' in various formats until you find one that will work w/ Ableton. Also, is this a licenced copy of Ableton?

• Advertisement

TroutMask wrote: »
    you've said that it opens in Audition w/o any problem - open it again and try to 'save as' in various formats

So, I converted it to mp3 in Audition and voila, works fine when imported to Ableton.

Still odd though, but I think the news bed was edited in Audition before I got it, because it's just a short loop extended to 6 minutes for news bulletins. So maybe it was an mp3 originally, and was bounced out of Audition as an empty wav container?

Advertisement