Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Wage? what can I expect.

Options
  • 26-01-2014 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭

We are thinking of immigrating to Oz towards the end of the year, myself, hubby (mid 40's) and two kids will be 16 and 11. Both of us have required skills I will have a degree in Food Science and OH is a general plumber. What realistically can we expect in wages both Gross and Net and what are the general costs of living. I know that it will vary depending on the region for rent but for day to day household expenses bills, insurances, schools etc. what is considered a good wage without struggling to make ends meet every month.
    Also where is the main dairy industries located since that's were I have experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Aptitude

Agent_99 wrote: »
    We are thinking of immigrating to Oz towards the end of the year, myself, hubby (mid 40's) and two kids will be 16 and 11. Both of us have required skills I will have a degree in Food Science and OH is a general plumber. What realistically can we expect in wages both Gross and Net and what are the general costs of living. I know that it will vary depending on the region for rent but for day to day household expenses bills, insurances, schools etc. what is considered a good wage without struggling to make ends meet every month.
    Also where is the main dairy industries located since that's were I have experience.

If you contact these guys I`m sure they will give you lots of info about the dairy industry:

http://www.dairyaustralia.com.au/

As for salaries, try something like this:

http://www.hays.com.au/salary-guide/request-copy/index.htm

Don`t know much about cost of living, others will tell you, but apparently its high, but wages are higher too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

The wage you **could** expect would depend on the jobs you are looking for.

You mention food science and dairy but are you talking about working on a farm as dairy hands? Working in a dairy factory as health and safety officer? More details will be required.

The cost of living will depend on your visa status. Citizens? Permanent residents? Sponsored?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Assuming you have your visas sorted out, permanent resident/citizen will incur less expenses than sponsored for most things medical like seeing a Dr or getting tests done.

Big Dairy areas include Gippsland & around Warnambool in Vic and on the Murray on VIC/NSW border.

Look at Seek website & check out going rates for your chosen job.

Living regionally would work out cheaper for rent & bills & less opportunity to spend it compared to the big city. You'd live as a family very comfortably on 100k in the country.
    To look at insurance, look at AAMI or Youi online & just enter your criteria.
    State schools in VIC & NSW should be free, anything else will have fees, depends on what you want. Google your chosen area, find your school type & go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Assuming you have your visas sorted out, permanent resident/citizen will incur less expenses than sponsored for most things medical like seeing a Dr or getting tests done. re

Visa not sorted yet, looking at 189 or 4xx permanent residence for the skills we have. I would be looking at a lab technician or production supervisor job in a food/dairy plant. OH would hope to get job with a plumbing/maintainance firm. State school for the kids would be fine as we are not religious and don't need the catholic ethos. We would have a preference for the burbs so the kids can become independent and make friends be able to get to and from school walk or bus. We currently live out in the sticks and lifts have to be provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,337 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Visa not sorted yet, looking at 189 or 4xx permanent residence for the skills we have.
    You should probably start researching the visa a bit more before you worry about were to live, salaries, schools etc.
    Assuming you have your visas sorted out, permanent resident/citizen will incur less expenses than sponsored for most things medical like seeing a Dr or getting tests done.
    That's true, PR/Citizen will pay less in the doctors office, but they pay for it elsewhere. It's not a free service.
    I'd say the sponsored person comes away better on average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Visa not sorted yet, looking at 189 or 4xx permanent residence for the skills we have. I would be looking at a lab technician or production supervisor job in a food/dairy plant. OH would hope to get job with a plumbing/maintainance firm. State school for the kids would be fine as we are not religious and don't need the catholic ethos. We would have a preference for the burbs so the kids can become independent and make friends be able to get to and from school walk or bus. We currently live out in the sticks and lifts have to be provided.

Note that with any visa that isn't permanent you will incur fees to have your children attend a state school depending upon the state. It's not cheap.

Also the 16 year old will be 18 soon so I imagine Uni is on the cards?

No free education in AU. You'd be looking at anywhere between $8k-$12k per annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

4xx permanent residence for the skills we have.

Any 400 series visa is not Permanent, 417,457,475,489 are all temporary visa's

Batgurl wrote: »
    Also the 16 year old will be 18 soon so I imagine Uni is on the cards?

No free education in AU. You'd be looking at anywhere between $8k-$12k per annum.

The way 3rd level is going now I'll probably end up spending that here anyway.
    Mellor wrote: »
    You should probably start researching the visa a bit more before you worry about were to live, salaries, schools etc.

That's true, PR/Citizen will pay less in the doctors office, but they pay for it elsewhere. It's not a free service.
    I'd say the sponsored person comes away better on average.

Will be researching the visas soon, not planning a move until the end of this year I still have to finish my degree, sort out things this side before any move. I'll look into getting a visa agent in the mean time, and need to renew passports, driver licences so they are current.
    Thanks for the advise so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,337 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Will be researching the visas soon, not planning a move until the end of this year I still have to finish my degree, sort out things this side before any move. I'll look into getting a visa agent in the mean time, and need to renew passports, driver licences so they are current.
    Thanks for the advise so far.
    I think you need to do a lot more research into this tbh, sooner is better than later.
    If you are planning to move at the end of this year, you haven't got much time to spare tbh. You need to lodge an expression of interest, then be invited before you can apply, and the application process take a few months at best.

If you are only finishing your degree with no post qualification experience in the field, you might not qualify for a PR visa either. Maybe your husband wil as a plumber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

The PR visa can be a long enough process. You must give an expression of interest and then be invited to apply for it. No one can just apply. I know someone who gave their expression of interest but was told by immigration she wont be invited to apply for the visa as she wont get it (she hadnt worked in her profession for long enough over the previous number of years). So just be aware, expression of interest isnt just a waiting game before you apply...they can tell you no at that stage.

The way 3rd level is going now I'll probably end up spending that here anyway.

I wouldn't say a €2,500 annual registration fee is comparable to $10,000 annual university fees (and these fees are only if you are PR, international students pay a lot more) but you know best what you can afford!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Phil UGC

Have you decided on which state you want to live in?

Phil UGC wrote: »
    Have you decided on which state you want to live in?

Depending on the work situation, I have no preference, but close to an urban center for school, shopping etc

Batgurl wrote: »
    I wouldn't say a €2,500 annual registration fee is comparable to $10,000 annual university fees (and these fees are only if you are PR, international students pay a lot more) but you know best what you can afford!

Standard of living/wages are higher over there compared to here I would expect to be on a better wage.

The registration fees for third level here will be in excess of €3000 in 3 years
    Budget 2013: It was announced that the student contribution will be €3,000 in 2015-2016.
    which equates to ~4,600AUD and he probably hopefully would not qualify for a grant due to earnings here when we reach that bridge.

Can anyone recommend a good visa agent? need to get this process rolling

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

Can anyone recommend a good visa agent? need to get this process rolling

You would need to go with a MARA registered agent, and they're not cheap. Visafirst seem to be the main agents here in Ireland.
    There are loads over in Australia as well, and they all offer the same service.
    When I first started looking into emigrating, I contacted True blue migration through a website enquiry. I also contacted Visafirst and found them faster to respond to all my enquiries. I decided to stick with Visafirst as they were more personable and simplified the whole process helping me with my skills assessment too.
    NB: Its still a very long and expensive process to go through, but you'll have greater security on the job hunt should be accepted for permanent residency.

Advertisement