Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting wireless speed limit on eircom router?

Options
  • 26-01-2014 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    As the title says, I am wondering if it is possible to set the speed of the wireless on the Eircom D1000 Modem, i play a lot of games online and my girlfriend is constantly streaming music, as you can guess my ping jumps from 50 to 400 when she is on youtube, any help would be great.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Fracture wrote: »
    Hey all,
    As the title says, I am wondering if it is possible to set the speed of the wireless on the Eircom D1000 Modem, i play a lot of games online and my girlfriend is constantly streaming music, as you can guess my ping jumps from 50 to 400 when she is on youtube, any help would be great.

Thanks!

The best advise I can give you is to run cables to anything static like pc's or consoles, leave wireless for mobility only, it will work better this way and your house will be future proofed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

I play games on my pc, so that's connected up from a wire, she uses her laptop from any room she is in, so I can't really connect it up with a wire, is there any programs or anything that will limit her internet speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Fracture wrote: »
    I play games on my pc, so that's connected up from a wire, she uses her laptop from any room she is in, so I can't really connect it up with a wire, is there any programs or anything that will limit her internet speed?

You probably need a better router that does QOS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

get powerline adapter

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You probably need a better router that does QOS

That, or ask her not to use youtube. Using youtube she will consume 10X the bandwidth of a grooveshark stream(free) so you'd probably be fine if she switched to audio only. If that doesnt work get a decent router and set strict QoS.
    get powerline adapter

Wont help at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement