Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 26-01-2014 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Thinking about getting a .204 later on in the year, looking for the low down from people that have one or have used one in the past. Please don't discuss the .204 vrs .223. What make and model are people using ? What price are ye paying for ammo etc. Any info would be great. Thanks in advance RH77

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Lotharmike

Custom Build,have it two years now above all the calibers I have & had my absolute favorite.Cracking little round ,accuracy is second to none.I have found the 40 Grain V Max & 39 Grain Federal Bitzkings to be very similar Performance.It is devastating on game & vermin.Everything I have shot with it at whatever range dropped on the spot.Put good glass on this caliber & shots at considerable distance are not only possible but routine.You will not be disappointed.I traded a Sako 75 in 223 for this & I reckon best decision I made.

20130824_175228_RichtoneHDR_zps95b6a583.jpg

The Z5 is off of it have a Z6i 5-30x50HD on it now.Taking it out in a couple of weeks for the lambing season.
    Forgot to add €31 Blitzkings €25 V Max

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭shoot to kill

Had a .204 before I got the .243 for deer. Shot 200 plus foxes with it. 40 gram v max I think was the round. Wee bit strong for the bunnies. Mine was a ruger mark 2 stainless steel, light barrel, synthetic stock. The more I think about it I'm sorry I sold it! !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

how flat of a round are they? im getting the itch to upgrade

jap gt wrote: »

Less than a inch difference between 100 -200 yards about 3.5-4 inches to 300 Yards from memory.The difference in POI for v max & Fed I found in my rifle was 2 clicks left to right respectively.Fantastic shooting with zero recoil & laser like accuracy.Good bucking the wind as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭silverfox1

Lotharmike wrote: »
    Less than a inch difference between 100 -200 yards about 3.5-4 inches to 300 Yards from memory.The difference in POI for v max & Fed I found in my rifle was 2 clicks left to right respectively.Fantastic shooting with zero recoil & laser like accuracy.Good bucking the wind as well.
    What's the twist in the barrel mike?

• Advertisement

1 in 12 Lothar Walther heavy Bull barrel.And I mean heavy its a monster of a thing.

Some Groups first one walked the line think there is 10 rds in it,second one is the POI difference between V Max & Federal.

20130901_105322_zpsca0d1fc9.jpg

20130901_105240_zps79f4b1ed.jpg

Federal cluster to the right V Max Cluster in the red

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

I had a cz 527 american, lovely accurate rifle with a set trigger, might be still for sale with paul o halloran in drangan, it fired all rounds well except the hornady 45gr sp's, shot the 32 & 40gr vmax well but i used the remington 40gr accutip v's the most, great flat shooting, was paying between 25-27 a box, the 39gr federels shot well but can be hard to get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Custom job here built on a T3 action, Krieger barrel, PSE stock and Nightforce glass. She shoots everything from 32s to 39s and even 40s. Ammo from €24/25/30 for 32/40/39s. Love how flat it shoots and how bunnies are tumbling before the bang. Accuracy is laser-like.
    jchk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I have been shooting 204s since they first came out and think they are a great calibre for vermin control.
    My current rifle is built on a remington action with a 1/10 twist lothar walther varmint barrel and GRS sporter varmint stock.
    My mate was so impressed with the accuracy and lack of recoil of my 204 that he is now trading his 220 swift for one.
    Most factory rifles shoot the 32 and 39 grain bullets accurately but some wont like the 40 grain vmax.
    I have shot 4 different ruger rifles and they all shot great with the 40 grain vmax so they are worth a look if you want to shoot that bullet.
    Another thing to consider is barrel length, The 204 performs best with barrels from 24 to 26 inches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

jap gt wrote: »

The old itch has been driving me mad lately, seen some great videos on YouTube about them.

Lotharmike that's some setup you have there,would be more than likely putting a S&B 8x56 on it.

20130824_175228_RichtoneHDR_zps95b6a583.jpg

lefthooker wrote: »
    Custom job here built on a T3 action, Krieger barrel, PSE stock and Nightforce glass. She shoots everything from 32s to 39s and even 40s. Ammo from €24/25/30 for 32/40/39s. Love how flat it shoots and how bunnies are tumbling before the bang. Accuracy is laser-like.
    jchk.jpg

Fine rig you have there love the action on the T3 smooth as silk. That's what I like to hear that they are flat shooters and laser like.

zeissman wrote: »
    I have been shooting 204s since they first came out and think they are a great calibre for vermin control.
    My current rifle is built on a remington action with a 1/10 twist lothar walther varmint barrel and GRS sporter varmint stock.
    My mate was so impressed with the accuracy and lack of recoil of my 204 that he is now trading his 220 swift for one.
    Most factory rifles shoot the 32 and 39 grain bullets accurately but some wont like the 40 grain vmax.
    I have shot 4 different ruger rifles and they all shot great with the 40 grain vmax so they are worth a look if you want to shoot that bullet.
    Another thing to consider is barrel length, The 204 performs best with barrels from 24 to 26 inches.

Cheers for the input didn't know about the barrel length being a factor may keep that in mind. The more I see and read about them the more I want one. May keep doing my research though and start getting a few prices from my RFD. Thanks for all the input so far lads.

Cheers for the input didn't know about the barrel length being a factor may keep that in mind. The more I see and read about them the more I want one. May keep doing my research though and start getting a few prices from my RFD. Thanks for all the input so far lads.
    I have 2 mates who got their barrels shortened.
    The first got his cut from 26in to 21.5 in and he lost around 280 fps which seems a lot. The other got his cut from 26in to 23in and only lost 100 fps.
    Every rifle is different though and if I was buying a new 204 Id probably choose a 24 in barrel.
    There is some good info on the 204 on www.204ruger.com

zeissman wrote: »
    I have 2 mates who got their barrels shortened.
    The first got his cut from 26in to 21.5 in and he lost around 280 fps which seems a lot. The other got his cut from 26in to 23in and only lost 100 fps.
    Every rifle is different though and if I was buying a new 204 Id probably choose a 24 in barrel.
    There is some good info on the 204 on www.204ruger.com

Going to go for the CZ 527 American when my dealer can get one in for me. He hopes to have one in about 4 to 6 weeks or so. Rang another dealer he said there is none in the supplier at the moment. I know Ardee have lost the contract for Beretta etc just wondering have they lost CZ as well or maybe they are just waiting on a shipment in from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Dian Cecht

Heard/read a bit about this 204. It's a new enough round isn't it? Is there less recoil from a 204 compared to a 223? (I am not a fan of recoil :) )

Going to go for the CZ 527 American when my dealer can get one in for me. He hopes to have one in about 4 to 6 weeks or so. Rang another dealer he said there is none in the supplier at the moment. I know Ardee have lost the contract for Beretta etc just wondering have they lost CZ as well or maybe they are just waiting on a shipment in from them.

ardee are still the importers. I was speaking to a dealer in the north recently who gets cz rifles from Edgar bros and he told me that some cz rifles were hard to get because cz were busy with a large order from the Israeli army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

Dian Cecht wrote: »
    Heard/read a bit about this 204. It's a new enough round isn't it? Is there less recoil from a 204 compared to a 223? (I am not a fan of recoil :) )

recoil wont bother you, the .204 and .223 (moderated) as I shot them are fine. My .223 is heavy though and as is the .204 i shot. They cant be that bad. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Dian Cecht wrote: »

What are ya, a man or a mouse???:pac::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    There's zero recoil from a .204, infact there's more recoil in a spring air rifle than in a .204 or .223.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

Some nice set ups there lads really thinking about swapping out hmr for one but then I'll have to pick a 22 up for bunnys:) and then the ould ball an chain will be looking at me crooked for months:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Dian Cecht

lefthooker wrote: »
    What are ya, a man or a mouse???:pac::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    There's zero recoil from a .204, infact there's more recoil in a spring air rifle than in a .204 or .223.

I'm a mouse *squeak, squeak** :p

I've developed serious arthritis in my right shoulder (among other places) it's seriously affecting what and how much I can shoot without enduring serious discomfort. All part of getting old & wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭nedcbr6

Hi there
    Like the set up Savage rifle
    Hope u don't my me asking how much was it for the custom build ???
    Cheerz

Advertisement