Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work and pregnancy

Options
  • 26-01-2014 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Thanks for taking the time to read need but any advice is greatly apprenticed

so the background is
    I have been working in my job no for 1 and half years i was taken on as a trainee dental nurse. the company is a small private company.
    There is myself another full time nurse and a manager one full time dentist the owner and a part time dentist
    i did this for 2 months 2 days a week with a part time dentist who i loved working with and have a great working relationship with them.
    the 2 months into my boss took me off nursing and gave me accounts and pa work for him to do and they took on a work experience girl to work with the part time dentist.

i spent the most of my time doing the accounts/ i as doing up invoices for 8 other clinics belonging to the boss and sending all this information to the accountant for him to put his stamp on it..
    i was not paid for doing this work just as a trainee dental nurse
    i was also doing the boss's pa work flights accom setting up meetings presentations etc.

i have a very good work ethic. work hard full time Monday to Friday and any extra days needed to cover promotions etc that we ran.

the manager left to go traveling and the work load got increased for myself and the other girl.
    they hired another 2 people who didnt last as they didnt like the working with the boss- he is very difficult and not only belittles you as a person but also never know how he will react to anything. He has no concept of how long things take or how much time is needed to preform a job to standard.
    This caused a lot stress with the work place.

all was going ok till last year a few personal issues happened.
    I moved house moved closer o work and all this was ok until my dad passed away a couple of days later... i was upset and stressed over this and worried about my mum.
    i went to back to work a week later as i felt i needed to keep busy.
    the first week was tough but still got my work done.

over the next week i was asked to be full time nurse with the boss and the accounts would be the accountants job from now on
    so now i was back nursing and still is pa.

i was only ever paid a low wage for being a dental nurse not a pa or accountant.

i made a few small mistakes over the last few weeks and so did the other girl but as she is brown nosing this girl cant do a thing wrong.
    so im on my own as there is only the 3 of us. ( part ime dentist on maternity leave)

i got some really good news after a horrible few months after day that i was pregnant and i told my boss at 10 weeks.

he was shocked and didnt say much.

now the tension is unreal within work and i got a verbal warning the other day for not having enough stock in the room although the stock had arrived he didnt pay attention to any of that part just made it out that i was not concentrating anymore and didnt care about the job anymore etc he brought my dad into it and Friday just gone had a chat about it... where is told me i was not concentrating and follows this by using the line " and now your pregnant" " i dont want to be the d**khead to fire a pregnant girl"

i am so stressed about this and cant stop worrying that i ill have no job in a few weeks if he decided to give me a written warning

i am stressed to the hilt about this as i cant afford to be without job
    im moving home for a couple of months to safe money and its not not good for baby with me being so worked up and worried about each day in work

If he was concenred about my performance surely he could have fired or warned me before but he knows im pregnant now it feels like its all happening after ive said this.

i have 5 months before my maternity leave

any advice?

Thanks a million

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Not to make light of the situation but what you do is stop stressing and just keep going about your work as best you can. Employment law in Ireland is VERY robust is protecting pregnant women and women on maternity leave. There really is very little your employer can do provided you don't play into his hands and give him an excuse - and by this I mean something serious which could be classed as gross misconduct not just a simple mistake.

Congratulations on your news. Don't let yourself stress over this, your employment rights are protected. Just focus on you and the baby and try not to let him get to you.

Advertisement