Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentines Day Ideas

Options
  • 26-01-2014 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi ladies, I had a first date with a girl on January 14th, so Valentines night will kinda be our 1st month together. She is beautiful and classy, but not high maintenance, but I want to book a nice romantic restaurant for Val. night, somewhere not cramped up next to another couple or very noisy etc..She likes the Bodega for a drink so I was thinking maybe the Cornstore? Any suggestions appreciated ladies! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hi scarface, saw your query in LL.

Not sure have you ever been out for dinner on valentines night before, but it can be really grim with set menus and waiting staff who don't want to be there. It's about the least romantic night of the year to go out for me. Would you consider cooking something yourself for her and having a night in with a nice bottle of wine, and maybe a fire instead?

If not, Oysters in the clarion is nice, as is club brasserie. Oysters is the more expensive one. I really don't rate the cornstore at all, i find the food inconsistant, and service wasn't good the last time I was there, but I know some love it.

There is a restaurant recommendation thread sticky at the top of the forum. Take a look through it maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

pwurple wrote: »
    Hi scarface, saw your query in LL.

Not sure have you ever been out for dinner on valentines night before, but it can be really grim with set menus and waiting staff who don't want to be there. It's about the least romantic night of the year to go out for me. Would you consider cooking something yourself for her and having a night in with a nice bottle of wine, and maybe a fire instead?

If not, Oysters in the clarion is nice, as is club brasserie. Oysters is the more expensive one. I really don't rate the cornstore at all, i find the food inconsistant, and service wasn't good the last time I was there, but I know some love it.

There is a restaurant recommendation thread sticky at the top of the forum. Take a look through it maybe.

Well said Pwurple & fair dues to Scarface for the thought behind this....Fenns quay springs to mind as they tend not do go 'commercial' for occasions, - May be booked up, but worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ohh that sounds like a loverly valentines night, nice fire, bottle of wine, either a very nice take out or if you can cook go for it just not spaghetti Bolognese it is too early for that kind of a mess. Maybe some nice crab claws or even oysters if she likes them..

But if you insist on going out I would be the same I think this year was the first one I thought dya know I would like to go out for something. Oysters while I haven't been but will be soon if suppose to be very nice and classy. I was told it had a quite ambience and is rosemantic.. Cornstore I would stay well away from the food is bad for what they charge, the service is rubbish and if you are looking for quite and cozy it will be more jam as many people as you can in there stay well away most defo..

El Vino in the Elysian is quite nice..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I'd second El Vino in the Elysian.

But to be honest, Valentines really is the worst night of the year to take anyone out.......everywhere is always busy and as already mentioned staff aren't always in the best of form from being run off their feet.

Why wait until Feb 14th to take her on a special meal? If you really like her, you can choose any night.....not just Hallmark Day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Myself and my then gf now wife went out years ago on valentines night. It was a dissaster. Slow service and then rushed out the door after dessert. We tried it again a few years later and went to a local chinese that we use for take away, its quite rural and we thought it might be ok. It wasnt. Very slow service again and the waiting staff couldnt cope with a full restaurant. It really put us off.
    We now just usually get a take away and a movie and stay at home and its much nicer.
    The one good valentines we had out was in kinsale. We booked into a nice b&b and had a table booked at a hotels restaurant, think it was the blue haven??. It was expensive, but we were treated well and the food was very good. If i was to do anything again it would be similar. Youll spend more but it will be well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Scarface123

Cheers people, Ive put it to her about the 14th being a bad idea, but she said that she would still rather go out on that night, so what the lady wants, the lady gets :) Now I just have to try and decide on the venue. Now the lady is in no way fussy, or a snobby diner, but I still want it to be nice. After reading many reviews Im drawn towards Greenes and Club Brasserie, ill have to decide something soon and book!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Club Brasserie Greens is too packed and loud

Advertisement