Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

zincs

• 26-01-2014 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

I have a small fibreglass boat and outboard that I intend to use in the sea, will I need to fit zincs to the boat or engine?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Only if you are going to leave the boat in the water, if you are going to trailer it home after each run just wash it down and flush the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭lockmaster

what are zincs ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

lockmaster wrote: »
    what are zincs ?

Oh good, I'm glad someone else doesn't know either!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

what are zincs ?

They are sacrificial anodes made of soft metal that are electrolytically decomposed instead of your engine,prop,rudder or any other metal under the water including the hull if it's made of metal.

On an outboard they look like this.

TEC21102.jpg

And on a hull like this.

standard-4kg-hull-anode-73-p[ekm]300x224[ekm].jpg

If your engine is raw water cooled you would also have them in it.

E-1%20Crusader%20CRU10972-2.jpg%3F1370172295

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

there made of zinc but most people call them anodes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

all I can say is put your phone in double ziplock bag,so when your small boat sinks you can call the coast guard,

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭lockmaster

so in lay man,s terms what are they for ! what do they do do you need they on a fiber glass boat .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

so in lay man,s terms what are they for ! what do they do do you need they on a fiber glass boat .

In simple terms, they stop your engine / prop corroding.

The zinc gets eaten by the salt water rather than the metal in your engine.

They get eaten before any other metal below the water line, fiberglass is fine and your outboard should have it's own that needs to be changed every so often depending on where the boat is some marinas can be very hard on them.
    Here is a new and old one.

anodes%20op%20schip.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Snap... haha. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

all I can say is put your phone in double ziplock bag,so when your small boat sinks you can call the coast guard,

I think the word "if" is more appropriate than "when" but I appreciate the advice.

Advertisement