Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boost wifi signal in house

Options
  • 26-01-2014 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have eircom fibre and wi-fi set up for house. I have router upstairs and signal is not great downstairs, in some ares. Connection drops a lot.

What is the best option to boost signal downstairs?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

Hi,
    I have eircom fibre and wi-fi set up for house. I have router upstairs and signal is not great downstairs, in some ares. Connection drops a lot.

What is the best option to boost signal downstairs?

thanks

Buy some home plugs for downstairs. .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0084Y9N3O/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1390769635&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Lennyzip wrote: »
    Thanks. Does that mean thou I have to use cable for my laptop when I am downstairs and run it to the plug? Would like to stay on wifi?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

Thanks. Does that mean thou I have to use cable for my laptop when I am downstairs and run it to the plug? Would like to stay on wifi?

It works off the principle of using your homes internal wiring to transmit the signal . You would prob have to connect it to the laptop . Maybe use the wifi range extender as suggested here too .

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SuperBunny

If you're the modem Eircom supplied you may want to consider sourcing an alternative which is more suitable to a larger house. You can get these in most electrical stores (careful if you purchase in Curry's though) they supplied it with the UK connections and without adapters for Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The op has efiber so I am nost sure replacements are as widely available as you are suggesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I've tried going the home plug route, but the sockets in the attic are on a different loop to those downstairs, so it didn't do the job. Could I get a second router, and plug that in to the downstairs phone socket, and run two routers off different sockets on the same phone line?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

seagull wrote: »
    I've tried going the home plug route, but the sockets in the attic are on a different loop to those downstairs, so it didn't do the job. Could I get a second router, and plug that in to the downstairs phone socket, and run two routers off different sockets on the same phone line?

Running two routers off the same phone line will not work.

You seemed to indicate in your OP that you just wanted to boost the wifi signal, which is why I linked to a TP-Link wireless extender. This will work even if you have different elec loops, provided that the extender is within range of your wireless router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

A range extender will cut the speed of your wireless network in half. Not much point in having an 802.11n wireless router and then adding a device that cuts it's speed in half. The best option is to run a cat 5 cable and add another wireless access point on a different channel to cover the areas that have poor coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Running cables can be cumbersome and unsightly. Depending on the type of property (e.g. brick/block walls, hardwood floors) this may not be the 'best' solution. Have you tried to move the router to a more 'mid' location in the property?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

The problem is I have an old desktop with no wireless capabilities, so that needs to be plugged into the router, and the home office is up in the attic. I might try moving the router down to the first floor and using the home plug extension up into the attic for the desktop. If that doesn't do the job, I'll probably go in search of a decent router as opposed to what I suspect is a bottom of the range router supplied by vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

degsie wrote: »
    Running cables can be cumbersome and unsightly. Depending on the type of property (e.g. brick/block walls, hardwood floors) this may not be the 'best' solution. Have you tried to move the router to a more 'mid' location in the property?

What I meant by best is the one that is guaranteed to work without problems, a cable does gigabit (1000mbit) full duplex (can send and receive at same time) and therefore is pretty much futureproof. I don't know why people don't put the effort in to cabling their houses, you are going to need it, our needs are skyrocketing, wireless will always be a trade off.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

The problem is I have an old desktop with no wireless capabilities, so that needs to be plugged into the router, and the home office is up in the attic. I might try moving the router down to the first floor and using the home plug extension up into the attic for the desktop. If that doesn't do the job, I'll probably go in search of a decent router as opposed to what I suspect is a bottom of the range router supplied by vodafone.

Try this with your PC to make it wireless;

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1427448/Trail/searchtext%3ETP+LINK.htm

and move the router down to the first floor (signal May not reach up to the attic from ground floor)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭mcw92

I have my wifi router in the Attic, if i run down a Ethernet cable from the router to a new router in another room, will that work yes?
    I would just need to connect to the new router wouldn't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Works for me across all rings/loops and even through a 2nd consumer panel.
    Did you try them within the same ring to ensure they are not faulty ?

Advertisement