Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to buy a suit?

• 26-01-2014 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right forum, so feel free to move this or whatever if necessary.

Basically, I'm looking to pick up a suit for a college ball, and I have no idea where to start looking. (I've done a search on this forum, but I got a bit information overloaded, so sorry if this is considered a repeat thread).

I'm looking for something that isn't too work-suitish, if that makes sense. Ideally, I'd like to spend less than 250 (or even less than 100 if that's possible). I don't care about labels or brands or whatever, I'd just like something that looks nice.

Any suggestions/ideas?

(Any advice on where to get cheapish dress shoes, while I'm here?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Mod

Hi OP and welcome to boards!
    I have moved your thread to this forum as I think you'll get better answers here.

Regards,
    Sauve :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 doriang1

Thanks, Sauve.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Definitely hit up Marks and Spencer, they have a huge suit range. Be sure to take it to a tailor for alterations, there's nothing worse than an ill-fittign suit, regardless of the price of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Yes, M&S are absolutely brilliant and terrific value.

The clerks in Arnotts will also help you try on suits and give generally brilliant advice about all the different brands.

Both those will be about 300-500.

If you want to spend about 800 on a really, really nice suit, Brown Thomas do Paul Smith (regular fit) and Armani (slimmer fit) and also Hugo Boss for about 650 for the older, erring on larger build gentleman.

God I love suits. Currently looking at Institchu.co.uk for a tailored wool suit. Drool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

If you want a "cheap" suit - M&S do have some good ones within your price range, it might also be worth checking out Zara - I've bought suits there before and they fit and last well - they also do basic alterations in-store (for a fee)

Not sure where you're based, but i would recommend the Menswear section of House of Fraser, ahead of Arnotts - again with the sales on there's some good prices, but probably still more than you want to spend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭miss-p

My brother got a nice slim fit suit last year in penneys, and it was definitely less than €100....the suit is perfect for college balls, not too expensive that you've to worry about the blazer getting lifted or anything like that. Would recommend you get two pairs of trousers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 doriang1

Thanks! That gives me a lot to work with. I've heard M&S and Penneys mentioned a bit, so I'll give them both a whirl anyway. Unfortunately, the Brown Thomas suits are a bit pricey at the moment. ;)

Probably should have mentioned I'm going to be doing my shopping in Dublin.

Just on the shoes, I've heard people talk about wearing Cons to things like this. Is that an okay thing to do, or is it a bit naff? I'm going to have to pick up a pair of shoes either way, so would I be better of going with a pair of proper dress shoes?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Cons. No. I beg of you :p You will look a thousand times better in a slick suit, nice shoes & tie. If you want your own flair go for a pocket square and socks in a complimentary colour or pattern. On that note ensure you're well groomed too, clean shaven or tidy facial hair and tidy hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭miss-p

I know some people do wear cons with suits, and I think it's a bit of a hipster look. I think it can look a bit scruffy too and I defo prefer a nice pair of shoes. Shoes definitely look more suave. If you want to do a more trendy suit Topman do 'on trend' suits and smart shoes, so it could even be an idea to have a look at how they're styling the suits for some ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Topman sometimes have some nice fitting suits at fair prices.

• Advertisement
Advertisement