Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Debit Point of Sale Transaction limit

Options
  • 26-01-2014 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

Hi

A simple question that I can not find an answer to. We are doing up the house at the moment and need to purchase a few large items in local stores. We don't have a cheque book. 

Is there a limit on the visa debit card for in store transactions. Say on items costing around 2500??
    Or are in store / point of sale transactions simply limited by how much cash is in the account?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi PixelTrawler[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thank you for your post.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]There is no limit on a point of sale, phone or online transaction you make with your Visa Debit Card providing you have cleared funds in your bank account.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]However, retailers may have their own limits, it will be best to check with the retailer first before making the transaction.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]If you have any further questions please ask. We are happy to help.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Alison[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I'll ask the retailers then at the time. Thanks for the reply. 

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭rednoggin

Hi Alison,

Is this also true if making a purchase in Northern Ireland using an Irish debit card. I'm buying a car and the handiest way is for me to use my debit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi rednoggin,

Thanks for getting in contact with us.

Yes, this is the same case when using your card in Northern Ireland. However we would also suggest that whenever you use your card outside of the Republic of Ireland that you notify us of you intended use.

You can do this by contacting your branch, or alternatively if you are registered for Bank of Ireland 365, please call 0818 365 365 / 00353 1404 4000 and a representative will be happy to note your account.

We wish you the best of luck with your new car.

Thanks,
    Elaine

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭rednoggin

Thanks Elaine,

Much Appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Danierass

Hi guys this seems to answer my question but id still like to make sure before i go ahead with my purchase
    Im about to buy a car and pay a deposit of 5000e by visa depit to registered dealer
    My question is will this transaction be clompleted without any hassle ?
    I was told by member of sales team to double check if the bank will allow transaction in full as he said some banks may limit transactions to certain ammount ,thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi Danierass,

Thanks for your post here on Boards.

There would be no limit on the card once the funds on your account are clear.

If your going to use the card for a purchase outside of the Republic I would advise that you leave a note on your account.

You can do this by going to the online service desk and add travel notification.

I am aware that you may not be travelling but even if you are going up North to buy a car our security team will be able to see this on your account when they are monitoring your transactions.

Thanks,

Kareana  

Advertisement