Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inse Bay, Laytown

Options
  • 26-01-2014 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My family were thinking of moving to Laytown and have seen some houses for rent in Inse Bay. The rental prices are fairly standard so just want to know if anyone knows what Inse Bay is like to live in? Have a young son and daughter, generally keep to ourselves and would like somewhere quiet to live.

Any opinions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Meath08

Hi, I lived there for a few years until just a few months ago. We never had any problems and found it very quiet. There are loads of other families with young kids. A short walk and you're at the beach. The Laytown end of the beach is lovely and quiet for walks, kids playing, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭beardo81

Thanks Meath, are the houses there warm/well built? Living in a new enough house at the moment but walls are like cardboard. Living near the sea is a big draw though

beardo81 wrote: »
    Thanks Meath, are the houses there warm/well built? Living in a new enough house at the moment but walls are like cardboard. Living near the sea is a big draw though

The houses are typical of houses built in during the Celtic tiger years. We could hear our neighbours tv sometimes and at night could even hear snoring at times but overall it wasn't bad. You can definitely expect to hear the neighbours but how much will depend on the type of people they are ie abnormally loud or average noise levels.

We never had any problems keeping the house warm although we always knew if there was an easterly wind as it'd be cooler with the wind blasting through the vents. We'd block the vents temporarily if the wind became too cold.

Being so close to the sea is fab for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭beardo81

Thanks for your help Meath08, very much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mnoise

Hi there,

I'm moving to Inse Bay this month, very excited. :)

My question is, what is the best way to commute to Dublin city centre (I work in St Stephen's Green). Is it better to take the train or Matthews coach? What's your experience with both?
    I know that Matthews would only take me as far as Parnell street which is still a good bit away from where I work but then again it will probably take me just as long as walking from Pearse station... (I'd prefer to walk rather than take another bus)

Another question: any good pubs or restaurants in the area you could recommend? :)

Thanks!
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 mnoise

Ooohn, nearly forgot one more very important thing: how's the internet in Laytown? Which provider would you recommend? Ta!

mnoise wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm moving to Inse Bay this month, very excited. :)

My question is, what is the best way to commute to Dublin city centre (I work in St Stephen's Green). Is it better to take the train or Matthews coach? What's your experience with both?
    I know that Matthews would only take me as far as Parnell street which is still a good bit away from where I work but then again it will probably take me just as long as walking from Pearse station... (I'd prefer to walk rather than take another bus)

Another question: any good pubs or restaurants in the area you could recommend? :)

Thanks!
    M

Hi

I only ever drove to work in Dublin as the bus or train service didn't go near enough to my office. What I have heard from others is that you are guaranteed to be standing on the train which I understand is very busy both ways. On the other hand, you'd have a seat on the Matthews coach which I've always found to be very reliable. Additionally the bus stops outside the estate as opposed to the longer walk or drive to/from the station.

Choice of pubs is quite a personal thing I find. I like Gilna's in Laytown but there are others to choose from in both Laytown and Bettystown all of which are within walking distance. The Laytown pubs will be a shorter walk of course but not by a huge amount.

Delfino Bay above Gilna's is nice - pizzas, pasta, steaks, fish. Relish Cafe in Bettystown is good, Chan's for Chinese and then a whole host of restaurants to choose from in nearby Drogheda. The Eastern Seaboard & Grill is a particular favourite.

We had our broadband with Eircom and didn't have any particular issues.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Droghead

Matthews coaches stops outside the estate, a seat, free wifi and the walk to St Stephen's green isnt that far...

We have our broadband with Eircom and happy with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Matthews coach - cheaper than the train and you get a seat. You can get an annual tax saver ticket or use Leap Card on them. My wife works in Leeson Street and she swapped from the train to the bus.

The UCD service (which goes just after 7) would get you to Stephens Green before 9.

Failing that, get off in Parnell Street and hop on a Dublin bike, or in a few years you'll be able to hop on a Luas to take you that way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

We are strongly considering putting a bid on a house in Laytown and I trying trying to way up the pros and cons. We'd be commuting to Dublin each morning and for the first few months it will be by public transport

I'm just looking for a little feedback.

Inse Bay looks to be a very well kept put lack of local facilities and huge amount of children in the area would worry me a little especially in a few years when these kids are teenagers. I'm a little concerned about future anti social behavior.

The plus side for us is that we could buy a nice house at a very affordable price and not have a huge mortgage although the houses show signs of being built in the boom!.

What are the 3 pubs like in Laytown as I am trying to figure out the social aspect of the area. The housing estate on the left just as you come into Laytown looks a bit dodgy. Apologies if people think I am taking a dig at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 sanny82

Jawgap wrote: »
    Matthews coach - cheaper than the train and you get a seat. You can get an annual tax saver ticket or use Leap Card on them. My wife works in Leeson Street and she swapped from the train to the bus.

The UCD service (which goes just after 7) would get you to Stephens Green before 9.

Failing that, get off in Parnell Street and hop on a Dublin bike, or in a few years you'll be able to hop on a Luas to take you that way!!

just checking, are you saying that the bus nearly takes 2 hours from Bettystowns to St.Stephens Green?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

sanny82 wrote: »
    just checking, are you saying that the bus nearly takes 2 hours from Bettystowns to St.Stephens Green?

It would get you there a good bot before 9!

IIRC it gets to Leeson St about 8-15 / 8-20.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

That UCD bus hits Parnell at 8am, around 50mins from Laytown to city.

Gilna's pub nearest the train station is decent spot, nice for few scoops. The restaurant above it is casual but apparently decent grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kheed

beardo81 wrote: »
    Hi,

My family were thinking of moving to Laytown and have seen some houses for rent in Inse Bay. The rental prices are fairly standard so just want to know if anyone knows what Inse Bay is like to live in? Have a young son and daughter, generally keep to ourselves and would like somewhere quiet to live.

Any opinions?

Thanks.

I bought a house in Inse Bay about seven months ago. I am from dublin and ideally would have bought there but our limited budget and the rising prices in Dublin left us limited options. We found a house that was within our budget and we are delighted with it. Here are my thoughts of the area so far, it's just my wife and I, we have no kids.

Pros:
    The beach, sea views from our house, walks in the evening with the dog! I know the novelty may wear off but I have always wanted to live close to the sea so its a big thing for me, may not be important to others.
    Our neighbours are great, very friendly, but not overly so! Anyone I have met in passing in the estate and around the area have been very friendly.
    The estate is quiet, plenty of children about but I've seen no hassle.
    The estate is well maintained, residents association keep it clean and tidy.
    Quite close to retail park in drogheda (harvey norman/tk maxx/ LIDl Aldi etc)
    Some nice pubs. Gilnas in laytown and Morans in Mornington.
    decent chinese takeaways in bettystown and takeaways from drogheda will deliver.
    Decent enough Gym in bettystown, I checked it out, haven't joined yet but when funds allow I intend to use it. Will keep running on the beach while weather allows.
    Decent Tesco in bettystown and great butcher and hardware beside it.
    Decent choice for services like bins/gas/electricity so you can shop around for value.

Cons:
    Can be very quiet, re Pubs/restaurants/nightlife but a trip to drogheda is not a lot in a taxi. Suits us, but I do miss the Dublin gigs/restaurants sometimes

The Commute. No getting away from it. Its a bitch. I drive to work in sandyford and it takes 50 minutes when not in rush hour which is not too bad. Getting to city centre in the mornings though takes a good hour and a half + , My wife has tried the trains and matthews bus. Train is nicer, but Much more expensive (unless you get taxsaver year ticket) The Matthews bus takes Leap card and gets you to parnell st in about 70 minutes. Less with no traffic. a big problem is frequency, if you miss one you can be very very late for work. The cost of commute in time and money is the biggest drawback for us for sure. I had to invest in a new diesel car as the petrol was being guzzled!

Cats: Inse bay is full of cats, which keep ****ting in my garden and couple times I caught one coming in to my house. (if you like cats, this may be a pro rather than a con) little feckers!

Mobile phone signal can be a bit dodgy. We are on O2 and it can be intermittant at home.

UPC do not provide internet or digital tv in the area. I hate sky TV and their broadband is awful. I opted for Eircom broadband and have found it great (such a relief) I decided to get my tv service from eircom too (eVision) as part of a bundle, its cheap but pretty poor. I use the net more than watch tv so Im not too bothered. The wife is having some TV channel withdrawls though. I reckon the best option would be eircom for broadband and Sky for TV, I just wont give sky my money. But thats another thread...

Hope this is of some help, like I said we have no children so I cannot comment on the schools etc but they do have a good reputation. If there is anything else you want to ask me fire away!

Advertisement