Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part 2: Trying to get time to train

• 27-01-2014 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

So 2014 season is around the corner. Time to get things moving.

Started training properly last week. Got 4 swims done (1k per session) and got 4 run's done also.

I've decided to enter the world of clipless pedals but I couldn't get one of the old pedals off so my inaugural spin is put on hold.

Hoping to do Nass duathlon in February or March and then Portlaoise and see which races after that

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

1,200 meter swim

Didn't have to long at lunch and the boss was away so headed to the pool. Had no structure in mind so I just said I would swim for as long as I could and see how much I would get done got the idea from Oryx log the other day.

Managed 900 meters in 19 minutes, first 40 lengths were great I have never felt as strong as I did today everything seemed to be going right stroke and body position were okay. Last 10 were a real struggle everything I had done right for the first 40 went out the window and I was taking on more water then moby dick but I finished.

After a short break did another 10 lengths with a fast one every second length.

Finished it off with a slow 6.

I know I can get that 19 minutes down to around 15 or 16 minutes before April. When I look back at this time last year when I could hardly swim a length without dying so at least there is an improvement on the swimming just need to work on bike and run

30 minute run

Headed into the field for this. Looked to be in good condition until I reached the first corner and I got stuck in the mud and nearly lost my runner. Finished it off out on the road.

750 meter swim
    Broke it up into 2 sets of 20. Shoulders are sore after yesterday so didn't want to do to much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Welcome back!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

You better get those times down if you want to avoid a lashing on the mic in Portlaoise ( if i'm involved ).

Those times will be well down by then.

• Advertisement

Lovely weather today for a run. Managed to get 5k done in 24 minutes didn't really push to hard but was tired all the same when I finished. Was hoping to head for a swim after work but I have been struck with a head cold. Hopefully it will be gone by tomorrow and I will get a swim done

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I've decided to enter the world of clipless pedals but I couldn't get one of the old pedals off so my inaugural spin is put on hold.

you may have this sorted, but just in case, you know the two pedals tighten in different directions?

Thanks Mossym youtube had told me that alright for some reason it seemed to be stuck. Eventually got the right tool and sorted it out.

Now I have to master how to unclip without dislocating my knee

While messing about on Saturday morning clipping in and out I actually did manage to twist my knee. I have since found out that you can loosen the tension on the pedals. So Saturday there was no training done with the pain.

Knee not too bad today, still not 100% confident with those pedals so decided against hitting the road and used the turbo instead. Downloaded my first sufferfest video and suffer I did. 45 minutes of pain going to do the full video tomorrow and try and get a run done also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭joey100

Don't know if it will make a difference Dave, probably still be twisting your knee a bit but when I'm unclipping i try and push my heel out from the pedal. More of a foot twist than a whole leg twist. It will get easier to unclip as the pedal loosens and the cleats wear a bit.

• Advertisement

Thanks Joey. That's exactly what I'm doing (twisting my whole leg) I will try what you suggested hopefully it will work

Usually Tuesday's are double days but the wife is starting a course so I will be on daddy duties earlier. So need to have another look at my weekly plan

6k run started off in the field but made a quick exit I reckon the wetsuit would have come in handy. Nice easy run with a couple of small inclines fitness is coming along slowly.

Just about to enter Portlaoise tri but they ask for projected swim time I'm not quiet sure what to enter. My last swim time for a sprint (river) was 12 minutes but would it be slower or faster in a lane with other people?

5k run (am)

Nice easy run to start the day. Legs felt bit tired after yesterday so just took it handy. Plan is to up the run each week.

750 meter swim

Needed to get a time done so I could enter it for the triathlon. Managed to finish it in 14.30 now I know its slower then last year but I have 8 weeks to work on it. I should have it down to 13 minutes before the day. It felt very comfortable today so I'm not panicking I know with a bit of effort I should be able to knock out a quicker time

Re: clipping out....as Joey said, try and kick that heel out. As my bike shop guy told me when I was learning, think of it like you are squishing a bug with your foot. :D

Re: swim time....if the river swim was assisted by a nice current, then that 12 minutes might be fast. Sounds like 13:xx might be more realistic based on your current 750 m time. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

also, river swim was in a wetsuit presumably. that'll have a serious affect on time

Going to hop on the turbo tomorrow evening I will give your suggestion a try. God knows I'm good at killing bugs especially with my wife around.
    Yeah I suppose the wetsuit would have played a big part alright. 13 would be a more realistic time, that's the aim so if I can manage that I will be in the top 60 or 70 according to last years result. Now I need to work on my speed.

5k run

Lovely day, shame I didn't dress for it. Half way around I thought I was going to have to strip off bloody leg warmers

750 meter swim

I was hoping to do more but I was just to tired. The little man is starting to teeth so we missed out on a couple of hours sleep last night plus shoulder were a bit tight after yesterday

Sunday

Spent 45 minutes on the turbo. Tough workout with plenty of speed work.

Did the same today as I am determined to master this clipping in and out its getting better but still not confident enough to head out on the road

Not a great day for it. Headed out at lunch just as I was walking out the door the snow started and no way was I heading back in without a run done what's a bit of snow.

5k @ 5.26 pace

Turns out the snow was grand and refreshing but the cold was something else, my knees felt like they were going to shatter in pieces. Very enjoyable run.

5k @ 5.45

Not a great day but there was a brief break in the bad weather at lunch so threw the gear on and headed for the roads as soon as I opened the front door the wind and rain started again. Feck that I had my gear on I was going out regardless.

Nice easy run until I reached an open space and the crosswinds nearly killed me could not seem to catch my breath. The big man must have been looking down on me because two hours later this happened exactly where I passed at lunchtime
    BgSQza0IcAEWdO1.jpg

Whoa.....scary scene. You were lucky!!! :eek:

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Whoa.....scary scene. You were lucky!!! :eek:

Very lucky. The tree did hit one family in their car but thankfully they were just thrown sideways could have been devastating there was a 13 week old baby in the back.

• Advertisement

After waiting most of the morning for the snow to melt finally got out the door near lunch, lovely crisp day.

5.5k @5.21 pace

Took it nice and easy legs were sore after the 3 previous days. Even with the heavy legs it was my best run of the week. Nice and controlled felt fairly fresh when finished. Took the week of swimming mixture of busy work week and busy house meant needed to get home early most days. Will be back doing double days from Monday

Dealing with a bit of a sore back this week. Just did two 1 hour turbo session on Monday and Tuesday

Did 5k run @5.35 pace today

Felt like I was going much quicker but the legs were heavy, everytime I put the right foot down I get a small twinge in my back its not that bad but its enough to know its there.

Quick 6k at lunch

When I say quick I'm not actually sure what time as I forgot my watch. First 3k were grand nice and easy that all changed when I hit the headwind for the next 1km tough going. Finished it off with a gentle jog.
    Legs are very heavy just wondering as anyone any opinion's on using chocolate milk as a recovery drink? Very tired this evening

Not sure what the folks in the know around here think, but I love chocolate milk as a recovery drink! I've even been in a marathon or two that passed them out post race for just that purpose. Yummy!!! :D

Didn't get a chance to update this in a while. Spent last week concentrating on running getting in 5 runs done trying to build up the miles. Getting back slowly, drinking the chocolate milk is really helping

Back in the pool today for the first time in 2 weeks
    1200 meters:
    750 meters in 13.30/14.00 minutes felt great probably could have pushed a bit harder at the start.
    360 meters concentrating on stroke and leaving it there a fraction longer and getting my stroke count down.
    Finished it off with a couple of backstroke lengths which is not my best, ended up with a nice bump on my head to prove it

4k lunchtime run.

Good run really starting to feel good about running again. Probably ran the quickest I have for a while but off course I forgot my watch.

Brick session in the evening

1k swim followed by 4k run

Swim was good even thought there were loads in the pool some people have no problem with just cutting in our your lane. Quick towel down and hit the roads, Not to bad at the start felt fairly fresh but then I hit the hills and the legs started to feel heavy after the earlier run. Still had plenty left in the tank when I finished and could have pushed on and done another bit if needed.

Good days training

Advertisement