Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Helmet Speakers

• 27-01-2014 12:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

I've decided to get some helmet speakers, mostly for listening to music but of course they'd also be very handy for navigation and taking calls. It would be a whole lot easier than messing around with my in-ear headphones, and probably safer too.

I have a Shark Vision-R helmet so the obvious choice is their Sharktooth system. Cheapest I've found is at fc-moto.de for 200 euro.

Anybody have one of these? Or recommend anything else? Any audiophiles out there that know of something that'd produce decent sound quality?

I suppose the Shark system would be tidier and more compact than other brands as the helmet is designed to accommodate it, which is why I'm leaning towards this one.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I see the Sena SMH10R looks very similar to the Sharktooth system. I wonder if it can take advantage of the Vision-R's design and have the battery pack inside the back of the helmet. It's €176 at fc-moto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Check out the Cardio G9 powerset or G4 if you want the lower spec kit. I have a set of G9's and they work very well in paired communication and you can use them on the mobile phones with the bluetooth and the radio is on them aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I've had a cardo scala rider stereo bluetooth headset for years (I'd say 10) and they have only recently started acting up(theres a loose wire in there somewhere). Although expensive, if you get that amount of time out of them it represents good value. (these were on me when for 9hrs a day, 5 days a week for 7 years when I was couriering)
    If you want to keep the cost down you can bodge yourself a pair of headphone speakers from a pair of cheepo headphones, but bear in mind you will have to constantly adjust the volume, with the scala it gets louder the faster you go.

This sort of a hack for cheapness

I'm sure you do a blutooth hack too

Edit : with regards the sound quality from the scala, its cack, you'd be better off dismantlingand and integrated a pair of headphones to get a decent sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

cardo scala rider stereo bluetooth headset

Had this too and lasted ages. Sound was a decent quality. Same as Skill, I had them on 8-9 hrs a day, 5 days a week. Very resilient.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Simon300

I have the Scala rider Q3 and it's a decent bit of kit. Only really use it for the intercom when the missus is on the back or on her own bike, but it connects to your phone and plays music, gives gps directions etc. Has built in radio aswell. The speakers that go in the helmet are ok, but I don't think they're good enough. Sound can be a little distorted, so I use a set of apple earphones as the device has a 3.5mm jack on it to plug in headphones etc. Not in to the whole listening to music thing while riding but it's pretty good if you're interested in that.

Also it's a universal fit so if you change lid it's not gonna affect you. If you one specifically for a helmet brand you're limiting yourself to replacing you're lid next time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I did the DIY hack, bought a pair of good sony headphones and stripped them down then rewired them and integrated them into the fabric of the helmet. Sound quality is unbelievable and at the right level you can still hear whats happening around you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I use earphones plugged into ipod in my jacket pocket with a remote on the handlebars so I can play/pause/change volume etc.

Even when volume is low or off the ear phones deflect some of the wind noise. Plus when i'm on the bike I don't want to be taking phone calls, feck that. I've an excuse to be unreachable to work or home when i'm on the bike and it's going to stay that way!

Advertisement