Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutering

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

An x-Ray is normally employed to identify an underlying problem and would be seen as a necessary procedure.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    The above sound like you think all dogs should be neutered or spayed because of the risk of being stollen. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one.

Are your rescue dogs neutered and spayed when they are brought in immediately to reduce the risk of being robbed? Or when they are about to be adopted?

You're missing my point bullseye. The point is that although everyone thinks they're responsible owners, and even people who are responsible owners, can still make mistakes, which the dog pays for. As does the adopter. As do I.

I have enough to be getting on with than to be worrying, for instance
    1) if an entire dog that I adopted out will be stolen, never to be recovered
    2) if an entire dog that I adopted out escaped from his owner by accident, was picked up by a person who then decided to keep it for breeding
    3) If the person who came across as extremely responsible decided they wanted to give their entire dog away to someone who would use it for breeding (in my early days, I fostered out a young female to someone who came with great credentials... she gave the dog away to a breeder. I never saw that dog again. Long story. Not going into any more details here)
    4) I know quite a few very responsible, nice, kind dog owners who would think nothing of using their lovely pedigree rescue dog to breed from.
    5) I get at least one email per week from a very nice person asking can they adopt a dog to breed with their dog of the same breed. If these people were a little smarter about it, they could utterly hoodwink me or any other rescue that they had no intention of breeding. I'll bet that once they're turned down by me, they move on to the next rescue, but aren't quite as honest next time around. So, what if I get one of these en-smartened people? I would never know.
    6) Unspayed bitches have a good chance of developing health problems
    7) Unspayed bitches are hard work. Dogs that are hard work are more likely to be dumped/got rid of.
    8) Male dogs over 1-3 years old, once fully mature and depending on the breed, are also at risk of developing conditions which are just as unpleasant and likely as any health problems they might develop from being neutered.
    8) Many of my adopters already have another dog or dogs. A large chunk of these have one dog that is not neutered. They may have decided not to, or the dog may not be healthy enough to be neutered. Do I put a dog in of the opposite sex in this case? You must be joking.
    9) If another home has a neutered male, and I place an unspayed female with them, I am going to make life a misery for their neutered dog, many of whom get very frustrated when female hormones are up close-and-personal to them.

So, these area few reasons why I prefer to neuter the dogs I'm giving out to almost-strangers. Like I say, if you're prepared to live with the consequences of things going pear-shaped due to rehoming entire dogs to almost-strangers, go right ahead. Good luck to you. It is of little consequence to me if an occasional person disagrees with me... they don't have to carry the same burden as me or others who try to protect their dogs as best they can. I don't believe that being neutered has caused one single drawback to any of the hundreds of dogs I have rehomed. Au contraire, any dogs I've taken in with problems in the genital department were dogs that were dying with pyometra, in pain with metritis, in diabolical pain with retained testicles, had cancer due to retained testicles, had prostate problems which were sorted out via neutering etc etc.

Edited to add: to answer your question about when dogs are neutered: in most cases, they are given a couple of days to settle in, then neutered. Then given a week to recover before they're rehomed. I don't run a kennels personally, all dogs are in foster care or in a small, private, fort-knox-type, indoor establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fiounnalbe

OP, please do let us know what actually killed the dog during this surgery if it wasn't the anesthesia, or else I'm finding this thread very hard to believe.

I have seen neuterings being done, one tiny cut into the skin and then yes there are two vessels to ligate, but very small ones....with my friends dog they discovered while neutering he had a blood clotting disorder, even with a bad blood clotting disorder he didn't bleed out since the incisions are so small in this procedure and its a very visible area for the vet to tie bleedings off, unlike in the body cavity.

I literally can't think of any reason that the dog could have died during a neutering besides anesthesia. Females yes, but males...:confused:

Okay all,
    Can I ask that we don't seek more info from the OP in relation to cause of death, as having chatted with the OP by PM, it's clear that the matter is very fragile at the moment.
    The OP is, understandably, terribly upset, and may not be as clear-headed as they might usually be when posting info here, so I'll ask that all of us (yes, me included :o) back off a bit and take it as read that the story is genuine, and as the OP has explained, the dog did not die under anaesthetic. The OP may at some stage be able to tell us more, but not now.
    I'll leave the thread open to keep the bit of discussion going, but will close it if it goes off the rails.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    An x-Ray is normally employed to identify an underlying problem and would be seen as a necessary procedure.

You're missing my point to make your own. The dog could have been in for any procedure and had this happen. We all get that neutering is optional but the dog probably had some underlying condition so any procedure could have had that same outcome. The thread is scaremongering against neutering when the OP hasn't even stated what the dog actually died from or any info other than it was getting "it's bit's removed". What breed was it? What explanation did the vet give? The OP hasn't actually given any information.

• Advertisement

Thread closed at OP's request

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement