Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE Royal Rumble PPV 2014 Live Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

But thats rubbish, its a huge **** you to everyone else. He came back last week and now hes going straight to Wrestlemania. They ignore Bryan who is one of the most over wrestlers since SCSA, its bs.

I hope every crowd from here on in just burys Batista matches.

in all fairness its not the first time its happened, rock came back headlined wrestlemania, came back again headlined wrestlemania! Bryan is great i agree, but hes in our face the last 12 months if they overuse him he'll become stale like early ziggler/miz etc.....im hoping for batista - lesner for WM tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought it was a very good Rumble but the crowd contributed to it being an anti-climax. They were very hard on the finish and just shat all over it.

Honestly I agree with them in the sense that it could have been booked better but the reaction imo was OTT.

I do think it's dumb that Bryan lost to Bray and then didn't feature in the Rumble. If he was losing to Bray he could have appeared later and the authority could have got some way to eliminate him. This is the second year in a row, though, that WWE have gone with a plan they've had for months and had the hardcore element reject it. Vince I'd say is seething!

I'm not as anti-Batista as some are but you'd have to say Batista's stock has fallen dramatically after tonight.

I thought the opening match was outstanding. Everything that makes wrestling worthwhile was showcased in that match and it's the kind of match you'd unashamedly show your non-wrestling friends. Lesnar-Show delivered the way it should. Cena-Orton was good as well despite the fans hijacking the match with their reactions. Rumble was good up until the massive anti-climax.

Very weird show to judge all round. Will be one that's discussed and argued about for a good while me thinks.

Overall I would give it a thumbs up but the finish was a real hammer blow to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

SteveWold wrote: »
    Crowd didn't prove anything and wont change anything (Vince already had their money!) they just came across as smarky knobheads like the post Mania crowd always does.

They wanted Bryan the most over person in the company, they spent money and they voiced their displeasure, they have not done anything wrong.

Ugh and its more than smarks who just like Bryan by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

I don't understand the love for Bryan?? He's average at best.

Gtfo

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Me_Grapes

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gXmjk46OGdU

A rematch of this for the main event of mania XxX? Isn't this supposed to be the biggest mania ever or summat?

I hope it gets the reaction it deserves come the day.....not boos, that would be giving it creedence it does not deserve. Id much prefer to hear crickets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Ric Flair was my man of the night, even moreso than Hacksaw spoiling Ziggler's return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

in all fairness its not the first time its happened, rock came back headlined wrestlemania, came back again headlined wrestlemania! Bryan is great i agree, but hes in our face the last 12 months if they overuse him he'll become stale like early ziggler/miz etc.....im hoping for batista - lesner for WM tho.

I know he did, but it wasn't back one week then bam headline wrestlemania 6 days later. There is a difference as well, the Rock is the Rock. Wrestling fans everywhere will love him and will always do so, we were delighted to see him at wrestlemania but this is Batista, he doesn't deserve to be thrown straight into the rumble and win it. It is a huge kick in the face to Daniel Bryan, the reactions hes gotten for over a year now mean nothing, unless hes getting to face Undertaker they're ****ing him over for no good reason

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

I feel for Mick Foley's telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

After watch the rumble I can't see why people think that wwe is the best company. I am not going to say that I hate it but I think that TNA is just as good and if people gave it a chance they might be surprised. I am lucky that I did not pay to watch it. I was also watching TNA impact wrestling on Challenge tonight and it had a lot better matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SteveWold

Rjd2 wrote: »
    They wanted Bryan the most over person in the company, they spent money and they voiced their displeasure, they have not done anything wrong.

Ugh and its more than smarks who just like Bryan by the way.

Never said it was only those who like him.

But the lad I replied to said that the overly 'smart' crowd acting like stereotypical smarks tonight,****ting over most of the WWE title match and Rumble finish will force change and magically make Vince push their favourites when we all know that it definitely will not,because they make up a small % of WWE's audience and most of them will continue watching no matter who WWE pushes anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Lies make Baby Jesus cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

The Rock is one of the biggest movie stars on the planet. He was one of the biggest WWE wrestlers of all time. Unquestionably either the biggest or 2nd biggest star of his era.

Batista has done literally nothing except get cast in a lower-key Marvel movie and have a failed try at MMA. Batista arguably wasn't even in the top 5 stars of the era in which he wrestled if you count HHH, Michaels, Cena, Undertaker, Edge. Plus he isn't likable, which helps.

That's the difference. That's why Batista and the Rock are two completely different scenarios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I'm just putting this out there... If Bryan wasn't gonna win the Rumble, then his absence will get him over far more than a non winning appearance. WWE were probably banking on this backlash to further the story,

lets just wait and see where this goes guys ok....?

.....guys?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Hunter?

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Was hoping for Goldberg, then realised he's probably about 50. :(

I know he did, but it wasn't back one week then bam headline wrestlemania 6 days later. There is a difference as well, the Rock is the Rock. Wrestling fans everywhere will love him and will always do so, we were delighted to see him at wrestlemania but this is Batista, he doesn't deserve to be thrown straight into the rumble and win it. It is a huge kick in the face to Daniel Bryan, the reactions hes gotten for over a year now mean nothing, unless hes getting to face Undertaker they're ****ing him over for no good reason

hey im as big a fan of the rock as anyone else dont get me wrong, but batista is no bum, hes a 6 time world champion.....the fact neither bray nor daniel were involved in the rumble suggest they have storylines already planned for these superstars. I just have seen enough of daniel bryan in the last year .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

i dont get all the Bryan love either:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

D.Q. wrote:
    I'm just putting this out there... If Bryan wasn't gonna win the Rumble, then his absence will get him over far more than a non winning appearance. WWE were probably banking on this backlash to further the story,

lets just wait and see where this goes guys ok....?

.....guys?

Well they love getting attention but I don't think that was the case here. They wouldn't have wanted Batista exposed the way he was tonight. When he came back last week on Raw he was a star. After tonight he is a reject. After all the weeks of build and the money they are no doubt backing him with I'd say Vince is seriously pissed off.

Sad thing is this is the type of situation that could see Vince bury Bryan more. Look at what happened to Ryder (not that I cared about that because I never liked him in all honesty). Also how they messed around Punk in the early years for their own political reasons.

Vince won't be compelled into supporting Bryan and I don't think he has a problem putting his own ego before financial incentive. Look how the WCW guys were treated during the Alliance days. Didn't make financial sense but Vince didn't mind backing his own ideas.

I do think as I said before that the fan reaction was OTT. I don't think anyone comes out of this too good except Bryan, but he may pay a heavy price for the fallout from the show.

It will be fascinating to observe the fallout from this.

One thing I forgot to say earlier: I'm pretty disappointed in the lack of surprise return. Was good to see Sheamus back. Nash - meh. Was hoping for Jake and I really thought Y2J would be in it. Ah well.

hey im as big a fan of the rock as anyone else dont get me wrong, but batista is no bum, hes a 6 time world champion.....the fact neither bray nor daniel were involved in the rumble suggest they have storylines already planned for these superstars. I just have seen enough of daniel bryan in the last year .

batista did nothing of note until the last few months before he left. They brought him back as the bland face, no interest in that.

Well they love getting attention but I don't think that was the case here. They wouldn't have wanted Batista exposed the way he was tonight. When he came back last week on Raw he was a star. After tonight he is a reject. After all the weeks of build and the money they are no doubt backing him with I'd say Vince is seriously pissed off.

Sad thing is this is the type of situation that could see Vince bury Bryan more. Look at what happened to Ryder (not that I cared about that because I never liked him in all honesty). Also how they messed around Punk in the early years for their own political reasons.

Vince won't be compelled into supporting Bryan and I don't think he has a problem putting his own ego before financial incentive. Look how the WCW guys were treated during the Alliance days. Didn't make financial sense but Vince didn't mind backing his own ideas.

I do think as I said before that the fan reaction was OTT. I don't think anyone comes out of this too good except Bryan, but he may pay a heavy price for the fallout from the show.

Maybe they didnt want batista exposed, but Bryan has already tweeted about it saying the Machine didnt want me near the Rumble, so they seem to be playing it as an angle as opposed to just ignoring it.

Certainly was a very interesting spectacle. Never seen a crowd revolt like that. Its probably the only business in the world that it could happen in as well.

Bryan isn't Ryder though, with Ryder it was always kind of tongue in cheek, ironic sort of support. He could never deliver when it really mattered. Bryan can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 SteveWold

Mokuba wrote: »
    The Rock is one of the biggest movie stars on the planet. He was one of the biggest WWE wrestlers of all time. Unquestionably either the biggest or 2nd biggest star of his era.

Batista has done literally nothing except get cast in a lower-key Marvel movie and have a failed try at MMA. Batista arguably wasn't even in the top 5 stars of the era in which he wrestled if you count HHH, Michaels, Cena, Undertaker, Edge. Plus he isn't likable, which helps.

That's the difference. That's why Batista and the Rock are two completely different scenarios.

Batista was always a good draw/merch shifter when he was champ and and his return last week garnered Raw's highest rating in over a year.To say he's not likeable and has done ''literally nothing'' (which makes no sense when you then go on to list what he's done,btw) is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I actually really enjoyed that though. The pre-show had a great crowd really into NAO and could see the finish coming a mile away which led to a great reaction.

Bryan-Wyatt was so much fun. If Bryan was going to lose this was the way to do it. I thought they'd do a weak finish like a stoppage but it really made Wyatt look great.

Orton-Cena was decent. I haven't really paid much attention to their previous matches and was half watching this but they did well in spite of the crowd. They came off so professional that they made a crowd uproar look absolutely thick. The end was great. Wyatt-Cena could be very fun.

Lesnar-Show was weird but Show seemed legit injured.

The Rumble was one of my favourites. Highlights were Kofi, Ziggler's pop, giant swing, Reigns in general, Sheamus pop, Sheamus giving the crowd daggers when they were chanting for Bryan, Ambrose pishing himself laughing at the revolutions of the giant swing, Fandango and the small guy, and Ambrose turning on Reigns. Probably forgot some.

Enjoyed it but glad I didn't fork out.

One thing I forgot to say earlier: I'm pretty disappointed in the lack of surprise return. Was good to see Sheamus back. Nash - meh. Was hoping for Jake and I really thought Y2J would be in it. Ah well.

In fairness when he came back he wasn't a star, he was recieved fairly poorly on Raw last week.

Batista doesn't need to win the Rumble to be at Mania, we would have accepted him in the EC or joined the story somewhere along the way. It was such a waste though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Good show crowd made it as much as the matches,Really like a good crowd that don't eat up all the **** that's served to them.

Best show I've seen in a while.Great first match good second match lame third match apart from some funny crowd stuff.The finish stealing and Wyatt interference was good but a 422nd Cena Orton match at this stage on a PPV is just silly.

Thought the Rumble was great.Even though Batista winning is a bit iffy I thought the actual match was really enjoyable.Would've been epic had Reigns won or if Bryan entered.
    What does worry me are the few "supposed" matches being set up now for Mania.Didn't watch last years and the rumoured matches this year aren't enticing me at all either:(

D.Q wrote: »
    batista did nothing of note until the last few months before he left. They brought him back as the bland face, no interest in that.

well ill pay to watch that wrestlemania, rather than watch another PPV where bryan wins title then gets screwed out of it again on raw blah blah repeat repeat......im sick of that storyline.

well ill pay to watch that wrestlemania, rather than watch another PPV where bryan wins title then gets screwed out of it again on raw blah blah repeat repeat......im sick of that storyline.

are you actually advocating a Batista/Orton feud as something fresh and new?

I'm sick of that storyline too. The Rumble was a chance for that to change and in an ideal world lead to the big WM moment for the best performer of the past year, and the most over talent on the roster, Daniel Bryan.

But for some odd reason, that was not the road taken creatively. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Batista, glad to see him back, but headlining mania, please no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,822 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Bertser wrote: »
    Was hoping for Goldberg, then realised he's probably about 50. :(

Batista's not far off it either

Mick Foley ‏@realmickfoley 46m

Does @WWE actually hate their own audience? I've never been so disgusted with a PPV.

Says it all.

are you actually advocating a Batista/Orton feud as something fresh and new?

I'm sick of that storyline too. The Rumble was a chance for that to change and in an ideal world lead to the big WM moment for the best performer of the past year, and the most over talent on the roster, Daniel Bryan.

But for some odd reason, that was not the road taken creatively. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Batista, glad to see him back, but headlining mania, please no.

As per my original post was hoping for batista lesnar possibly, maybe someone else, just not daniel bryan the whole "YES" thing is getting old.

• Advertisement

As per my original post was hoping for batista lesnar possibly, maybe someone else, just not daniel bryan the whole "YES" thing is getting old.

If it wasn't for the ''YES'' chants then Bryan would probably be below Ziggler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Lies make Baby Jesus cry.

He's a standard wrestler. He's nowhere near big enough to be headlining Wrestlemania. I've never "gotten" him.

we'll just have to agree to disagree then.

For me its not about the Yes thing or any of that. For some reason I just connect with the Daniel Bryan character, as most of the best wrestling characters are, it just seems to be an extension of his actual personality, so its very easy to invest in the guy. Much more so than Batista. Batista is the most easily hatable character on tv. Some jacked up arrogant asshole, which is why the heel character worked so well, he's so bland and neutered as a face.

Bryan delivers week in week out,at the very least good - great matches, and garners the most passionate crowd reaction week in week out. anyway, see where it goes.

If it wasn't for the ''YES'' chants then Bryan would probably be below Ziggler.

Its good fun and all and good for crowd participation, but he is strictly useless with a microphone in his hand, hes as boring as orton as soon as he begins to speak, needs lessons from the rock , stone cold etc in that area imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jimmychung

Tonight was the equivalent of not having Steve Austin in the 1998 Rumble and Sid returning and winning it instead. Ridiculous.

He's a standard wrestler. He's nowhere near big enough to be headlining Wrestlemania. I've never "gotten" him.

Hes not. You may not like him which is fair enough, you cannot call Bryan a standard wrestler, like Ryder. Bryan is a fantastic wrestler, hes been loved since he was in the Indie scene and even now, he works hard and has amazing matches. Hes a fantastic worker, he can make someone look great as well as looking great himself. If he was taller he'd be a superstar, which is why hes being held back now. Right now hes about as over as SCSA ever was but they won't give him the push cause he won't earn them the money, apparently.

• Advertisement

Its good fun and all and good for crowd participation, but he is strictly useless with a microphone in his hand, hes as boring as orton as soon as he begins to speak, needs lessons from the rock , stone cold etc in that area imo.

and on that note, goodnight everyone. Its been beautiful.

we'll just have to agree to disagree then.

For me its not about the Yes thing or any of that. For some reason I just connect with the Daniel Bryan character, as most of the best wrestling characters are, it just seems to be an extension of his actual personality, so its very easy to invest in the guy. Much more so than Batista. Batista is the most easily hatable character on tv. Some jacked up arrogant asshole, which is why the heel character worked so well, he's so bland and neutered as a face.

Bryan delivers week in week out,at the very least good - great matches, and garners the most passionate crowd reaction week in week out. anyway, see where it goes.

professional wrestling needs these big jacked up powerhouses! In all fairness the rock is just as jacked as is lesnar, cena etc. If all wrestlers were built like bryan it would be fairly rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Was harsh that Reigns dumped Rollins out aswell considering the fact he reprimanded Ambrose for trying to dump Reigns out first off.

I wonder will this add another edge to the angle or will WWE just run with the general idea that it's a split now between Reigns and the other 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I was disappointed to miss the pre-show but glad NAO won. Bray-Bryan was a really good match I thought; Bray's clothesline and that Sister Abigail into the barricade both looked great. Can't believe Bryan lost clean though. The other 2 matches were grand as well and served their purpose; personally loved the Wyatts in the Cena-Orton match and I know I don't speak for myself given the reaction it got where I was watching. But I honestly don't care if WWE have some grand scheme planned for Bryan (which at this stage I'm doubting for the first time). They've brought back a 45 year old Batista who is at most a B star draw (if Austin and Rock are A* then even this is being kind), had him win the Rumble and he'll probably win the title at Mania. This is all at the expense of Daniel Bryan, the most universally over guy in a decade, at a time where him winning not only made booking sense but would have opened him up to a whole new audience of so-called 'casual' fans who could potentially buy into what we all know; that he's a superstar. I've always been optimistic when it comes to WWE's long term strategy but I'm genuinely disgusted by this. Raging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

:Keith: wrote: »
    Mick Foley ‏@realmickfoley 4m
    Does @WWE actually hate their own audience? I've never been so disgusted with a PPV.

Someone should tweet him and tell him to wait and see.

The only thing with Foley is he knows his audience very well and knows how to play him, take everything he says with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

professional wrestling needs these big jacked up powerhouses! In all fairness the rock is just as jacked as is lesnar, cena etc. If all wrestlers were built like bryan it would be fairly rubbish.

Yeah because New Japan and ROH are "fairly rubbish".

Oh wait. They consistently put on the best matches of any company in the world.

Definitely time to stay away from this thread with some of the comments in the last few pages.

Definitely time to stay away from this thread with some of the comments in the last few pages.

New Japan
    WWE ........slight difference there mate :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Only come out at Rumble and Mania thank god they are no where to be seen the rest of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Hes not. You may not like him which is fair enough, you cannot call Bryan a standard wrestler, like Ryder. Bryan is a fantastic wrestler, hes been loved since he was in the Indie scene and even now, he works hard and has amazing matches. Hes a fantastic worker, he can make someone look great as well as looking great himself. If he was taller he'd be a superstar, which is why hes being held back now. Right now hes about as over as SCSA ever was but they won't give him the push cause he won't earn them the money, apparently.

Huge Daniel Bryan fan but does he shift much merchandise? Does he sell more PPVs than the guys currently occupying the top of the card (Cena/Orton)?

Ratings and the above stuff are important things for WWE, does he attract viewers in key segments etc....?

Genuine question because all of this is important info as to why WWE are doing what they are doing. WWE have no interest in appeasing the niche market within an already niche market.

And this is coming from someone who was gutted he wasn't in the rumble.

BohsJohnny wrote: »
    Only come out at Rumble and Mania thank god they are no where to be seen the rest of the year.

Yes because everyone else are suddenly wrestling experts .......... #CouchPotato

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

New Japan
    WWE ........slight difference there mate :-P

I wouldn't be huge on Puro myself but New Japan undoubtedly had an amazing year and far and away the best matches in 2013. I'll probably always like WWE but just because they're the most globally recognised wrestling company doesn't mean they're the best.

Yes because everyone else are suddenly wrestling experts .......... #CouchPotato
    When someone calls Bryan average i can't respect anything they say about wrestling and what with the abuse i didn't called you a name thats come off pretty strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Deadlie wrote: »
    Can't wait to hear from the lads in the Woolshed. Can't imagine that went down well, there.

Bull**** chants aplenty. Lot of pissed off faces.

Could'nt hear the crowd but it looked bad.

Best thing Daniel Bryan can do is continue to steal the show and have the best match of the night, which he did.

Orton and Cena was utter trash other than the Wyatts running in.

BohsJohnny wrote: »
    When someone calls Bryan average i can't respect anything they say about wrestling and what with the abuse i didn't called you a name thats come off pretty strange.

Check my posts, i never called him average , nor would i doubt his talent as he is clearly a gifted entertainer.....i merely stated his storyline was becoming stale...... And no abuse but what gives anyone the right to diminish ones opinion whether they post all year round or every now and then. I can pretty much gaunantee i know more than most about the technical aspect of wrestling, yet i would still respect the the opinion of the leisure viewer.

Check my posts, i never called him average , nor would i doubt his talent as he is clearly a gifted entertainer.....i merely stated his storyline was becoming stale...... And no abuse but what gives anyone the right to diminish ones opinion whether they post all year round or every now and then. I can pretty much gaunantee i know more than most about the technical aspect of wrestling, yet i would still respect the the opinion of the leisure viewer.
    I would call Couch potato abuse but hey if you don't thats alright.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement