Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

water-damaged iphone5s

• 27-01-2014 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Right so this mate of mine is a spanner had the phone 2 weeks and droped it in a pint of vodka and juice he had insurance and got it replaced so i bought it off him just for the challenge of trying to fix it took it apart gave the logic board a bath (well 4 baths) in isopropil alcohol and put it back together after 15 mins of charge the phone started to beep every 5 seconds but no activity on screen plugged into pc it recognised was able to restore evrything worked as normal tested the homebuton seems to work (the back light is working ) the silent button vibrates on and off and the turn off button makes the noise it makes when the screen closes everything bar the touch functionality and lcd is working a new screen for it is about 150 bob so was hoping someone knows how i can test the mobo jacks to see if its not the connector on the mobo and not the screen any ideas
    ??? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

Just a warning before you spend much on it - I heard some networks will IMEI block a phone that has insurance written off on it- do you have a way of checking its not or will not be blocked soon? its technically their property now.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Are you familiar with commas, full stops and capital letters? I'd love to help but your post is tiresome after the first line or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭MissyFit

naasrd wrote: »
    Are you familiar with commas, full stops and capital letters? I'd love to help but your post is tiresome after the first line or so.

Are you familiar with the word anal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Hopefully you'l get the full-stop button and the upper-case button working soon, it is hard to understand what you're asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭MissyFit

deandean wrote: »
    Hopefully you'l get the full-stop button and the upper-case button working soon, it is hard to understand what you're asking.

Wow , another one . Maybe ye two should hook up . Ye both seem quite anal ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

deandean wrote: »

Funny I understood the question perfectly . If I knew the answer I would help but I don't .

Get over yourself with the grammar police rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 stefan212

Now i hate grammar Nazi's and no im not familiar with full stops and comas and i bluntly refuse they exist what i was asking i don't want to spend too much on it i want to test if the screen is gone or its the connections on the logic board oh and i dont get the anal jokes either .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

stefan212 wrote: »
    Right so this mate of mine is a spanner had the phone 2 weeks and droped it in a pint of vodka and juice he had insurance and got it replaced so i bought it off him just for the challenge of trying to fix it took it apart gave the logic board a bath (well 4 baths) in isopropil alcohol and put it back together after 15 mins of charge the phone started to beep every 5 seconds but no activity on screen plugged into pc it recognised was able to restore evrything worked as normal tested the homebuton seems to work (the back light is working ) the silent button vibrates on and off and the turn off button makes the noise it makes when the screen closes everything bar the touch functionality and lcd is working a new screen for it is about 150 bob so was hoping someone knows how i can test the mobo jacks to see if its not the connector on the mobo and not the screen any ideas
    ??? :confused:

liquid damage is more likely to damage electronic components on the main board then an interface like a connector

aimee1 wrote: »
    liquid damage is more likely to damage electronic components on the main board then an interface like a connector

so what do you think buy the screen and fit it to test ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

so what do you think buy the screen and fit it to test ??

me personally i wouldnt.

1. its more likely to be board damaged
    2. IMEI is likely to be blocked

• Advertisement

If the imei is not blocked the insurance let him keep the phone as it wasn't reported lost/stolen it was water-damaged.
    There was minimal corrosion on the board and the phone responds just like normal but the screen is dead.
    what im thinking now if i bring it to a phone repair shop would they test the screen for me or test a new screen if it works ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Now i hate grammar Nazi's and no im not familiar with full stops and comas and i bluntly refuse they exist what i was asking i don't want to spend too much on it i want to test if the screen is gone or its the connections on the logic board oh and i dont get the anal jokes either .
    The grammar nazi nazis are almost as bad as the aforementioned grammar nazis a term i find ridiculous and the nonsense is you dont tend to find one without the other waiting in the undergrowth so basically they are equally as bad as each other and i appreciate the irony of pointing out the flaws of pointing out the flaws of another but hey they have the right to fight for the right to be absurd but to be honest they do exist much as commas etc and stuff exist and serve more purpose than the aforementioned gns in that they clarify where your brain can take a breath and prevent nausea there are plenty of places offering to replace iphone screens i think i saw some recently doing it for 60 so that seems a lot better than your estimate so that would seem the best bet take it to one of them and as they are used to replacing these screens they will be quick to tell you if it is working or not and if not then they may not charge you anything or just a relatively small amount and just hang on to their new screen so that would be my suggestion some of the chinese ones are pretty good some are not so but depending where you are you might find one recommended near to you and they generally don't charge as much for labour as many phone shops seem to i hope that helps:) and yeah i don't get the anal references either some people seem to have a bit of a fixation

Advertisement