Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports injury doctor

Options
  • 27-01-2014 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a doctor near d6 that would be knowledgeable about knee/tendon injuries, not sure how much my local gp would know about it. It's nothing major, but I don't just want to pay 60 for a referral

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Kinda hard to get around it. If it's an existing problem you could ring your GP and ask for a referral letter without the visit. I got one for the Beacon knee clinic last week and it says 'please look at knee'. Referral letters are bull IMO, I am still going to have a pay an expert for a very expensive consultation when I get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I injured my knee skiing last week and I thought it would be a hit better by now, so need to get it seen. Not sure if a gp is worthwhile or if I should just go to a&e

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

Have you tried the Sports Surgery out in Santry? I'm not sure if you need to a referral from them or if just ring up.
    http://www.sportssurgeryclinic.com/services/sports-medicine/108

tbh, if I were you, my first port of call would be a physio-it could just be a bad sprain, it could be a slight tear in a muscle-but a visit to the physio would tell you a lot more than a gp (imo), it should cost the same as a Doc's visit, but you'll be left knowing a lot more-and if you need a referral, they should be able to help!

Hope it heals sooner rather than later!

itac wrote: »
    Have you tried the Sports Surgery out in Santry? I'm not sure if you need to a referral from them or if just ring up.
    http://www.sportssurgeryclinic.com/services/sports-medicine/108

tbh, if I were you, my first port of call would be a physio-it could just be a bad sprain, it could be a slight tear in a muscle-but a visit to the physio would tell you a lot more than a gp (imo), it should cost the same as a Doc's visit, but you'll be left knowing a lot more-and if you need a referral, they should be able to help!

Hope it heals sooner rather than later!

Thanks. That's what I was thinking too, made an appointment with the physio

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Reckon a good physio is the best place to start alright. Hopefully it's just muscular. Two years now trying to sort out my knee from my last ski trip :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

irishguy wrote: »
    Thanks. That's what I was thinking too, made an appointment with the physio

Hi Irishguy, just wondering how you got on. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews from people who went to sports surgery clinic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

jacko wrote: »
    Hi Irishguy, just wondering how you got on. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews from people who went to sports surgery clinic.

I have had both my knees done in the SSC. Both torn meniscus, in the exact same spot, 1 year apart (don't forget to stretch people :(). Both times I needed a referral, which I got from the physio in there. Was pricey though (around 100 iirc). MRS and most of the surgery cost was covered by my health insurance, but it would have cost me around 2.5k otherwise.

First one went brilliantly. In and out in 4-5 hours, walking within 3 days, and I was back running within 2-3 months. No pain at all, after 4 years.

Second one didn't go quite so well, and I'm having some trouble with it again. Same amount of time in surgery, but the recovery didn't go as well. Knee was still quite sore after my first few physio sessions (not in the SSC) , which were much tougher than the previous time. To be honest, I'm not sure if it was the surgery or the physio afterwards that did damage. Maybe a little of both.

Will probably have to go back to them to get it looked at again.

jacko wrote: »

Went quite well ended up going to local physio, did the stretches and its nearly back to normal. Just need to build up my quads

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

irishguy wrote: »
    Went quite well ended up going to local physio, did the stretches and its nearly back to normal. Just need to build up my quads

Thanks for the feedback irishguy. yea, I reckon a good physio should be able to sort out most things.

Advertisement